5+ Year Old Account

Theme Songs for Lore Characters

So something struck me as I was listening to some Miracle of Sound... Specifically, how strongly some songs apply to different characters in the game, even though they're not connected in any meaningful way. In particular, I was listening to "Wake the White Wolf" and immediately thought of Genn Greymane.

I get that the song is written about the Witcher character from the games of the same name, but much of his central characterization overlaps vibrantly with Genn's. While Genn's "Lost and Aloof" loves of his past are Gilneas itself, and his Son, rather than romantic loves I find it still fits -very- well with his particular story. And the metal version just -works- for him.

But that got me thinking, what sort of music would you lovely people connect to the major lore characters of this expansion, from Jaina and Sylvanas to Genn and Anduin, even Saurfang or Wrathion?

Of late I'm thinking "I am the Fire" by Halestorm might be the best fit for Jaina.

It's a song about personal empowerment, about realizing that she's strong enough to do what she needs, herself. No longer does she need to rely on white knights or bad boys, she's not waiting for her Prince Charming, or someone else. She's ready to do it all on her own. Her Heart's been Cauterized by the Manabombing of Theramore, she's haunted by the Ghost of her Father, who she thought she could never be... It's all there.

Drop your own picks, and let's have some -music- in this subforum!

- - - Updated - - -

I'll throw another one in. The Lady of Worlds, again by Miracle of Sounds and again about the Witcher Series.

Ignore the "Gifts I Can't Control" line, and recontextualize the romantic subplot as hatred and it becomes amazing.

The Frozen Gauntlet she had to run being Icecrown/Northrend. The Heir to Another's Crimes, because as an undead creature she is hated and that was put on her by Arthas, but as a double entendre, she's taken his crime against her and done it to others. An Unwanted Crown as the Warchief, ostensibly, but if you go back a bit further the Unwanted Crown becomes rulership of the Forsaken, she didn't wanna die and become queen of the dead. There's also the Legacy Leashed in her Cries, as a Banshee her screams are powerful. Meanwhile, the distant roar of the White Wolf is Genn Greymane preparing to come kill her. The Strands of Ash go from romance and using white hair as a metaphor of love to burnt strands of the tapestry of life woven together, ever fated, upon a Misty Shore, which is the battle of the two on the Broken Isles...

Back and Forth on the Pendulum, her choices between being halfway decent or just giving into her darkness, swinging hard to the outside being that darkness. Genn singing of warming hands on the Embers of Time fits as well, since his past is destruction in the same way hers is, and that's where the hatred that burns in each of them is born...

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I love the synergy.
    When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like injustice.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    So something struck me as I was listening to some Miracle of Sound... Specifically, how strongly some songs apply to different characters in the game, even though they're not connected in any meaningful way. In particular, I was listening to "Wake the White Wolf" and immediately thought of Genn Greymane.

I get that the song is written about the Witcher character from the games of the same name, but much of his central characterization overlaps vibrantly with Genn's. While Genn's "Lost and Aloof" loves of his past are Gilneas itself, and his Son, rather than romantic loves I find it still fits -very- well with his particular story. And the metal version just -works- for him.

But that got me thinking, what sort of music would you lovely people connect to the major lore characters of this expansion, from Jaina and Sylvanas to Genn and Anduin, even Saurfang or Wrathion?

Of late I'm thinking "I am the Fire" by Halestorm might be the best fit for Jaina.

It's a song about personal empowerment, about realizing that she's strong enough to do what she needs, herself. No longer does she need to rely on white knights or bad boys, she's not waiting for her Prince Charming, or someone else. She's ready to do it all on her own. Her Heart's been Cauterized by the Manabombing of Theramore, she's haunted by the Ghost of her Father, who she thought she could never be... It's all there.

Drop your own picks, and let's have some -music- in this subforum!

- - - Updated - - -

I'll throw another one in. The Lady of Worlds, again by Miracle of Sounds and again about the Witcher Series.

Ignore the "Gifts I Can't Control" line, and recontextualize the romantic subplot as hatred and it becomes amazing.

The Frozen Gauntlet she had to run being Icecrown/Northrend. The Heir to Another's Crimes, because as an undead creature she is hated and that was put on her by Arthas, but as a double entendre, she's taken his crime against her and done it to others. An Unwanted Crown as the Warchief, ostensibly, but if you go back a bit further the Unwanted Crown becomes rulership of the Forsaken, she didn't wanna die and become queen of the dead. There's also the Legacy Leashed in her Cries, as a Banshee her screams are powerful. Meanwhile, the distant roar of the White Wolf is Genn Greymane preparing to come kill her. The Strands of Ash go from romance and using white hair as a metaphor of love to burnt strands of the tapestry of life woven together, ever fated, upon a Misty Shore, which is the battle of the two on the Broken Isles...

Back and Forth on the Pendulum, her choices between being halfway decent or just giving into her darkness, swinging hard to the outside being that darkness. Genn singing of warming hands on the Embers of Time fits as well, since his past is destruction in the same way hers is, and that's where the hatred that burns in each of them is born...

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I love the synergy.
    i gotta do it im sorry

Varian
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO_QntXc-c4
    Lord godfrey
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR-s4ReIxJo
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I don't think any of these songs really fit the theme of the characters, especially considering the setting of the Warcraft universe. These genres just seem... Wrong, to me! I love the actual theme Anduin had in Legion, I think it suits him perfectly.

Honestly, I think Blizzard's music people completely nail the tone and feel of the characters and cultures they represent!
    I'm afraid I may have made my point poorly.

It's not about "Melodic Songs lacking lyrics which strike the appropriate mood" but "Songs whose lyrics and presentation fit the characters in important ways"

There's just not much of a word or phrase for the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    ... I lold.
    When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like injustice.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    I'm afraid I may have made my point poorly.

It's not about "Melodic Songs lacking lyrics which strike the appropriate mood" but "Songs whose lyrics and presentation fit the characters in important ways"

There's just not much of a word or phrase for the latter.

... I lold.
    Oh and voljin, forgot this one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L78yVFeyvRo
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Nomi would have this:

Anduin would have this (feat sylvanas)

Deleted
    Death Knight theme song! Kind of fitting for Darion Mograine. Or maybe the scarlet crusade.

Sylvanas theme song?

Illidan + Tyrande <3

Last edited by mmoc3f25477407; 2017-11-26 at 09:34 PM.

Rexxar

Garrosh

Last edited by Hutmacher; 2017-11-26 at 09:53 PM.