Rift Gamescom Report

https://www.thegharstation.com/2017/...eport-part-22/

IKIK a month late, only other potentially related thread has been dead for 4 months as well.

the big thing I saw here was this

Can you give us some details on the Challenge Servers? – It is something we are actively developing internally right now, but can’t go into any more detail yet. The first one will be “Fresh Start” in style, 1-50, open world zones, and probably some polished and cleaned up systems alongside it.

How would this fit in with the main game? I recall this causing issues in Archeage. – This is the NUMBER ONE question we are dealing with. We want players to be on the same playing field from the start, but we want to make sure there is something beneficial to 6-7+ year old accounts. There will be other kinds of challenge servers in the future that will let you copy over your live character. What we are calling challenge servers are different rulesets and different styles of plays. Permadeath server, free-for-all PvP server, maybe around for a month with rewards for participating and higher rewards for top rated players. Think closer to seasons that you see in games like Path of Exile or Diablo 3.

sploooshhhhhhh

Nothing of interest. It'll probably only work for a very niche amount of people in Rift's situation.

I imagine a lot of people who probably want this have moved on to greener pastures. I wouldn't come back personally unless the main game itself sees some improvements. Not this as a band aid which ironically wouldn't be one. I mean I've always said if they did Classic servers I'd take a look but with those games I always want to play the current version alongside it. Be it Runescape, WoW or Everquest.

Unless they completely go back to the design philosophy of the original game/Storm Legion in the current game well "Challenge Servers" aren't going to save it.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-11-21 at 08:30 PM.

I'll take an interest in the "fresh start" servers if, and only if Trion has the original talent trees with all the fun hybrids in place. Outside of that, I'm really disappointed with this news. This isn't like the WoW Classic announcement where the current retail game is in a good spot and can do this. Rift is in an abysmal state and every last resource available to Trion should be focused on fixing Rift.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    I'll take an interest in the "fresh start" servers if, and only if Trion has the original talent trees with all the fun hybrids in place. Outside of that, I'm really disappointed with this news. This isn't like the WoW Classic announcement where the current retail game is in a good spot and can do this. Rift is in an abysmal state and every last resource available to Trion should be focused on fixing Rift.
    This is just a way for them to avoid improving the game. They're still relying on old content. Sad.

I've been saying this for years. I mean sure, back in Chocolate and SL things weren't bad, but there were still unresolved bugs/issues and I even said back then they need to spend a little more time fixing the broken stuff before working on releasing new stuff. If they had made this change in their behavior back then, we might not be in the state we are currently in. Sure, the content patches may not have been quite as massive, but they were releasing content so fast they could have afforded to slow it down a bit at the time. Now whatever they do will be too little too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I've been saying this for years. I mean sure, back in Chocolate and SL things weren't bad, but there were still unresolved bugs/issues and I even said back then they need to spend a little more time fixing the broken stuff before working on releasing new stuff. If they had made this change in their behavior back then, we might not be in the state we are currently in. Sure, the content patches may not have been quite as massive, but they were releasing content so fast they could have afforded to slow it down a bit at the time. Now whatever they do will be too little too late.
    Well, the bugs were part of the problem but I don't think they were everything. I think the largest part of the reason the game went down the drain was because the team was far too focused on being WoW 2.0 instead of focusing on what Rift does well. So they focused on instanced raiding, that screwed everything up. It screwed the open world content, PvP content, rifts, zone events, one time events, any dynamic world content, the talent trees, hybrids, and so on. They tried to make the game into something it wasn't suppose to be.

I don't think it's too late to save the game, but Trion is going to have to take a big risk if they want to save their flagship game. They're going to have to hire up a lot of people, do extensive work to all of the callings, completely split away from the idea that raiding should be the endgame content, and return to what the game was all about back when it first launched. If I want to raid, I'm going to play WoW. They just do such a better job and they have the resources to do such a good job.

Well, the bugs were part of the problem but I don't think they were everything. I think the largest part of the reason the game went down the drain was because the team was far too focused on being WoW 2.0 instead of focusing on what Rift does well. So they focused on instanced raiding, that screwed everything up. It screwed the open world content, PvP content, rifts, zone events, one time events, any dynamic world content, the talent trees, hybrids, and so on. They tried to make the game into something it wasn't suppose to be.

I don't think it's too late to save the game, but Trion is going to have to take a big risk if they want to save their flagship game. They're going to have to hire up a lot of people, do extensive work to all of the callings, completely split away from the idea that raiding should be the endgame content, and return to what the game was all about back when it first launched. If I want to raid, I'm going to play WoW. They just do such a better job and they have the resources to do such a good job.
    Eh I wouldn't even call Rift their "flagship game" anymore.

Trove seems like it gets the most attention and has the spotlight at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Eh I wouldn't even call Rift their "flagship game" anymore.

Trove seems like it gets the most attention and has the spotlight at the moment.
    Trove definitely is where all of Trion's love is going right now. Rift was just the game that put Trion on the map and was wildly successful for a time.

Oh, I'm not saying that's the only problem I saw. I saw the signs back then from other things as well. It's just one of the things people complain about that has been going on since the very beginning. I often criticized this, and other things, back when the game was in it's prime and I actually enjoyed playing too.

Also, yeah, it's too late to save Rift. It's reputation has been tarnished and will not be able to recover from that. Enough people dislike Trion that they won't touch anything with Trion's name on it. About the only way to save Rift at this point would be to sell it to another studio and what studio would take this steaming pile?

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Oh, I'm not saying that's the only problem I saw. I saw the signs back then from other things as well. It's just one of the things people complain about that has been going on since the very beginning. I often criticized this, and other things, back when the game was in it's prime and I actually enjoyed playing too.

Also, yeah, it's too late to save Rift. It's reputation has been tarnished and will not be able to recover from that. Enough people dislike Trion that they won't touch anything with Trion's name on it. About the only way to save Rift at this point would be to sell it to another studio and what studio would take this steaming pile?
    Well have you not seen what they've recently done by making the game P2W?

There's a thread here on it. Basically you can buy Captured Intel now which gets you some pretty decent gear and the prices are absurd.

Rift for all intents and purposes is not recovering. It's dug too far down. It said "No Tricks, No Traps" then proceeded to bombard the game with a paid gear slot, paid souls that were originally made OP, previous tier gear to get you into the current raid, the ability to equip specific gear in NMT and now essentially selling powerful gear.

They just don't learn. I mean I want the game to go back to how it used to be but it's not happening. And not to sound malicious but this game deserved it. It made a statement then blatantly turned it's back on that statement and lied to it's players.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Well have you not seen what they've recently done by making the game P2W?

There's a thread here on it. Basically you can buy Captured Intel now which gets you some pretty decent gear and the prices are absurd.

Rift for all intents and purposes is not recovering. It's dug too far down. It said "No Tricks, No Traps" then proceeded to bombard the game with a paid gear slot, paid souls that were originally made OP, previous tier gear to get you into the current raid, the ability to equip specific gear in NMT and now essentially selling powerful gear.

They just don't learn. I mean I want the game to go back to how it used to be but it's not happening. And not to sound malicious but this game deserved it. It made a statement then blatantly turned it's back on that statement and lied to it's players.
    Oh, I know. At one point in time I do not think there were very many people more dedicated to the game than me. I literally wrote the guide for end game, with some help from a few other players. During SL, I was max level in under a week. I took time off from work and played my ass off and am in some of the earliest kill videos for TotDQ in SL. I think you know this but others around here may not. I was about as extreme of a fanatic as you could get.

Even back then I was saying things like they need to stop focusing so much on new content, slow down and fix the stuff that's broken first. I also was not impressed with their attitude about things like Conquest and other PvP even back in chocolate. They seemed to have this attitude that they knew what we wanted. Apparently, everyone loved CQ, even PvE Only players, so BiS PvE rewards were in CQ in the form of trinkets and CQ power. I had other issues and things I tried to talk to them about, yet even back then, those posts got shut down and/or deleted. They are blind to the market, blind to what players say and think they know best no matter what, despite evidence to the contrary staring them in the face.