Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Better question is why age? We are already working towards making people live longer, but why stop there? Why not live indefinitely? It can certainly be done, and will likely be done in our life time. While eating healthy and excessive can go a long way, but a lot more can be done. I already do this, but I go beyond that to taking special supplements and eating as much raw fruits and vegetables as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Left to my own devices, however, I'd have to say that I would otherwise be reaching a point where plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
    Can I go with Pearl Jam, "I change by not changing at all." Je change en ne changeant pas du tout, according to my terrible French.

That's a darker side, perhaps, but relevant.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

There is something to be said for eating healthy. Earlier this year I went on a green vegetable juice cleanse for a month. During and shortly after the process I felt the best that I have in years. I had no pain after waking up in the morning, blood pressure returned to normal levels, I dropped a great deal of weight I had what seemed to be unlimited energy and I slept the best I have in years.

Then we had baby number 4 and everything went to shit with my diet.

I am getting tired of living with pain everyday. This time I think I am going to get back on the health wagon and stay there.

I don't think I am going to live long enough to see us reach longetivity escape velocity on human lifespan, as I turned 40 this year, but I would like for my remaining time to be quality years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala
    That's a darker side, perhaps, but relevant.
    It works, but carries a tone of defiance more than ennui. I'm already supposed to be dead and while there is no sign of impending doom it might catch up to me on any given day with little to no warning. <at this point you'll need to insert the mental image of 2.1 beating me over the head with her teddy bear and reminding me that I've missed that deadline for the seven years she has known me>
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

of course i want to live life as long as possible but not at the cost of things i enjoy.

Deleted
    Yeah trying to be healthy but can be tough at times.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    There is something to be said for eating healthy. Earlier this year I went on a green vegetable juice cleanse for a month. During and shortly after the process I felt the best that I have in years. I had no pain after waking up in the morning, blood pressure returned to normal levels, I dropped a great deal of weight I had what seemed to be unlimited energy and I slept the best I have in years.

Then we had baby number 4 and everything went to shit with my diet.

I am getting tired of living with pain everyday. This time I think I am going to get back on the health wagon and stay there.

I don't think I am going to live long enough to see us reach longetivity escape velocity on human lifespan, as I turned 40 this year, but I would like for my remaining time to be quality years.
    That is the most important thing. Since we all are going to die eventually. One reason to moderately exercise and eat right, is so our last years we can be more active. But I said moderately, assuming it is something you feel you need to do, but do not enjoy. No need to go to the extreme when it is not something you enjoy doing and spend that extra time gained doing what you enjoy. Even if it is sitting down and watching TV or playing video games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheRacoon View Post
    Yeah trying to be healthy but can be tough at times.
    It can also be expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Intermittent fasting gives you all the benefits of calorie restriction without having to be starving all the time. And when you are eating you can eat what you want.
    Yeah it is definitely something that has some interesting effects. The latest I heard was because of the period of stress on your body, it will let damaged cells go more readily- possibly reducing cancer risk.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Yeah it is definitely something that has some interesting effects. The latest I heard was because of the period of stress on your body, it will let damaged cells go more readily- possibly reducing cancer risk.
    Let us not forget this part of the article which mentions exteme calorie reduction....

with the implication that the same might be true for humans.

In practice though, permanently reducing calorie intake by 25 to 50 percent or more sounds to many like a way to extend life by making it not worth living. Researchers have also warned that what works for nematodes or rats may not work—and could even prove dangerous—in humans, by causing muscle or bone density loss, for example.

That is a point many forget. Humans are not the same as rats and mice.

I would love to live for more than a 100 years to see all the future technologies. What do I do to achieve it? I don't smoke or drink alcohol. On the other hand I have been way too sedentary in the last year or so and I haven't been eating that healthy as well. Gotta get back on track, I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I'm mostly concerned with living happy and healthy for however long that is. When it's my time, it's my time, but I certainly don't want the last ten years of my life to be spent in failing health and pain.
    If you are concerned about you health, then why would you not eat any proteins? Can't be that concerned if you are willing to skip the important meat.
    Last edited by Lupinemancer; 2017-11-26 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Better question is why age? We are already working towards making people live longer, but why stop there? Why not live indefinitely? It can certainly be done, and will likely be done in our life time. While eating healthy and excessive can go a long way, but a lot more can be done. I already do this, but I go beyond that to taking special supplements and eating as much raw fruits and vegetables as I can.

Glad I am not the only one here who is interested in anti aging. I already saw those videos on Youtube too a few time ago. They are awesome.

I'm taking a look at those cryonics companies for that sweet 1% chance at cheating death.

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbywabby View Post
    This is just my opinion, but I would rather die younger but happy than go out my way to avoid the "bad" things in life just to get an extra few years.

That being said, I don't over-eat , I don't drink alcohol, my diet consits mostly of meat, pasta and potatoes, ill eat apples and thats about it for fruits. I tend to snack over the weekends which usually consists of a share bag of doritos and dr pepper zero and 2 energy drinks. Sticking with these habits keeps me happy and content, though I could lose a bit of weight by going to the gym more often instead of just lifting weights at home and if I had to, I could cut out the energy drinks.
    It's also about the quality of your last decades, like avoiding stuff like this. https://www.stomaatje.com/stomabags.html Processed and preserved meats is something you want to stay away from to avoid stomach cancer for example.

At least here middle aged and up more and more % of people every year are suffering from medical issues that on different levels ruins the quality of their lives.
    Last edited by Exeris; 2017-11-26 at 02:38 PM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I dunno man, watching all I've known and loved disappear and becoming increasingly isolated and shit seems pretty rough. I mean yeah you could live your life in a way that doesn't do that but I'm honest with myself about being a cunt and time won't make that better. I wouldn't want to live forever or even a really long time. I love my life but I don't want it to keep going on forever.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    It's also about the quality of your last decades, like avoiding stuff like this. https://www.stomaatje.com/stomabags.html Processed and preserved meats is something you want to stay away from to avoid stomach cancer for example.
    Meat is something the human body needs. There's a lot of things we don't produce that we find in meat. The problem with meat is how it's prepared. Processed and preserved meats are the worst cause the chemicals used to keep them fresh is cancer causing. Cooked meat is bad because when you brown meat is creates carcinogens which are cancerous.

If you boil or steam meat, it's perfectly fine. If you fry meat, make sure it has a lot of water to preventing burns. Mind you frying or burning vegetables will be just as unhealthy as meat, but we can usually eat vegetables without fear of getting sick, where as with meat that's not usually the case.
    At least here middle aged and up more and more % of people every year are suffering from medical issues that on different levels ruins the quality of their lives.
    Because we don't treat aging. We treat the disease which has its root cause from aging. Every cancer, every diabetes, and etc can be traced to aging. A 5 year old with cancer can still be blamed on aging, despite their age. We just don't think of it like that cause it's a 5 year old.

Deleted
    Those people are the best product when they die. I mean - what zombies and skeletons are one thing. But if you you able to resurrect some will wouldn't it be awesome to fish someone who desires to live? This could breed some awesome Nosferatu! All good for the dead. All against the living!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenji87 View Post
    If you are concerned about you health, then why would you not eat any proteins? Can't be that concerned if you are willing to skip the important meat.
    I do eat meat. I love steak, for example.

Nonsense. The few years extra I could squeeze out matter not.

Rather enjoy life to the fullest. Including all the unhealthy things.

I only care about quality of life, not longevity. Unfortunately, taking measures to improve the former usually extends the latter. I really do not want to live a long time. I've joked that if I make it to a certain age I'm going to start taking up extreme sports to increase my chances of dying by accident. :P
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson