Star Wars Galaxies: Classic

Is it possible? Now that Blizzard has announced a Classic WoW, any chance we could get a Classic SWG? I know the problem is that EA owns the video game rights to Star Wars, but if that were to change....?

I just really want to play a sandbox Star Wars mmo.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's too dated now.

Have awesome memories of this game though.

There's elements/concepts that were part of the original SWG pre CU and NGE that I'd like to see a new MMO give a spin. Revive SWG as it was, though? It would look terribly ancient compared to even WoW nowadays, let alone countless other MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    Is it possible? Now that Blizzard has announced a Classic WoW, any chance we could get a Classic SWG? I know the problem is that EA owns the video game rights to Star Wars, but if that were to change....?

I just really want to play a sandbox Star Wars mmo.
    No, Disney owns the rights, not EA.
    EA is making a few games but they have no say in a matter such as this.

SWTOR is all you will get until the license for it runs out.

You can, SWGEmu.

I believe SWGEmu is also officially endorsed or given 'thumbs up'.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    No, Disney owns the rights, not EA.
    EA is making a few games but they have no say in a matter such as this.
    Uhh, Disney sold the rights to produce ALL Star Wars games to EA. EA absolutely would have say in this, and it would take a negotiating agreement to breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Uhh, Disney sold the rights to produce ALL Star Wars games to EA. EA absolutely would have say in this, and it would take a negotiating agreement to breach.
    No, they licenced the rights.
    They can very much take it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    No, they licenced the rights.
    They can very much take it back.
    False.

They have an exclusive contract.

They can not breach that contract unless EA violated the terms of said contract. The contract is what it is until it expires or Disney buys it out.

If it worked like it did in your magical fantasy world Disney would "take back" their rights to X-Men and Fantastic Four movies.

So please, keep posting false information like it's a fact. It's always interesting when people do that.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-11-21 at 09:23 AM.

False.

They have an exclusive contract.

They can not breach that contract unless EA violated the terms of said contract. The contract is what it is until it expires or Disney buys it out.

If it worked like it did in your magical fantasy world Disney would "take back" their rights to X-Men and Fantastic Four movies.

So please, keep posting false information like it's a fact. It's always interesting when people do that.
    Really? Could you link me the contract, please?

Disney can still legally re-launch SW:G if they wanted. They are the ones behind Battlefront 2, the original one, getting it's servers relaunched, not EA for example. EA's rights concern all and only the NEW Star Wars games, Disney can do whatever the hell they want with the old ones.

Only way for Disney to break their agreement would be if they intended to launch a NEW Star Wars game product.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Disney can still legally re-launch SW:G if they wanted. They are the ones behind Battlefront 2, the original one, getting it's servers relaunched, not EA for example. EA's rights concern all and only the NEW Star Wars games, Disney can do whatever the hell they want with the old ones.

Only way for Disney to break their agreement would be if they intended to launch a NEW Star Wars game product.
    You might want to go and read before commenting. The exact wording is EA has the right to produce and distribute Star Wars games across all core gaming devices(consoles, PC). Disney only maintains the rights to mobile games.

You might want to go and read before commenting. The exact wording is EA has the right to produce and distribute Star Wars games across all core gaming devices(consoles, PC). Disney only maintains the rights to mobile games.
    Ah, then I and the rest of the world must've dreamt the re-release of Battlefront II servers (by Disney).

Disney maintains any and all rights to products and IPs they acquired via acquisition of LucasArts and it's videogaming department. EA has the license to produce and distribute, as the sole company, new Star Wars games in the fashion you descripted, but for all the already existing products previous to the deal they have no say onto and Disney may and will do as they please with them.

It is you whom might have to work on the matters of re-reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcdevlin View Post
    You can, SWGEmu.
    Last I played the Basilisk server was decently populated.

No way would this game ever get an official re-release.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Fox View Post
    Last I played the Basilisk server was decently populated.

No way would this game ever get an official re-release.
    Last time I bothered checking on the emu was a few years back, but it was still very buggy; most professions hadn't been added in yet, very few skills worked, mobs were spawning underground and could hit you with impunity, but you couldn't target them...

Actually, it was kind of like the original game immediately following the release of the original "combat upgrade."

As far as an official re-release, it would need to be re-worked and expanded; overhaul the graphics, add more immersive quests outside of the faction "theme parks", more dungeons, but keep the mix-and-match character building, the open world, player housing, and the ability to really craft your own story/adventure. The game was kind of empty unless you were big into the RP scene and that's definitely something that would need to be addressed for the current generation of impatient and unimaginative gamers.

I'm sure Disney has given the idea some measure of thought because a lot of people have such fond memories of the game (prior to the "New Game Enhancements" that destroyed it, anyway), and the fact the Old Republic has failed to live up to expectations. Thing is, who would they license it to? Probably not EA after the recent debacle with Battlefront and I doubt they'd be willing to give Bioware another shot at running an MMO.
    Last edited by Osoroshii; 2017-11-30 at 06:25 PM.

What a weird way to write "please re-release Warhammer Online".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    What a weird way to write "please re-release Warhammer Online".
    That game was a boring abomination. What in the world are you going on about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.