If Discord released an MMO....

The real value in the gaming community is audience. The key to success is drawing a massive gaming audience and then driving that audience towards your games by fully integrating your community software inside the games directly. 20 years ago, Blizzard benefited from a massive gaming community on battle.net. But then they decided the value of the company was the IPs, not bnet. So they let bnet rot. But gamers still require a community even if Blizzard doesn't see the value.

Today, Discord has emerged as the pinnacle of the modern gaming community, supplanting battle.net. They have a user base that is reportedly over 45 million. People want to embed Discord into WoW to make chat easier, but that's not allowed by Blizzard. So Discord sits there with a massive installed user base but hasn't fully capitalized on it yet. Discord has an enormous install base using their software regularly. Wouldn't Discord's next logical move be to start actually publishing video games and releasing them fully integrated into Discord itself, giving them the power to drive their install base directly to the games they publish? It would seem this would be a path to ginormous financial success they are leaving untapped.

If Discord released a AAA MMO, and could drive people to it, they could easily get 3 million of their base playing it, even if it was just OK, don't you think?
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Well adorable but you are wrong.

Discord became what it is because the trash communities of F2P games, the cheapskates of the gaming world abuse it and to be fair, not only them, but generally its free, so people abuse it.

In other words, if Discord through money into a MMO, it would become a worthless P2W one to be F2P, or if we wanted something like WoW, a B2P+ sub, something the "community" of discord would never buy in the majority cause "MAH MOONEY, HOW BUY SKINS IN LOL/CS/DOTA IF PLAY DISCORD GAAME?"

And its why the more "serious" gamers still use TS3 for stability.

And i doubt out of the "45mil people using it" the 99% probably hasnt paid once for anything.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-11-24 at 11:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    its almost like people use discord because its free and not because of its community
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

You DO realize that Discord business model is to lose money like crazy and build a huge community to be bought by a big IT company, right?

Just being a AAA title and having lots of eyes on it doesn't prevent disaster. (Star Wars Battlefront 2.)
    It would be very easy for Discord to flood itself with banners and notifications for their new game which would alienate a lot of people real quick.

Maybe if they can publish as well as Adult Swim they'd be fine. It's tricky, because I could easily see Discord being taken advantage of.
    I would hope they wouldn't just settle for publishing anything and adheres to a level of standard that people have come to expect from them.

While I would like to see them work their way up with small titles so that they can understand what they're getting into, I do like MMOs.
    But if they decide "an MMO is going to be our magnum opus" then I hope they can take the time (a good seven years) to actually do it right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The real value in the gaming community is audience. The key to success is drawing a massive gaming audience and then driving that audience towards your games by fully integrating your community software inside the games directly. 20 years ago, Blizzard benefited from a massive gaming community on battle.net. But then they decided the value of the company was the IPs, not bnet. So they let bnet rot. But gamers still require a community even if Blizzard doesn't see the value.

Today, Discord has emerged as the pinnacle of the modern gaming community, supplanting battle.net. They have a user base that is reportedly over 45 million. People want to embed Discord into WoW to make chat easier, but that's not allowed by Blizzard. So Discord sits there with a massive installed user base but hasn't fully capitalized on it yet. Discord has an enormous install base using their software regularly. Wouldn't Discord's next logical move be to start actually publishing video games and releasing them fully integrated into Discord itself, giving them the power to drive their install base directly to the games they publish? It would seem this would be a path to ginormous financial success they are leaving untapped.

If Discord released a AAA MMO, and could drive people to it, they could easily get 3 million of their base playing it, even if it was just OK, don't you think?
    I needed a laugh tonight. Thanks!
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

It's beacuse it's free.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    i care for discord as much as i do for teamspeak, both are free programs, and thats the only reason i use them, if anything id be really really really fucking weary of a "discord mmo" because of how many disconnects can happen in a day.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

If a mediocre voicechat service released an mmo...what? I don't even.

Vent > discord anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity91 View Post
    You DO realize that Discord business model is to lose money like crazy and build a huge community to be bought by a big IT company, right?
    Sadly that is pretty much the business model of almost all new tech start ups..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    At the current moment, no. More factors are needed.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..