Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Free weeekend and trying to pull in friends and smurfs

So, I've had 3 friends who tried the game so far and none them have been even considering to buy the game.

Why?

We faced smurfs. The moment they walked around corners a hanzo or widow shot them in the head instantly, if not that there was a genji wrecking half the team or a soldier who ended up with like 80% kill participation at 47 elims.

Blizzard really needs to sort this out if they want people to buy the game and play. As it stands, they're not going to touch the game again because they didn't think it was fun at all.

And how would you suggest that blizzards fox the problem? Should they invent a way that makes it impossible for an experienced player to create a new account that magically does not effect new players? It is a couple button presses. It isn’t possible.

Meanwhile I’m level 600 playing with someone’s friend on my team who is level 7 and can’t seem to figure out how to move dva while firing guns at the same time.

Your friends have to put up with smurfs just like I have to put up with your friends.

Furthermore, your friends may not of liked the game for more reasons than just being smurfed. It is unrealistic to enter a game and not face other people who know what is going on. You just have to slog through some shit til you learn like everyone else.If they really wanted to play overwatch they would.

I’m not locked in here with you, your locked in here with MEI!
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing you're console players because all you need to do to get another account to smurf with on console is make one.

If not... your mmr is probably effecting the matchmaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Under Your Spell View Post
    So, I've had 3 friends who tried the game so far and none them have been even considering to buy the game.

Why?

We faced smurfs. The moment they walked around corners a hanzo or widow shot them in the head instantly, if not that there was a genji wrecking half the team or a soldier who ended up with like 80% kill participation at 47 elims.

Blizzard really needs to sort this out if they want people to buy the game and play. As it stands, they're not going to touch the game again because they didn't think it was fun at all.
    I've said this before but you cannot really fix this, they just need to bear it until level 10 or so at which point they'll still face smurfs but considerably worse ones, but there will be more actual new players.

If you're playing on your main that isn't helping with matchmaking either, especially if you are farming their newbies.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played a ton of game with my spouse's pubg buddies on the free weekend. I was actually surprised at how few smurf accounts we saw. I kind of expected that people would take advantage of the free weekend to do that, but I guess the idea of smurfing quick play is just less appealing than competitive and you can't get comp on the free weekend I don't think (level 25 would be hard to reach in two days even if it is allowed).

I'm not saying they're not out there, just surprised I saw only a couple personally.

Anyway, I agree they are super annoying but I am not really sure what Blizzard could do about this. I can't think of any restriction to stop it from happening that wouldn't unfairly punish nonsmurf players and groups.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn’t just a problem in the free weekend. Find yourself below 2100 and it’s competitive mode day in day out.

Pretty much what everyone said : there's nothing Blizzard can do about it. What is your solution to solve this issue ? How can you safely, reliably make a difference between a smurf and a newbie ? What is your definition of newbie ?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Being bad is the first step to gittin gud, before anyone was gud, they were bad. Not everyone is as equally skilled at the start but everyone can learn to git gud. - Ythisens
    Tofinish list : NOTHING CAUSE I FINALLY DID IT.
    Todo list : S;G0, New Game, Erased.

People have stated that after 2 smurf games they ended up in matches with people with at least 1 Star, so the game recognizes those with skill and moves them.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    And how would you suggest that blizzards fox the problem? Should they invent a way that makes it impossible for an experienced player to create a new account that magically does not effect new players? It is a couple button presses. It isn’t possible.

Meanwhile I’m level 600 playing with someone’s friend on my team who is level 7 and can’t seem to figure out how to move dva while firing guns at the same time.

Your friends have to put up with smurfs just like I have to put up with your friends.

Furthermore, your friends may not of liked the game for more reasons than just being smurfed. It is unrealistic to enter a game and not face other people who know what is going on. You just have to slog through some shit til you learn like everyone else.If they really wanted to play overwatch they would.

I’m not locked in here with you, your locked in here with MEI!
    Proper internal matchmaking like they proposed for heroes of the storm.
    Make it so the matches heavily evaluate players performance.
    If they in the first game get 40 kills their average would be 40 kills per match. then match them against players that have that average whenever they play a character that is meant to kill people.
    If they just were lucky and is matched up with good players their average will drop after 20-30 games their average with assassin chars will match their skill level.
    Same with healers tanks and siege.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

15+ Year Old Account
    Not to sound like a total noob but WTF is smurf/smurfing?

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Creating a new account. Several purposes such as :
    - Stomping newbs ;
    - One trick hero ;
    - Play without having your friends/stalkers constantly whispering you.

In this thread, OP is talking about the 1st case : stomping newbs.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Being bad is the first step to gittin gud, before anyone was gud, they were bad. Not everyone is as equally skilled at the start but everyone can learn to git gud. - Ythisens
    Tofinish list : NOTHING CAUSE I FINALLY DID IT.
    Todo list : S;G0, New Game, Erased.

10+ Year Old Account
    People have stated that after 2 smurf games they ended up in matches with people with at least 1 Star, so the game recognizes those with skill and moves them.
    Played a bunch of matches with my friend, smurfs dominated 90% of them...had the same smurfs multiple times...and saw the same smurfs multiple times...jackasses were even talking shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Under Your Spell View Post

Why?

My friend had this same problem. He's use to playing paladins so going to Overwatch where you can go 100 to 0 is quite common. Go around a corner, sniped by Widow, Scatter Shot by Hanzo, nuked by a Bastion, flash banged around a corner into a fan the knives, hook + gunshot (yes, I've heard it doesn't happen, but I've watched numerous killcams of myself getting that exact combo) or 3 shots from soldier's gun + rocket. Literally every time he spawned it was insta-dead and like that for a lot of people. This normally happens as well and just gets frustrating.

forgot it was free weekend, no wonder my arcade matches for the boxes went so bad. Nothing like having nothing but torb and widow on attack.

That's what I've heard but I've seen a lot of smurfs still in low level games even after being 25+. Also, stars are just levels and doesn't mean much in terms of skill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Answered this on the official forums. Smurfing is having an alt account, there are several reasons to do this:

Legit reasons:
    - You're internet famous on your main account and want some incognito time.
    - Your main account is for exclusive use with a premade group.
    - You're somehow utterly incompetent with much of the roster and so your MMR is horrendously out of whack with your ability to even begin to practice on those heroes at anything close to your main's level, even in QP.

None legit reasons:
    - Playing with friends of vastly different SR: This is circumventing a the system that's put in place to aid with matchmaking as bigger gaps are harder to match.
    - Boosting friends.
    - Playing at a low rank to beat on lower skilled players.
    - To troll/grief.

Unfortunately, people choose to do it for the none legit reasons vastly more than they do it for the legit ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    That's what I've heard but I've seen a lot of smurfs still in low level games even after being 25+. Also, stars are just levels and doesn't mean much in terms of skill.
    Yes but new players trying the game out don’t have stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Answered this on the official forums. Smurfing is having an alt account, there are several reasons to do this:

Legit reasons:
    - You're internet famous on your main account and want some incognito time.
    - Your main account is for exclusive use with a premade group.
    - You're somehow utterly incompetent with much of the roster and so your MMR is horrendously out of whack with your ability to even begin to practice on those heroes at anything close to your main's level, even in QP.

None legit reasons:
    - Playing with friends of vastly different SR: This is circumventing a the system that's put in place to aid with matchmaking as bigger gaps are harder to match.
    - Boosting friends.
    - Playing at a low rank to beat on lower skilled players.
    - To troll/grief.

Unfortunately, people choose to do it for the none legit reasons vastly more than they do it for the legit ones.
    It can also be fun to just make a smurf when your main has plateaued, try and see if you can get to the same rank again or perhaps higher, but yeah sadly a lot of people will do the none legit things a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Or, or, you are really practicing hard with someone and it ended up where you have 130 hours played as that hero and your second most played is at 25 hours. It happens.
    Member of every Blizzard beta club.

Yes but new players trying the game out don’t have stars.
    Yes, I know that, but that has nothing to do with the comment you posted.