Deleted

[DISC] Failing Burst Windows and Weak Auras

So i recently switched to Disc for Antorus and i have some major struggle with performance.

I understand that Disc is a pre-active healer that has to very carefully watch timers. The issue is that i fail to do so, especially on mythic encounters for the first few times and under stress.

I usually forget that something is coming up or i get tunnelvision and just dont notice that big AoE is due in 15 seconds, so i fail to apply atonement to everyone in the Raid.

I downloaded a weak aura for ToS burst windows, but that doesnt really work at all. the timer is often wrong and leads to me just doing 80% overheal.

I also sometimes struggle with mana since i use Shadowmeld a lot. If someone takes damage, i either have to shadowmeld them or do no healing at all since our hpally usually tops anyone literally instantly. If i just apply atonement i get nothing out of it since the player is topped of anyways.

Is there any trick to mastering Disc especially with a Hpally and Restoshaman that cover 100% of small damage and can instantly top the raid during heavy AoE damage?

Deleted
    not doing the bad things you mentioned

You're playing disc in heroic. That's never going to be fun. Just stick to 2 healers and roll shadow, it's not like the paladin+shaman needs your help if you don't have time to set up atonements before they top people anyway.

That being said, you just have to practice. On fights that takes 2-3 pulls max to kill (like heroics), you're never going to do well as disc untill you're deep into farm. It's when you get +20 pulls of a boss in mythic you start to figure out "ok this is where we struggle".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    You're playing disc in heroic. That's never going to be fun. Just stick to 2 healers and roll shadow, it's not like the paladin+shaman needs your help if you don't have time to set up atonements before they top people anyway.

That being said, you just have to practice. On fights that takes 2-3 pulls max to kill (like heroics), you're never going to do well as disc untill you're deep into farm. It's when you get +20 pulls of a boss in mythic you start to figure out "ok this is where we struggle".
    So basically dont play Disc in Heroics and reroll something else?

Sadly this is legion, rerolling is not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Katjezz View Post
    So basically dont play Disc in Heroics and reroll something else?

Sadly this is legion, rerolling is not an option.
    That's bullshit. Rerolling takes barely any time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    That's bullshit. Rerolling takes barely any time.
    You basically can't really compete without legendaries tho

Disc is perfectly viable in Heroics, and Normal if that is what your raid is doing. If you are raiding at a level that suits you and your group, then there is no reason why you cannot perform well as disc.

By far, the most beneficial thing that helped me with burst windows initially, is a weakaura package that included a sound notification 12 seconds before burst is about to come out. I've found it mostly reliable (except on Avatar it seems to always be off), and it has trained my mind into recognizing that OK if i hear that annoying fucking noise, that means something is coming and now i should ramp up.

Once you get used to it, you'll be sniping heals from the shaman/paladin before they can react.

Stay away from shadowmend in raiding. Take it off your bars. It's the holy paladin's job to holy shock near-death players and save them, not yours.

If you want some helpful advice, feel free to hit me up, seeing as the other 2 people that responded to you seem like unhelpful assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Katjezz View Post
    You basically can't really compete without legendaries tho
    That's just not true at all for healers. It might hold true for *some* dps classes in *mythic* content, but it's a fucking meme that people say that in heroic/normal, especially for healers who already don't gain much from higher "maximum" output, unless things go wrong (if the raid's taking 1M damage per second, it doesn't matter if the legendaries would let you do 1.4M instead of 1.1M - you're still doing just as well).

Add to this that Disc legendaries in general aren't very strong (the "accepted" BIS is Class ring + Velens; Class ring gives you twist of fate, a talent that will very rarely proc in trivial content like heroic, which means that it is borderline useless. Velens is used purely because you don't have to put atonements up on *every* raider when you use your burst when trinket is up, because you *will* overheal, and with the trinket, that overheal splashes onto people without atonement - however, if you're 3 healing stuff, you're likely ~15 people. This means that the trinket is barely useful for this, as you'll have 3-4 atonements out at all times, 2x radiance->burst. Everyone but 1-2 people has atonement).

TL;DR - if your excuse is "but muh legendaries" for not rerolling, when the class you already play has barely anything useful for what you're playing, is stupid. Roll a resto shaman. There's not one of their legendaries that isn't as useful as the disc ones, apart from the belt. Or roll a MW monk, whose legendaries are as weak as disc (their BIS is prydaz+velens due to stats, with boots sprinkled in for some specific cases).

Oh, come off it. I raid heroic and I do great, in progression and farm.

OP, I use weakauras to give me an audio cue when a big damage event is incoming (Mend's ramp-up weakauras), but keep in mind these are not one-size-fits-all. Mend designs his for mythic, meaning a 20-man group, so he sets the cue far ahead of the damage so he can set up 20 atonements. I raid with between 10-14, so I manually change the timer so it blares maybe 6 seconds ahead, since I just need to cast radiance twice. I also remove or add certain auras that I find more or less useful. It's like buying a phone and then saying the phone doesn't work the way you want it to: that's because you need to personalize it.

If your having trouble getting healing in because your other healers are getting it all, the problem is you're overhealing the content - you have too many healers. Either go dps or have one of them go dps.

Deleted
    DBM and BigWigs have reliably timers. You got normal bars somewhere on your screen, smaller ones. Then there is bigger timers, when there is <10sec on the timer (I think the time can be changed in config). Set up the bigger ones into middle of your screen or close to your raid frames, so you can't miss them. Config boss timer so you don't see the ones you don't need so it's easier to spot the important ones. For starters you can get used to burst heal with 2 Radiances, 10 Atonements for hardly any ramp up should be good for starters. Later you can add some more Pleas infront of Radiances.

Edit: Always before the pull, think about the dmg pattern and timings when to burst.
    Last edited by mmoc2d11dd7182; 2017-11-28 at 06:49 AM.

Deleted
    I just re rolled 2 weeks ago to disc. A good disc is the epitome of a good raider. It's not the class that is hard but the DISCIPLINE (heh) that it requires. You know your weakness which is already a great start.

You don't need to be spoonfed weakauras that scream about big abilities incoming. You're a disc. What you need is training and practice and to pay attention to your future marriage with DBM Mods. You absolutely CAN snipe your fellow healers but they clearly know incoming damage better than you - which you admitted is your issue in terms of tunnel and lack of prep. Fortunately, you've identified that and come here so you're already halfway improved

I ran ToS HC 5 or 6 times last week just to practice timers and prep. Each full run I focused on a different thing:

1. knowing the mechanics and always paying attention to timers (I say the ones relevant to me aloud)
    2. knowing the mechanics and looking at timers
    3. looking at timers
    4. using all my abilities several times in each fight where permitted (6min fight better have 5 evans!)
    5. using my abilities until I go oom
    6. using my abilities so I don't go so oom
    7. realising that to be a good disc means I gotta, for progress, hang back and burst heal when needed and not just because my fellow padding healers irritate me. :P

What can help is having a set rotation in your head. You can work out yourself how many GCDs to get out X atonements with and without evangelism to back it up. Look at timer - see that there is 10 seconds to aoe. Prepare... so forth.

If you PM me a link I can help go through logs for you.

What weak aura is it?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kylista6 View Post
    Disc is perfectly viable in Heroics, and Normal if that is what your raid is doing. If you are raiding at a level that suits you and your group, then there is no reason why you cannot perform well as disc.

By far, the most beneficial thing that helped me with burst windows initially, is a weakaura package that included a sound notification 12 seconds before burst is about to come out. I've found it mostly reliable (except on Avatar it seems to always be off), and it has trained my mind into recognizing that OK if i hear that annoying fucking noise, that means something is coming and now i should ramp up.

Once you get used to it, you'll be sniping heals from the shaman/paladin before they can react.

Stay away from shadowmend in raiding. Take it off your bars. It's the holy paladin's job to holy shock near-death players and save them, not yours.

If you want some helpful advice, feel free to hit me up, seeing as the other 2 people that responded to you seem like unhelpful assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dollywood View Post
    What weak aura is it?!
    ToS T20 - Mend Ramp-up. https://wago.io/Bk3QhDaXW

Obviously very out dated now; I made my own ^_^