Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
  1. #81
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    17,769
    Pretty good tonight, most games pretty balanced. Just the one bad one where I'm tanking against a Widow and Hanzo, and my team just won't use my shields... Got a new season high, 2438, but dropped a little back to 2399.

    Also this happened. https://plays.tv/video/5a2482d140d34...quintuple-kill
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2017-12-03 at 11:06 PM.

  2. #82
    Immortal Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The basic (proposed) kind of code of behaviour you're agreeing to:

    1> I will play what the team needs, over my personal preference, if I cannot do both at once.
    2> I will be friendly and constructive in both team and voice chat.
    3> I will cooperate with team strategy, even if I disagree with it (and will suggest a change IF it fails).
    4> I will be the change that the team needs, rather than insisting someone else do it.
    5> I will remember that we're here to have fun, and remember that losses happen.
    Then people are going to start asking Blizzard to ban everyone who has SSDs or can click a hero faster than them lol

    The overwhelming feedback of this game's community is that damage heroes are more fun to play. You can sign off on whatever you'd like, but eventually people are going to get tired of not being able to play the heroes they want to play and they'll stop wanting to play competitive because to them it's competitive but you can only play Lucio. It's just tiptoeing around the problem.

    We really have to nip this "DPS main" problem in it's bud and get all the people who cannot contribute out of Competitive Play.
    And while the cobras dance around your feet like you're a god
    It only takes one bite for you to realize you are not


  3. #83
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    17,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    Then people are going to start asking Blizzard to ban everyone who has SSDs or can click a hero faster than them lol
    Basically sums up the community, they think banning everyone will get them to GM.

  4. #84
    Anung un Rama Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    48,774
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    Then people are going to start asking Blizzard to ban everyone who has SSDs or can click a hero faster than them lol
    Perhaps we should add a qualifier that obviously false reports would ALSO be against the code of conduct, and get you removed for making them.

    A lot of those issues would come down to a solid examination of what happened, and reports might get both the reporter AND the reported taken out, if they were both being prats. None of this queue stuff should be automated; it all needs to be looked at manually.

    If your favorite hero got picked before you had a chance, tough nuts. You can ask if the other guy'd be willing to swap, but you have no business expecting it. Doing so is a breach of the code and should get you removed from the friendly team player queue.

  5. #85
    This is a problem that plagued MOBA's before the term even existed, it will never get fixed for the same reason is "To not butthurt the clients".

    Its not any different in Overwatch, Blizzard cant come out and state:

    "Play what your team needs, not what you believe you are good at, which sorry to say our statistics say you are absolute shit compared to other players but hey, keep thinking you have an opinion about the matter".

    Its mostly a problem of balancing ,hero balance and fun, which isnt possible no matter how much you try because they dont take the balance statistics of the top players only, the balance happens over every player.

    If you buff one hero because he is shit at top rank play, suddenly all the -i am insanely bad- ranks will be getting destroyed by that hero.

    In other words, unless Blizzard ignores 99.9% of the playerbase and starts balancing based on only the top players and calls it "This is it, adapt to this and get better", nothing will change, but they will never do that cause, money money money.

    Or, disable solo ranking, only team ones and voila! But then again "I DONT HAVE FRIENDS TO PLAY, WHY CANT I PLAY RANK TOO?" or "ALL MY FRIENDS ARE WORST THAN ME, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PLAY AT MY LEVEL"?

    Balance can only be achieved if the company ignores the crybaby majority and balances around the top players while telling everyone else to stfu and get better, which will never happen, deal with it, even then new problems arise of fixed meta.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-12-04 at 01:23 AM.

  6. #86
    Haven't seen such a constructive thread like this even on official forums thus far. Nice comments and suggestions but i think this should also be stated in offical forums.
    Very cool signature text.

  7. #87
    While I'm not much into overwatch, I've been banned in other games like smash 4 via the automated report system. Never changed my non offensive name or mii, only pressed buttons in the video game I bought like intended, ended up banned multiple times simply based on win rate.
    You wanna ban for cheating, hacking, griefing, etc, oki doke, but automated report systems can EAT A DICK and I check every game for them now before I buy.
    Automated report system = No money from me. Legit only reason I haven't bought a switch, waiting to see if smash 4 remix hd switch wii port dx has it or not.
    Only played overwatch a bit, if I knew it had it, I wouldn't have spent wow garrison gold on it.

  8. #88
    Immortal Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Perhaps we should add a qualifier that obviously false reports would ALSO be against the code of conduct, and get you removed for making them.

    A lot of those issues would come down to a solid examination of what happened, and reports might get both the reporter AND the reported taken out, if they were both being prats. None of this queue stuff should be automated; it all needs to be looked at manually.

    If your favorite hero got picked before you had a chance, tough nuts. You can ask if the other guy'd be willing to swap, but you have no business expecting it. Doing so is a breach of the code and should get you removed from the friendly team player queue.
    I mean, you have to look at how Blizzard themselves wants to handle their problem. I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool - think it could definitely appeal to a very specific part of the competitive community, but wouldn't really be a solution. Jeff himself says his dream would be a group finder, like there is in World of Warcraft. What that says to me is that he wants to keep the solution very low maintenance, requiring zero to no attention.

    And to be honest, I think this is the reason why people have the impression the report system doesn't even work in the first place. So when you really look around at all the ways they have tried to keep their team size focused on creating content, it would make sense that they'd want to implement something low maintenance.

    Even with players who are accused of aimbotting, after having 250 reports made against them their screen goes black so they can't see anything. But it doesn't effect players who aren't cheating.

    Quote Originally Posted by Puxycat View Post
    Haven't seen such a constructive thread like this even on official forums thus far. Nice comments and suggestions but i think this should also be stated in offical forums.
    too bad i'm banned for making fun of tracer's shoes

    but no reason why someone else can't post something similar
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2017-12-04 at 05:07 AM.
    And while the cobras dance around your feet like you're a god
    It only takes one bite for you to realize you are not


  9. #89
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    17,769
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    This is a problem that plagued MOBA's before the term even existed, it will never get fixed for the same reason is "To not butthurt the clients".

    Its not any different in Overwatch, Blizzard cant come out and state:

    "Play what your team needs, not what you believe you are good at, which sorry to say our statistics say you are absolute shit compared to other players but hey, keep thinking you have an opinion about the matter".

    Its mostly a problem of balancing ,hero balance and fun, which isnt possible no matter how much you try because they dont take the balance statistics of the top players only, the balance happens over every player.

    If you buff one hero because he is shit at top rank play, suddenly all the -i am insanely bad- ranks will be getting destroyed by that hero.

    In other words, unless Blizzard ignores 99.9% of the playerbase and starts balancing based on only the top players and calls it "This is it, adapt to this and get better", nothing will change, but they will never do that cause, money money money.

    Or, disable solo ranking, only team ones and voila! But then again "I DONT HAVE FRIENDS TO PLAY, WHY CANT I PLAY RANK TOO?" or "ALL MY FRIENDS ARE WORST THAN ME, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PLAY AT MY LEVEL"?

    Balance can only be achieved if the company ignores the crybaby majority and balances around the top players while telling everyone else to stfu and get better, which will never happen, deal with it, even then new problems arise of fixed meta.
    That’s not what happens though, the best heroes in top ranks are not the best heroes stomping low ranks. That specific problem only comes up when people start sandbagging with those heroes. And frankly, it doesn’t matter what they do that with, I see it enough with 76s and McCrees to know it’s not just Tracer and Genji; who as good as they are in GM, when played by players at this level suck.

    Conversely, when they buffed Junkrat for high end, he was already good at low end and it made literally no difference to his stats. Widowmaker too, sees a bit more use and a bit more acceptability but she’s not stomping on everyone at low end.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2017-12-04 at 08:56 AM.

  10. #90
    Void Lord GennGreymane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wokeville mah dood
    Posts
    41,709
    Never use Stylosa as a point of argument.

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Perhaps we should add a qualifier that obviously false reports would ALSO be against the code of conduct, and get you removed for making them.

    A lot of those issues would come down to a solid examination of what happened, and reports might get both the reporter AND the reported taken out, if they were both being prats. None of this queue stuff should be automated; it all needs to be looked at manually.

    If your favorite hero got picked before you had a chance, tough nuts. You can ask if the other guy'd be willing to swap, but you have no business expecting it. Doing so is a breach of the code and should get you removed from the friendly team player queue.
    It would probably be far more simple and easier to add a "commend" kind of system.

    If a player was flexible, tried to work as a team, etc, you can commend them at the end. Take the basis of Dota 2 systems possibly, but have it actually affect the game perhaps.
    https://dota2.gamepedia.com/Commend

  12. #92

  13. #93
    Immortal Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,153
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Never use Stylosa as a point of argument.
    Well first of all, why not? Because he plays in masters? Because he's a competitive player like any of us? Because he said something that makes sense? Because you hate him and think he's stupid? Sounds like a personal problem to me.

    Second of all, the question asked had nothing to do with Stylosa except that he'd asked it. If you don't like him pretend you didn't read his name.

    So get triggered like a bunch of entitled LBGTQ SJWs lambasting a donut shop for working with the salvation army to help a needy family.
    And while the cobras dance around your feet like you're a god
    It only takes one bite for you to realize you are not


  14. #94
    Void Lord GennGreymane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wokeville mah dood
    Posts
    41,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    Well first of all, why not? Because he plays in masters? Because he's a competitive player like any of us? Because he said something that makes sense? Because you hate him and think he's stupid? Sounds like a personal problem to me.

    Second of all, the question asked had nothing to do with Stylosa except that he'd asked it. If you don't like him pretend you didn't read his name.

    So get triggered like a bunch of entitled LBGTQ SJWs lambasting a donut shop for working with the salvation army to help a needy family.
    The irony is strong.

  15. #95
    Immortal Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,153
    The only thing strong here is my contempt for shitposting. You'd have posted nothing at all if nothing was said about Stylosa.

    Just go somewhere.
    And while the cobras dance around your feet like you're a god
    It only takes one bite for you to realize you are not


  16. #96
    High Overlord baddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    111
    Banning players for the sole reason that they pick off-meta and not listen to what their team wants them to pick is not going to happen. Thankfully, the Overwatch devs understand that there are different kind of competetive players and different incentives to play it competetively; also they refrain from circle-jerking.

    One tricks for example, their competetive sense is to try to push as high as possible with their character of choice.
    To punish them for not aligning with people who rather play a meta competetively is ridiculous and shows just as much ignorance as you blame onetricks to have.

    edit:
    Latest comment on one-tricking from Jeff:
    Finally, on toxicity, we’ve seen some confusion on the question of one-tricking. Can you clarify this for us? Is one-tricking considered toxic or actionable behaviour?

    Things get very complicated, because the discussion usually focuses around individual players who have been actioned.

    And they might have been actioned for other things?

    Yes, and we’re not always at liberty to discuss exactly what they have been actioned for. All in all, the game lets you pick whoever you want. It’s not up to your teammates who you should play. I do think it’s respectful to people to be willing to gel with the team composition, but you can’t ban somebody - it’s not a bannable offence - for just playing one hero, as long as you’re trying your best to win with that hero.

    I think the game gets in a very dangerous state when we tell you who you’re allowed to play and not play with the game functioning like it does right now. The allure and the fantasy of Overwatch is there are these 26 heroes, and you can log in at any moment and be one of them. We should be trying to keep them all viable, and all decent picks within a team composition. I mean, sometimes you’re gonna be countered, but we can’t leave it at other players’ discretion to decide what you should be doing.
    Last edited by baddy; 2017-12-15 at 11:49 AM.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •