View Poll Results: What is World of Warcraft to you?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • The lore

53 70.67%
  • The artwork/style

35 46.67%
  • The races/classes

38 50.67%
  • The game engine (PC performance)

7 9.33%
  • The game engine (feel of the game, responsiveness of abilities, etc.)

25 33.33%
  • The dungeon/raid content

28 37.33%
  • The PvP design

4 5.33%
  • Other (comment)

8 10.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.

What is World of Warcraft?

What makes the game World of Warcraft to you? What is it about WoW, other than nostalgia or habit, that keeps you playing WoW versus another MMORPG?

If Blizzard replaced the setting of WoW with Starcraft or Diablo, but kept everything else the same, such as exact class mechanics and abilities, but "reskinned" to fit the new setting, would you still be happy with WoW? What if they kept the setting of WoW, but changed the game to play like ESO with active dodging, aiming via cross-hairs, etc.? Would you still be happy with WoW? What if they kept everything exactly the same, but changed to a photo-realistic engine that ditched the "cartoonish" art style? Would WoW still be WoW to you?

The way WoW is going, at some point the story will be completely new and different. So far, we've lost Bolvar, Varian, Magni, Thrall, Garrosh, Vol'jin, Cairne, and to an extent Jaina as faction leaders. At some point, Tyrande and Sylvanas may die. We're losing Teldrassil and Undercity. We've lost most of the dragon aspects. We're basically losing Sargeras too. At what point in the story does WoW become something other than WoW?

Why is Wildstar, SWTOR, ESO, and/or any of the other MMORPGs not as appealing to you as WoW? For me, SWTOR and ESO have no underwater support in their engines. I know that may seem minor to a lot of people, but it makes the game feel less like a real world to me if I can't swim underwater. I like the art style of WoW, which SWTOR is pretty close to. For me SWTOR was the biggest challenger to WoW, but I really enjoy the fantasy setting of WoW. However, the lore of WoW leaves a lot to be desired for me. I prefer EverQuest's story with the pantheon of gods and such. I don't like games based on existing mythology like if someone went with Olympus, etc. I also don't think a game with a contemporary setting would hold my interest very long. I need some dragons, but I need them to be WoW or EQ style dragons rather than Game of Thrones style.

What about you? EverQuest Next seemed like the perfect storm of features to pull me away from WoW, but that evaporated. What could Blizzard do after WoW to pull you in as strongly as they did with WoW?

Definitely game design followed by the races/classes.

By far the game feel.
    I know for a fact that there are games out there with a better aesthetic, better lore, better anything, but without even having played them I'm sure that nothing can match World of Warcraft in that aspect.
    Even when its individual gameplay systems suck donkey balls (and more often than not they do) its basic game feel is flat out addictive and irreplacable.

The faction war, the story, the races, the way multiple elements are put into WoW and still manage to make sense, the characters that even after death leave a legacy.

I tried Swtor after my friend begged me to it.But i didn't felt the same when chosing a faction there.

Maplestory is a MMo that i loved and still love, but WoW still wins, the game just did so many things right that is hard to break away.

Lore, races, environment, and just the general look and feel of Warcraft. No other MMO even comes close to being as beautiful as WoW to me.

The community made my early experience more than the setting or the content.
    It was that which allowed me to experience more of those.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I only know people on wow and im a fucking loser who cant make friends.

I kinda dig the cartoonish feel.

Lastly, my /played is too high to abandon the game at this point.

World content. The old leveling experience and the Suramar campaign are the most fun I've ever had in a game, way more fun than I ever had raiding.

Raid, Dungeons and PvP. It's important there are always things to do for players that don't give a banana about lore/artwork + style. I value gameplay efficiency highly.

World of Warcraft is a feeling.