Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Prot warrior Annoying devastate as passive

I tried pretty much all tanking class, they all pretty much the same, except one difference is that with prot warrior is that there is no one base ability without cooldown that you have to pretty much use repeatably while tanking, all class have that and wars use to have that with devastate but now its a passive.

The result is that tanking has a war as a strange feel to it you have to wait secs before doing anything while waiting for your revenge and shield slam to become available. I dont know why they put devastate as a passive, I guess blizzard made to change for noob clickers to have an easier time tanking but for normal players tanking as a warrior is just more boring if you compare it to other classes as other classes there is at least that one basic ability you have to mash repeatably during tanking.
    Last edited by Vladar; 2017-11-18 at 04:14 PM.

You haven't play other tank classes if you are saying that prot war is boring D: and there is nothing to click lol

Then don't pick Devastator as a talent?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like the occasional empty GCDs that Devastator causes, but I freaking LOVE those moments of 5+ shield slam procs in a row.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladar View Post
    I tried pretty much all tanking class, they all pretty much the same, except one difference is that with prot warrior is that there is no one base ability without cooldown that you have to pretty much use repeatably while tanking, all class have that and wars use to have that with devastate but now its a passive.

The result is that tanking has a war as a strange feel to it you have to wait secs before doing anything while waiting for your revenge and shield slam to become available. I dont know why they put devastate as a passive, I guess blizzard made to change for noob clickers to have an easier time tanking but for normal players tanking as a warrior is just more boring if you compare it to other classes as other classes there is at least that one basic ability you have to mash repeatably during tanking.
    "Here is my attempt at looking like an advanced player, by complaining about the removal of a filler button that served no purpose. I hope you guys don't realize I'm really the noob tank who often gets kicked"

Did I get that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Vladar View Post

I actually prefer a resource, rather than GCD based approach. I would never play prot without devastator. Not every spec needs a GCD filled rotation.

Deleted
    Devastator made me reroll from Warrior having tanked with it for four years. It's an awful talent that is way too powerful (or was when it was introduced at least). A talent which automates the gameplay should not be stronger than its counterparts, ever. It should be a weaker option for those who are really casual and want to simplify the gameplay and don't care much for performance.

That said, Warrior feels really weak as is, they have almost no utility and I feel that DH is better in nearly every way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by By the Emperor View Post
    Devastator made me reroll from Warrior having tanked with it for four years. It's an awful talent that is way too powerful (or was when it was introduced at least). A talent which automates the gameplay should not be stronger than its counterparts, ever. It should be a weaker option for those who are really casual and want to simplify the gameplay and don't care much for performance.

That said, Warrior feels really weak as is, they have almost no utility and I feel that DH is better in nearly every way.
    Devastator changes nothing about the complexity of your rotation. Instead of spamming devastate during open windows you're now spamming the shield slam button anticipating autoattack procs during open windows, and let's be honest, those instant Shield Slams or series of Shield Slams feel way more satisfying than just a series of GCD Devastate hits. So you're not really clicking things less or more, except with Devastator you actually get an abundance of rage to use your other abilities, so if anything it increases activity of the rotation. The devastate rotation feels slow, rage-starved and clunky by comparison.

Most people hated the concept devastor when it came out. I did too. But those who actually still play prot and stuck with it really like it now, atleast compared to devastate.
    Last edited by mmocfc1af170a3; 2017-11-19 at 07:52 AM.

For me Devastator is main reason why Warrior tanki so cool. Having Devastate bake in auto atacks is much better then spamming crappy ability and counting it will proc your better atacks. Devastator is what make Legion Prot warr interesting

Don't skill Devestator if you dislike this playstyle. If you don't play upper M+ or Mythicraids, you will still perform good enough.
    As saying every tank has a spammy button.. Nope. Not if you want to play as defensive as possible - even dps'ing doesn't require always spamming.
    As DH, sure - you spam the shit out of it ; as DK there are moments you shouldn't spam mindless (for example using all RP in an instant or using up all runes without looking at BS or waiting for enough runes for a HS > DS > HS > DS "soft" healing rotation)

I think most people agree that devastator rotation is a lot better than what we had at the start of Legion. But if you are low on haste you will have empty gcds.

The rotation in Legion is a lot more boring compared than what we had in MoP and WoD in my opinion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demos1184 View Post
    Devastator changes nothing about the complexity of your rotation. Instead of spamming devastate during open windows you're now spamming the shield slam button anticipating autoattack procs during open windows, and let's be honest, those instant Shield Slams or series of Shield Slams feel way more satisfying than just a series of GCD Devastate hits. So you're not really clicking things less or more, except with Devastator you actually get an abundance of rage to use your other abilities, so if anything it increases activity of the rotation. The devastate rotation feels slow, rage-starved and clunky by comparison.

Most people hated the concept devastor when it came out. I did too. But those who actually still play prot and stuck with it really like it now, atleast compared to devastate.
    You can't tell me that devastator doesn't simplify the gameplay, you have seconds where there is literally nothing for you to press, spamming shield slam in hopes of it becoming ready at just the right time from a proc does not change that.

I feel like I would fall asleep from boredom if I played with something like devastator, here's to hoping Blizzard never introduces an equivalent of it for Vengeance ever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I don't like the occasional empty GCDs that Devastator causes, but I freaking LOVE those moments of 5+ shield slam procs in a row.
    With 30%+ haste its pretty rare to have free GCDs.

You can't tell me that devastator doesn't simplify the gameplay, you have seconds where there is literally nothing for you to press, spamming shield slam in hopes of it becoming ready at just the right time from a proc does not change that.

I feel like I would fall asleep from boredom if I played with something like devastator, here's to hoping Blizzard never introduces an equivalent of it for Vengeance ever.
    You can't tell me that mashing devastate during empty GCDs is in any way more complicated than autoattacking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    You can't tell me that mashing devastate during empty GCDs is in any way more complicated than autoattacking.
    Doing something will always be more difficult than doing nothing, as that something takes up awareness from other things and gives you subject to error in using it when you should have used something else. Regardless of how minor you might consider it to be, something will always be more than nothing.

You feel you would get bored? So you didn't try it? ... Good to know.
    And here was Sco, probably the best warr tank in the world, saying that being successful on warr forces you to keep a high pace.

Also i don't believe you know what automating the gameplay means, do devastator procs automatically cast SS or does it apply sb or ip?

You don't want devastator, spec out of it, bigger ips bigger hp pool. Having choice is bad, not having choice is bad. How about you complain about something real, like Druids and dks being mandatory for mythic KJ

Thx, bye.

Doing something will always be more difficult than doing nothing, as that something takes up awareness from other things and gives you subject to error in using it when you should have used something else. Regardless of how minor you might consider it to be, something will always be more than nothing.
    Not when that thing is "always mash this button". It ceases being difficult, or challenging in any way.

That's why I compared it to autoattacking. Autoattacking requires some action that starts attacks, and fits your criteria of "something harder than nothing", but I don't think any of us finds autoattacking in any way difficult.

Calling it in any way complicated is overstating the complexity of doing something automatically for the sake of winning an argument.

10+ Year Old Account

Translation: I do not understand Devastator or what it does.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Understanding how devastate works and fueling it with enough haste is the key to removing 99% of all empty gcds as prot.

People who say Warriors have alot of downtime probably just tried their hand at protection by hitting a target dummy.
    I can tell you that there is hardly any downtime in actual dungeon environments.

Shield Slam resets very often while tanking, and if it does not, Thunderclap and Revenge are enough of a filler.
    Every other gap is filled with movement, Shockwave, defensives, active mitigation, Victory Rush, etc.

I find a DK has more downtime than my Warrior with Devastator.
    Last edited by Powell; 2017-11-19 at 05:28 PM.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want