2yr old seeking upgrade

Budget: ~$1000
    Resolution: Not sure what's requested here?
    Games / Settings Desired: Improve the graphics but specifically to be able to stream on twitch pubg 60+ fps at all times. Game settings low. (current setup drops to 30/40 at times)
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Parts that can be reused: Existing Computer listed below

All parts are 2yrs old

Processor: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 3.50GHz
    Motherboard: Z97 Gaming 5 (MS-7917)
    RAM: DDR3 32GB (4x G.Skill 8gb)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB
    HD: 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD (only 12gb space)
    Monitors: Pretty old, unsure how much monitors impact on how the games look?
    Power: Seasonic G series 550w 80Gold

Let me know if ive missed anything critical and thanks for having a look.

resolution is pretty important - like what resolution is your monitor, what resolution are you playing at?

Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    pubg 60+ fps at all times. Game settings low. (current setup drops to 30/40 at times)
    i'm gonna guess you are playing at 1080p, so um, pubg is just a bad game for fps. you look in certain directions (towards a city or whatever) and it's gonna choke something up. happens to people with $10,000 setups, it is just the game right now.
    they are releasing the v1 patch next month, hopefully they have been doing a lot of optimisation work, i didn't play the test servers last weekend though so idk how it is looking.

a graphics card upgrade will help up your average fps in-game, though you will still get drops due to the game.* is your cpu overclocked?

with your current setup you can probably stream at 720p 30fps. have you tried at all?

[*i think at 1080p, a gtx 1060 should be able to keep you above 60fps most of the time? i'll wait for others to give their experiences first!]
    Last edited by the boar; 2017-11-20 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    resolution is pretty important - like what resolution is your monitor, what resolution are you playing at?

i'm gonna guess you are playing at 1080p, so um, pubg is just a bad game for fps. you look in certain directions (towards a city or whatever) and it's gonna choke something up. happens to people with $10,000 setups, it is just the game right now.
    they are releasing the v1 patch next month, hopefully they have been doing a lot of optimisation work, i didn't play the test servers last weekend though so idk how it is looking.

a graphics card upgrade will help up your average fps in-game, though you will still get drops due to the game.* is your cpu overclocked?

with your current setup you can probably stream at 720p 30fps. have you tried at all?

[*i think at 1080p, a gtx 1060 should be able to keep you above 60fps most of the time? i'll wait for others to give their experiences first!]
    Thanks for your response. A friend has also recommended the 1060 GtX 6gb so I will be getting that, any recommendations on the brand?

Need a new monitor too as current is 1440x840 or so I think., may upgrade the CPU later but will leave as is for now. With monitor I am going for a 2560x1440 with g-sync. Are you able to make some recommendations?

Having tried streaming before and the CPU isn’t overclocked - do you have a link to a how to for overclocking?

if you are going for 1440p you should forget the 1060, wont be good enough for those extra pixels!
    a 1070 will work (it is what i have), but there are also 1070 ti, 1080, and 1080 ti around now. i don't know what the best price per performance is right now, might be some good bargains to be had during the black friday stuff though. hopefully someone with better knowledge about the range can chip in~

for cpu overclocking, i am not sure if i am allowed to link to other forums - but google "haswell overclocking guide <whatever brand of motherboard you have>" and you'll find what you need! but do make sure you have a decent aftermarket cooler, the stock intel one is not so great for this.

upgrading your cpu will cost a lot of money right now, for arguably little benefit (compared to the cost, at least) as you will need a new motherboard and new ram. the haswell i5s are still pretty good (i still have one), and if you can overclock it up to 4.4ghz or so its a nice little boost for the cost of a $30-40 cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    if you are going for 1440p you should forget the 1060, wont be good enough for those extra pixels!
    a 1070 will work (it is what i have), but there are also 1070 ti, 1080, and 1080 ti around now. i don't know what the best price per performance is right now, might be some good bargains to be had during the black friday stuff though. hopefully someone with better knowledge about the range can chip in~

for cpu overclocking, i am not sure if i am allowed to link to other forums - but google "haswell overclocking guide <whatever brand of motherboard you have>" and you'll find what you need! but do make sure you have a decent aftermarket cooler, the stock intel one is not so great for this.

upgrading your cpu will cost a lot of money right now, for arguably little benefit (compared to the cost, at least) as you will need a new motherboard and new ram. the haswell i5s are still pretty good (i still have one), and if you can overclock it up to 4.4ghz or so its a nice little boost for the cost of a $30-40 cooler.
    If I am not mistaken, the 1070ti is the best price/performance ratio, but only if you are going to manually OC it. If you have no interest in manually OCing your GPU then you want to get a factory OCed 1080. Otherwise, get the 1070ti for less and OC it and it will be near the same performance as a factory OCed 1080. If all you want id the top performance, price be damned, go for the 1080ti.

Totally agree on all the rest. Definitely google a guide specific for you motherboard, though most generic Haswell OCing guides are fine.

Deleted
    Overclocking will get you marginally higher fps, particularly before the first 40 people are dead, but it will do little to help with capturing and gaming on the same box. You'll need a separate capture machine to play at 60 and stream at 60 though.

Quote Originally Posted by DonGenaro View Post
    Overclocking will get you marginally higher fps, particularly before the first 40 people are dead, but it will do little to help with capturing and gaming on the same box. You'll need a separate capture machine to play at 60 and stream at 60 though.
    So run two cards you mean?

So run two cards you mean?
    they mean another pc dedicated to streaming. unless you are aiming to get affiliated on twitch and make streaming a part of your life, i don't think it would be worth it?
    your i5 will stream 30fps okay, it's not going to win a beauty contest but it'll be watchable.

it is up to you though in the end, do you aim to make streaming a big part of your life? if so a proper setup can be considered an investment. but if you're just streaming now and again, i think you'll be okay

grab your new graphics card and monitor, try streaming at 30fps, see how it all feels. if you are unhappy you can always come back and ask for advice on how to improve the quality.

Thanks for your response. A friend has also recommended the 1060 GtX 6gb so I will be getting that, any recommendations on the brand?

Need a new monitor too as current is 1440x840 or so I think., may upgrade the CPU later but will leave as is for now. With monitor I am going for a 2560x1440 with g-sync. Are you able to make some recommendations?

Having tried streaming before and the CPU isn’t overclocked - do you have a link to a how to for overclocking?
    Your motherboard has a feature called "OC Genie" in the bios if I am not mistaken, should be a red button for it at the top left as soon as you get into the bios. Click that and let the MSI software handle it. I have this board in an older rig that sits in the guest room and the built in overclocking software is MORE than sufficient for a good stable OC

As far as streaming what is your internet connection speed? Upload speed primarily. The reason I ask is because you say you want to get a 1440p Screen and stream at 1080p 60 FPS, that alone is going to cause some issues. First off your stream software is going to have to down sample your 1440 60+ fps feed to a 1080 60fps feed, that uses resources. Also the bandwidth for that stream is going to be big. If you set it at 3600 bitrate and are trying 1080 @60fps its going to look like a turd. I am not going to lie to you, streaming pubg at 1080p@60 WHILE playing and while looking good it is even a task on my Intel machine thats linked in my sig. Also keep in mind im trying JUST off my PC hardware and no capture card. I dont do it enough to warrant an internal capture card so haven't bothered with it but sure it would help.
    Last edited by Moozart; 2017-11-22 at 02:04 PM.

Awesome thanks all for some really solid advice - this forum is the best!

Edit: For those interested I went with;
    ASUS 106 GTX Dual OC 6gb for $365 AUD
    AOC AGON G2460PG 24" 144hz G-Sync gaming monitor $500 AUD

and then thought what the hell;
    Sennheiser GAME ONE open acoustic PC gaming headset $199 AUD
    Last edited by Uurdz; 2017-11-24 at 12:35 PM.