Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Experience from heirlooms as a buff

I've brought this up earlier, but it's been years so I figured I'd try again to see if people agree.

I love to level new alts every once in a while, and the scaling tech being introduced to the old world in BfA got me eager to do it again. Without heirlooms it goes a bit too slow, so I always use them because of the exp-bonus. But the heirlooms also removes some of the most fun parts of leveling; the feeling of getting a nice upgrade that makes you feel stronger. Mobs dies in a few hits anyways, but just vendoring an item you just got because it goes in a heirloom slot feels a bit lame.

I would love for the exp-bonus from your heirlooms to be a buff in the form of an item like the anniversary-gift. If you only have the head and shoulder heirlooms, you'd get a buff item worth 20% exp bonus, but those two slots would be free to use for quest-rewards or drops. This would probably make your char a tiny bit weaker, but in my opinion it would make leveling more enjoyable.

What do you think? Would you still use heirlooms, or would you just apply the buff?

They will do a revamp on the stats of Heirloom items, so you won't oneshot everything. Guess that solves your problem.

That's the thing though.. the experience boost negates the armor you get from quests, dungeons, etc. Last time I leveled a character I noticed I was running around at level 40 with like level 12 bracers, etc. I'm with you though.. I'm ready for the patch change to be able to finish a zone without out-leveling it. Should be fun. IDK, seems the only real answer is if you want gear to matter and leveling to slow down would be to not use heirlooms at all. Haven't done it in a while, but seems though leveling goes fairly quick even without the xp boost.

I made same thread years ago also. The main reason why - it's beacuse the items you're getting from the dungeon/quests are pretty much useless, which destroys the fun. People are racing asap to the highest level.
    I think that Herloom bonus for the experience should be a buff(that can be toggled off/on). But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    They will do a revamp on the stats of Heirloom items, so you won't oneshot everything. Guess that solves your problem.
    you have problems reading arent u?

I wouldn't mind it as an option, but then again if I want to take my time leveling, I don't want the XP buff either and thus opt out of wearing looms entirely.

The days when players would cream their pants over a leveling dungeon blue item from content 90 levels below Max, are long gone though.

I like heirlooms as they are, granted they're a tad stronger than rares of their level... nonetheless, I don't fancy the idea of levelling up quick while having gear lag several dozen or so levels behind, which is the whole point of heirlooms in the first place of remedying.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2017-11-18 at 11:33 PM.

With zone scaling, you can level optimally and get the best xp and normal gear in whatever zone you're in, so you'll be leveling better in the future without Heirlooms anyway.

But I agree, the xp separate from the armor would be nice, because some people don't want the buff to power but may still want to get more xp.

Quote Originally Posted by Velfar View Post
    If you only have the head and shoulder heirlooms, you'd get a buff item worth 20% exp bonus, but those two slots would be free to use for quest-rewards or drops.
    There is not enough gear obtained from quests to fill all the slots if there is just a buff of experience. Do you want a tank in your Stratholme dungeon who has level 18 armor and half of the slots are empty? Or a healer who runs out of mana after 3 casts?

dont even try to take my Heirlooms.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

If you had just a buff, you'd be replacing the items constantly anyway, so why would the upgrades feel valuable?

It's like the cloaks/necks you get from random dungeon loot, where every dungeon or every two dungeons you replace it.

I seriously hope they dont.
    if you want slow leveling through an old designed world, suit yourself, play naked.
    Apart from questing in the same zone for lore-reasons (enjoying a zone's lore is something I havent done since TBC) I really don't want to be spending my time not one-shotting things when leveling a character.
    I know you guys want to say you're special snowflakes who likes challenge in leveling but there seriously is no point and you'd be complaining at wow forums in less than a week

10+ Year Old Account
    have they said that? They're gonna have to do a lot more than that, we borderline oneshot things in full green items (and for some classes, like monks, in no gear at all, including with no weapons) for the first 90 levels already... They need to rebalance the mobs themselves too, suppose that's inevitable with the impending stat squish, but the last one is what screwed it up to begin with, so I guess we just have to hope it gets done right this time..
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-11-19 at 06:58 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Velfar View Post
    I've brought this up earlier, but it's been years so I figured I'd try again to see if people agree.

I love to level new alts every once in a while, and the scaling tech being introduced to the old world in BfA got me eager to do it again. Without heirlooms it goes a bit too slow, so I always use them because of the exp-bonus. But the heirlooms also removes some of the most fun parts of leveling; the feeling of getting a nice upgrade that makes you feel stronger. Mobs dies in a few hits anyways, but just vendoring an item you just got because it goes in a heirloom slot feels a bit lame.

I would love for the exp-bonus from your heirlooms to be a buff in the form of an item like the anniversary-gift. If you only have the head and shoulder heirlooms, you'd get a buff item worth 20% exp bonus, but those two slots would be free to use for quest-rewards or drops. This would probably make your char a tiny bit weaker, but in my opinion it would make leveling more enjoyable.

What do you think? Would you still use heirlooms, or would you just apply the buff?
    The heirlooms are the functional part of speed leveling. If you get a drop you like, you summon your yak and xmog to it. Then go back to leveling. Problem solved.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nuba View Post
    I know you guys want to say you're special snowflakes
    It's not so much that I disagree with you on this issue, but what makes those who do "special snowflakes"? Why aren't you the snowflake? Why do people call people who think different from them snowflakes?

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Ya I hope they remove one element from Heirlooms one way or another. They are way too OP with both exp AND crazy stats. They should just be strong pieces of gear if you ask me, not give exp too.

Either way, as soon as they get 7.3.5 on the PTR I will be trying some naked leveling to see just how the experience is. I have a feeling that once they scale the mobs the leveling experience will get a lot smoother.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Felfaadaern Darkterror View Post
    It's not so much that I disagree with you on this issue, but what makes those who do "special snowflakes"? Why aren't you the snowflake? Why do people call people who think different from them snowflakes?

I actually wonder if it's possible to stay in the right level bracket while going through a zone these days even without heirlooms. The exp required to go from 1-60 has been reduced several times, and because of that you should find quests rewarding little to no exp before you finish the zone.
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    I actually wonder if it's possible to stay in the right level bracket while going through a zone these days even without heirlooms. The exp required to go from 1-60 has been reduced several times, and because of that you should find quests rewarding little to no exp before you finish the zone.
    It's not, you grey out even without heirlooms and that was in Cata.
    When I was younger I used to hope bad things wouldn't happen.
    Now I just hope they're at least funny when they do.

i have the opposite issue. i want the power and consistency of heirlooms without the experience gain.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think heirlooms should we WEAKER than stuff that you get on specific level. So you have clear choice - more tough, but quicker leveling or relaxing, but slower experience.