Any recommendations on how to get 2k rating? (Arena vs RBG's)

So TL: DR - I've played this game for like 9 years but I've never gotten into rated PvP, only PvE, but I like these sets that have come out recently and I'd like to try and get them.

So my question is pretty much:

What would you recommend I should do to get 2k rating? Either try and get a guildmate to do Arena with me? or should I join random RBG teams in the group finder and just hope I eventually get to 2k?

My guild is full of pretty much PvE players so I'm not sure how Arenas would go.

I have no experience with any rated PvP so I'm not sure how the system works or what would be a better choice.

Edit for clarity: Playing an Arms Warrior (not a flavor of the month re-roller), I mainly tank though.
    Last edited by Tygerman; 2017-11-21 at 07:45 AM.

so i'm pretty much the same way raider not very much PVP xp i pretty much just random que using PVP dungeon finder and grind up to 2k just look for Viable comp

i really wouldnt recommend doing the 2k achiev in rbgs unless you have a full team of good people willing to teach you, pugging rbgs is super toxic (even more so than normal pvp) and is not really a great field for learning from my experience

Depending on what class you play, i'd get a friend thats willing to learn, and semi good at pve, and just do 2s for hours on ends to learn your class, while looking up pvp guides on youtube

Played A LOT of pvp over the years, and i know from when ive been asked to teach friends how to play arena, that its super unforgiving if you dont know what the opposing classes can do, especially in legion if you're playing a healer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tygerman View Post
    So TL: DR - I've played this game for like 9 years but I've never gotten into rated PvP, only PvE, but I like these sets that have come out recently and I'd like to try and get them.

What would you recommend I should do to get 2k rating? Either try and get a guildmate to do Arena with me? or should I join random RBG teams in the group finder and just hope I eventually get to 2k?

My guild is full of pretty much PvE players so I'm not sure how Arenas would go.

I have no experience with any rated PvP so I'm not sure how the system works or what would be a better choice.
    Maybe you should start with what class you play.

10+ Year Old Account
    The season only has 1 week left (ends november 28th). You might want to set your eyes on 2k next season.

As for actually improving and getting to 2k rating, look up PvP guides, watch YouTube videos and livestreamers of people playing your class at high rating. Set up focus macros, (optionally if only going for 2k) have keybinds for arena123 targetting and focusing. Know how your class works and what other classes do.

To find a partner, advertise yourself as a new player wanting to climb rating in group finder or trade chat. Optionally emphasize that you want to learn and are looking for chill players since there are a fair amount of butthurt and asshole players who think way too highly of themselves.

have a good partner and practice a lot. I startet as a pvp newb with a shaman mate , at first we were total newbs, and made our way to 2.3 and multi duellant in tbc /wotlk. Even got a 5vs5 with 2.4 k on a strong streak and gladi. Last time i played arena with some ambition was i think pandaria or so, nowadays i dont have any pvp oriented friends in wow anymore.

If u want to "random" your way up, i recommend joining as a healer. On my shaman, i can get 1800 rating with just everyone in 2ws, its just a matter of time. If other guy from dungeon finder is good, it spikes up to 2 k pretty quickly, can be done in one evening.
    But going further requires a lot of small important micromanagment stuff and communication with teamspeak, and practice with the same guy. People have gotten very good In arenas, its not like it was in tbc, if u make very little mistakes or non ideal plays in high dampening scenarios, u will loose those matches to similar skilled, but a little more experienced teams, even if u are a legacy duellant / gladi player. This can be straining on your motivation and teamintern relationship .
    Last edited by Holofernes; 2017-11-21 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    have a good partner and practice a lot. I startet as a pvp newb with a shaman mate , at first we were total newbs, and made our way to 2.3 and multi duellant in tbc /wotlk. Even got a 5vs5 with 2.4 k on a strong streak and gladi. Last time i played arena with some ambition was i think pandaria or so, nowadays i dont have any pvp oriented friends in wow anymore.

If u want to "random" your way up, i recommend joining as a healer. On my shaman, i can get 1800 rating with just everyone in 2ws, its just a matter of time. If other guy from dungeon finder is good, it spikes up to 2 k pretty quickly, can be done in one evening.
    But going further requires a lot of small important micromanagment stuff and communication with teamspeak, and practice with the same guy. People have gotten very good In arenas, its not like it was in tbc, if u make very little mistakes or non ideal plays in high dampening scenarios, u will loose those matches to similar skilled, but a little more experienced teams, even if u are a legacy duellant / gladi player. This can be straining on your motivation and teamintern relationship .
    You get rating in 2s still? I thought it was just 3s and RBGs?
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

I'm trying to get 2k on my Warrior, so I'll be playing Arms. I'm usually a tank but I play the dps specs from time to time when I have to. I'm trying to get my feet wet with Casual queues for the moment. I was looking for premades earlier but they all want experience so I'll probably just see if a guildy wants to do 2's.

As for the rating, how long does it take to get 2k usually? I guess I had a misconception that you could get it within a week since I always here people talking about "capping their rating for the week" or whatever. I may have misheard them though.

Besides that, thanks for the tips so far!

Edit: I'm not trying to go hardcore or anything, I've got my hands full with the new raid coming out soon, I'm just looking to get tmog sets. So I'll be stopping once I get to 2k, at least that's my plan.
    Last edited by Tygerman; 2017-11-21 at 07:43 AM.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ga...aderboards/2v2

american servers 2v2 leaderboard. U get ratings, achm, but no titles from 2v2. 2vs2 is best for practice, because its slower than 3vs3.

Starting with 3vs3 and getting raped by rmp/d opener with out any clue of whats happening aint fun for newcomers.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm trying to get 2k on my Warrior, so I'll be playing Arms. I'm usually a tank but I play the dps specs from time to time when I have to. I'm trying to get my feet wet with Casual queues for the moment. I was looking for premades earlier but they all want experience so I'll probably just see if a guildy wants to do 2's.

As for the rating, how long does it take to get 2k usually? I guess I had a misconception that you could get it within a week since I always here people talking about "capping their rating for the week" or whatever. I may have misheard them though.

Besides that, thanks for the tips so far!
    how long it takes depends on your teams skill level. capping only means playing the 10 wins for the chest, in old iterations of arena there was a "conquest point cap" after 10 wins, where u hit your max points per week, and thats where the term capping comes from: from capping the currency you got for arena wins.

You have a mmr, match making rating, which gives you oponnents on a similar level. Now if u beat them, your mmr will rise, and you will get stronger opponents. beat them again, and so on. so if u are a strong player on a 2k lvl, u will face 2 rated teams after like 5-10 games after starting fresh from the bat. Now you win two of those teams, and suddenly u are up to 2.3 k teams. Now beat those , and the follow ups at 2.4k plus too (each of those wins gives +98 or so points), and you got your 2 k rating after like 15 games.

More realisticy u get rofl stomped by the 2.3 k teams, your mmr gets back to like 2k. u get 2k rated teams and play 50/50 against those ,and if u hold this level constantly after 50-70 games your rating meats your mmr. Getting out of this zone only works by improving your skill, not by playing more games. Once your rating has reached your skill level, it doesnt changed much.

Its possible to get 2k in rbgs but it is a lot more work then people assume, to say get 2k in a rated bg, that means you must be in a team of the top best 3% of players - That is not that trivial. Even plodding along in the 1600's means your team is better then 65% of the people you meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    You get rating in 2s still? I thought it was just 3s and RBGs?
    Yes, the only thing they removed from 2s is the titles.

You can still get the elite transmog by hitting 2k in 2s.

Edit for clarity: Playing an Arms Warrior (not a flavor of the month re-roller), I mainly tank though.

yikes. well, this is tough to do in 4 days (when season ends) so might as well just wait until next season homie

having said that, let me provide some insight on how you can get 2k, for sure, in arena, and maybe in RBGs(no one seems to want a warrior in their group above 2k)

one of the strong comps in arena right now is Thundercleave, you, and Ele and Rdruid pref. i have never played the comp myself, but watched one of the Method teams(last years champs) just DISSECT people during the Euro tournie and Blizzcon. Check them out on youtube.

but real talk, getting on comms is paramount. you guys need to figure out propers CC rotations, peel well, and establish an "are you ready?" to line up your burst and cross-CC. find yourself a seasoned Rdruid firstly before the shaman, his ability to CC is most important

as for RBGs, well, like I said previously, not a lot of groups want a warrior. The meta comp has been MW, Hpriest x2, DH x2, Rogue, Spriest, along with some viable utility like Ret/Lock/Ele/Hunter, second rogue or even third DH.

having said that, your concerns of finding a competent and capable team are actually the real struggle, and I have a few personal rules I follow to ensure a good group:
    1. make sure the comp is viable and all boxes are checked(strong healers, base sitters, peelers, stealthers, strong team fight, no reliance in having full team together(some build comps that are zergy, and when split up are just straight trash, think mongo melee cleave)
    2. wowarmory every1 in your group to check current cr and previous xp. if you are 1800cr, and every1 is 1600cr, and you lose, YOU lose A LOT of points
    3. identify the people in your discord/curse call and make sure all 10 have a mic. toxic angry leaders, power trippers, and goofy girls are always a really bad sign in my 7 years of playing
    4. make sure BEFORE you que that you have a capable and confident flag-carrier that understands the concept of kiting, standing in the back of the group and ranging the other team while staying in LoS of you healers AND a sociable, chatty target caller that gets how to rotate targets once defensives are popped. this is one if not THE most important aspect of your RBG team, because you need to be focusing your target to ensure kills, as well tell your other team members to cross-CC healers during kills if they aren't already. your target caller and leader should be the most experienced.
    Last edited by Auberdeen; 2017-11-25 at 01:52 AM.

I got my 2k in RBGs in MoP, and up to about 1,6k-1,7k in Legion. I wouldn't recommend the achievement through RBGs because:
    - people want xp, the higher and fresher the better. With my 2K from MoP, I'm too "old". 2k itself is too little for many leaders too
    - time. Finding a group takes time (as in listed in the group finder). Finding people takes time. Playing takes time. Winning takes time
    - not a lot of people/guilds especially. Those that exist Will either be completely noobish, out of your league (and mine) or disband quickly
    - if you do find people, be prepared for some angry little shits that'll leave because you lost the first mass fight

I've had plenty of fun in RBGs too, don't get me wrong, but getting that 2k will take a loooot of time

I have not hit 2k in arena but I feel with the right team mate(s), it'll be a smoother and faster way
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Deleted
    Definately you can be more easily carried in an egg them an arena for high rating.
    Egg depends a lot on leader target called.

You can hit 2k in rly any composition. Fl
    For 2v2 stay dps+heal as its just better and easier than double dps. 2k is so easy to rush in one day if you dont panic. Answer offensive cooldowns with defensive one. People at around 2k pop def cds randomly without thinking. If you will play with brain you will just win dampening games.

For 3v3 if you are not best player play pure damage compositions like Turbo, TSG or dh/dk/x. Caster cleaves will work great too but need little more coordination. Jk sometimes its single spell lock without even 1 cc whole game xD

Buy it. If you've never gotten 2k in this expansion, you will never be invited to groups who can achieve it. If you have a friend, pick the FOTM classes and do 2s.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

@Tygerman

- Study PvP strategies. Read.
    - Watch the best players of your spec playing, learn. Just a random one I found.
    - Never make excuses for something that happened, even the very best make mistakes and something can always be done better. Not taking responsibility is a trap that will keep you from improving.
    - Add people from the LFG, play an easy comp for your spec, currently I suggest You/Ele/Druid.
    - As you get better add the people you beat and trade up your partners until you find people you want to play with long term.
    - Do not take shortcuts with your keybindings and macros. There are a lot of things that are really non optional, like:

/target arena1
    /target arena2
    /target arena3

/focus arena1
    /focus arena2
    /focus arena3
    As well as focus or at arenaX bindings for utility abilities such as Kick or Fear.

/cast [target=focus] Falcon Punch
    /cast [target=arena1] Ferocious Laughter
    ---

Oh right, RBGs are bulldonk low skill fusterclucks.
    Last edited by Speaknoevil; 2017-11-30 at 06:12 AM.