Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladar View Post
    I tried pretty much all tanking class, they all pretty much the same, except one difference is that with prot warrior is that there is no one base ability without cooldown that you have to pretty much use repeatably while tanking, all class have that and wars use to have that with devastate but now its a passive.
    Which ability would that be for a monk, DK or pally though? I know that druids have swipe and DH's have a generator, but everything a monk does has a CD or costs resources. They are gcd locked, depending on your talents and legendaries, but not baseline.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by By the Emperor View Post
    Doing something will always be more difficult than doing nothing, as that something takes up awareness from other things and gives you subject to error in using it when you should have used something else. Regardless of how minor you might consider it to be, something will always be more than nothing.
    When Devastator first hit PTR notes I got worried and even more so when I heard it was going to end up being the go to. Felt like it was going to end up playing like Demon Blades or something.

However, I'm not one to make assumptions and whine based on it so I tried it out and as someone who's had a prot warrior since BC it's nothing like Demon Blades. Prot Warriors have enough going on to have to worry about mindlessly filling GCDs with Devastate and frankly some situations had you too busy to hit Devastate so that proc chance was then wasted. There's hardly any empty GCDs with the talent (and if you end up with one it's only because you're pooling rage for mitigation) and moving Thunder Clap to being more useful was a much better change. Not to mention the extra rage from the talent inherently gives you more to do by spending rage on AM (which is pressing even more buttons) or even Revenge. Realistically the difference between Indom and Devastator APM is probably pretty minor. The change was fantastic and whining about something you admitted to having no knowledge of is pretty ignorant.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2017-11-20 at 05:56 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

I can honestly say that i would probably not play warrior if it wasnt for devestator atm. I tried leveling a warrior with my friend and just spamming devestate was so boring. if i wanted to spam 1 button the entire time i could just go play Diablo. there is no skill in it its just pressing 1 button over and over again untill you can press a key that actually does something.

I was also very skeptical about Devastator, but it won me over pretty quickly. Beyond the fact that it performs well, it also plays better than Devastate spam and frees your GCDs for actual tanking stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    "Here is my attempt at looking like an advanced player, by complaining about the removal of a filler button that served no purpose. I hope you guys don't realize I'm really the noob tank who often gets kicked"

Did I get that right?
    It's a bit harsh, but you have the point. With enough haste (+30%), Devastate becomes more annoying than useful, not to mention the talent completely negates human error. Imo Devastator should be baseline.

I agree with the people pointing out that Devastator should now be part of our default tool set. Even for the flow of how warrior works currently, i see no much point in having a filler like devastate. All this changes if in the new XPAC, our mechanics change that is.
    Created on the 25th April 2005.
    Protection Warrior since the old days of UBRS.

P.S. Make a part of your warrior community happy and bring Gladiator Stance back...

Quote Originally Posted by Vladar View Post
    I tried pretty much all tanking class, they all pretty much the same, except one difference is that with prot warrior is that there is no one base ability without cooldown that you have to pretty much use repeatably while tanking, all class have that and wars use to have that with devastate but now its a passive.

The result is that tanking has a war as a strange feel to it you have to wait secs before doing anything while waiting for your revenge and shield slam to become available. I dont know why they put devastate as a passive, I guess blizzard made to change for noob clickers to have an easier time tanking but for normal players tanking as a warrior is just more boring if you compare it to other classes as other classes there is at least that one basic ability you have to mash repeatably during tanking.
    Are...you mad at Prot Warrior because you don't understand their talents?

And did you also describe "mashing the same button as other specs" as less boring gameplay?

THIS right here is why specs are fucked beyond recognition, if THIS is the feedback Blizz listens to.

Devastator is more compelling, less binary by a longshot than any other choice in the tier. Which is funny, because although it removes a button from rotation it actually opens the spec up to variety in the rotation/priority, and synergizes quite nicely with existing class mechanics.

Now, back when Devastate applied Sunder Armor too...
    Last edited by Goobaman; 2017-11-24 at 07:35 PM. Reason: lulz

How does removing a button open up the spec to variety in rotation priority??? It feels a lot more sluggish now to me though I guess I was one of the few that actually even prefered unyielding strikes, I love high APM. Our rotation is now pretty much 2 (3 when revenge procs or if you want to do more damage) buttons with AOE baked in directly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eatdamuffin View Post
    How does removing a button open up the spec to variety in rotation priority??? It feels a lot more sluggish now to me though I guess I was one of the few that actually even prefered unyielding strikes, I love high APM. Our rotation is now pretty much 2 (3 when revenge procs or if you want to do more damage) buttons with AOE baked in directly.
    dunno about you but i still press more then 1 button per GCD on average. high apm is important to warrior class and thats still the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Eatdamuffin View Post
    Because the Devastator talent generates Rage. Pressing Devastate does not.

This alone ensures higher Rage generation because the Devastator talent STILL also resets Shield Slam. Thus, you end up with MORE Rage generation with which to smooth out your rotation. You are literally pressing fewer buttons but having more of nearly any kind of throughput you'd like to measure. To my knowledge, Devastator can: generate more rage, deal more damage and, because of increased rage, yield better survivability than any other choice in that tier. It's especially effective with the Vengeance talent to synergize Ignore Pain with Revenge since you now have improved Rage regen.

Plus, because it ties to your autos, it makes Haste SO good on Prot. It's pretty impactful during Hero too, thanks to many more autos and many more procs of the talent which also then means more SS procs. (can't remember if Haste affects the Devastate CD...haven't used it in a while LOL).
    Last edited by Goobaman; 2017-11-28 at 06:54 PM.

Deleted
    Reading more comments here makes me assume, that one of the reasons why prot warrior is underrepresented is, because of ppl having no clue about how it actually works, and how stats synergize with mechanisms. And instead of trying a bit harder to crack it open, they go back to their bears...

Quote Originally Posted by Sonol View Post
    Reading more comments here makes me assume, that one of the reasons why prot warrior is underrepresented is, because of ppl having no clue about how it actually works, and how stats synergize with mechanisms. And instead of trying a bit harder to crack it open, they go back to their bears...
    You are so right about this