Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is anime really despised in Japan itself?

You know despite being such a phenomenon that has been around for some hundred(s) of years, I hear the majority of Japan does not look at anime as a medium well and especially do not appreciate foreign tourism solely for its sake. At all. This is mainly because I read Japanese citizens are generally very hard working and expect the same standard of effort out of others around them, so naturally those overenthusiasts of anime and video games that would be seen as "nerds" elsewhere are actually frowned upon very, very badly there by general society.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's partly because it's strongly tied to NEET culture, which is despised in Japan.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Anime is nearly universally loved.

Otaku culture on the other hand, is seen differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Anime is nearly universally loved.

Otaku culture on the other hand, is seen differently.
    there's a difference between that shit? You know, anime being MADE by otaku in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    there's a difference between that shit? You know, anime being MADE by otaku in general.
    Is there a difference between little girls watching My Little Pony and hardcore Bronies watching it? Same concept.

Words have meanings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anime isn't made by otaku anymore than video games are made by gamer culture nerds. Or movies being made by cinema buffs. A lot of it is commercialized bullshit made by focus groups and whatever board of directors is in charge of said property.

Anime isn't loved or hated really anymore in Japan than it is anywhere else, though it is a part of the culture there. There's a reason Goku is the cultural ambassador for the 2020 Olympics, haha.
    Last edited by Phookah; 2017-11-21 at 11:32 PM.

First off, pretty much ANY hobby when taken to extremes is frowned upon because they think of it as ignoring responsibilities for your own enjoyment.

Secondly... TV has only been around for a bit less than a century, so how the heck could anime have been around longer?

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Anime isn't made by otaku anymore than video games are made by gamer culture nerds. Or movies being made by cinema buffs. A lot of it is commercialized bullshit made by focus groups and whatever board of directors is in charge of said property.

Anime isn't loved or hated really anymore in Japan than it is anywhere else.
    Speaking of which, isn't the market for anime sustained heavily by these Otaku?

Uhh, Japan loves Anime. It's a very very large portion of both their TV and theater revenue.

What is looked down upon is Otaku and NEETS from the working class Japanese. There is a growing crisis in Japan of many kids living with their parents and still unemployed at 30+ who literally obsess over anime, cosplaying and going to conventions. These are the people that are looked down upon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anime is one thing. Manga is entirely different in Japan. Manga is the preferred source of entertainment in japan.

Well people have said that "everyone watches anime" in Japan but it's not true, adults are embarrassed when caught watching anime or reading manga just like some adults here are embarrassed when caught reading comics. It's seen as something more for kids.

If you were to pull out a manga during your lunch break and started reading it, your coworkers would make fun of you.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Is there a difference between little girls watching My Little Pony and hardcore Bronies watching it? Same concept.
    Kinda different. Anime is specifically made to satisfy Otaku culture. My little pony is a series that happens to be popular with certain section of adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    Anime is specifically made to satisfy Otaku culture.
    You might not want to generalize like that. There is anime specifically targeted at Otaku culture yes... and there is anime that is just targeted at young children, regular teenagers or just in general everyone like disney cartoons.

Is it because anime fans are kind of associated with creepers?

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Is it because anime fans are kind of associated with creepers?
    Nah, not really. From personal experience, it is widely accepted, but also something that young people are expected to eventually grow out of, similar to comics anywhere in the US. Obsessive fans are associated with creepers though, as it is generally seen with irk.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post

Anime isn't loved or hated really anymore in Japan than it is anywhere else, though it is a part of the culture there. There's a reason Goku is the cultural ambassador for the 2020 Olympics, haha.
    I would have gone with Mr. Satan, myself. He is the World Martial Arts Champion and the Protector of Earth, after all. Just seems a little disrespectful to give it to Son Goku is all I'm saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Well people have said that "everyone watches anime" in Japan but it's not true, adults are embarrassed when caught watching anime or reading manga just like some adults here are embarrassed when caught reading comics. It's seen as something more for kids.

If you were to pull out a manga during your lunch break and started reading it, your coworkers would make fun of you.
    Well if that were true it would just makes the society over there seem pretty crappy and immature. I go to work every day with a batman logo on my bag, and I'll discuss with co-workers the latest movies including marvel and dc movies, and with certain co workers comics themselves.

If japan really does have that kind of attitude about liking fictional drawn stories, they need to pull that broom out their cake holes.
    #boycottchina

You know despite being such a phenomenon that has been around for some hundred(s) of years, I hear the majority of Japan does not look at anime as a medium well and especially do not appreciate foreign tourism solely for its sake. At all. This is mainly because I read Japanese citizens are generally very hard working and expect the same standard of effort out of others around them, so naturally those overenthusiasts of anime and video games that would be seen as "nerds" elsewhere are actually frowned upon very, very badly there by general society.
    UH HUH, thats why they're the ones that created it and keep putting it out.

Yeah. They totally despise it. Completely. Your confirmation bias has been satiated. The echo chamber can come down, the world is easier for you to understand.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tttsssrrr View Post
    I would have gone with Mr. Satan, myself. He is the World Martial Arts Champion and the Protector of Earth, after all. Just seems a little disrespectful to give it to Son Goku is all I'm saying.
    well, Son Goku actually defends the earth. Mr. Satan is a good martial artist, but he can't even use ki for crap's sake. Yamcha can use ki. FRIGGIN' YAMCHA.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening