Poll: Best weapon/method?

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    /shrug

The extreme majority of attackers just want your phone and wallet. If you want to fight for them, carry a firearm. I'd rather not risk escalate an already dangerous situation and simply handover anything of value. If you are fearing that someone wants to actually do you harm, take that to the authorities.

If I were to really decide on one, self defense classes. It at least has the practicality of keeping you in shape.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Celista

My gun and favorite

Glock 19 It's not impressive but it works well and is accurate

Light weight easy to conceal the most accurate I have ever used, and great grip and feel.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    If someone is willing to steal from you in public doubting that they would be willing to kill you or hurt you is a mistake.
    There's theft and there's killing. I'm not saying there aren't people willing to commit senseless homicide, but that alone is another level above wanting a few thousand dollars (at most).
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    @Celista

My gun and favorite

Glock 19 It's not impressive but it works well and is accurate

Light weight easy to conceal the most accurate I have ever used, and great grip and feel.

Looks like it comes with 4 different grips. Amazing... Or are those spares?

Guns work best both as defense and as a deterrent but I personally have no desire to own a gun so I'd probably say something more along the lines of bear spray.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    The real answer is you need to go to the shop, and see how a number of them feel in your hand, and shoot them. Ergonomics is essential in a high stress situation. You need to have a weapon you're not afraid of. Gun nerds will bore you with a bunch of stats on size of ammuniton, actions, sights, etc. Brass tacks is they're all deadly, fairly easy to use, and at the ranges you're dealing with in a self-defense scenario, plenty accurate. Get one you don't mind carrying, can operate easily, and feels good in your hand.

Taking classes and spending a good amount of time at the range familiarizing yourself with the weapon is a damn good idea. Also consider getting a small biometric safe to store it on your nightstand, especially if you have little ones at home. Good luck and have fun!
    If this isn't the answer you give the OP, then your answer is wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    i advise you to be your draenei self. that's enough to keep anyone away.

or get a male dog of literally any breed they are more aggressive.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGOAT View Post
    Looks like it comes with 4 different grips. Amazing... Or are those spares?
    Or Extensions

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Yes and no. A knife is easier to hurt someone flailing around wildly up close. If you're absolutely terrible at everything, and plan on being nose to nose with someone, you might be better with a knife. That is a terrible way to do things though. You can, of course, do damage quicker and more easily with a gun if you put in the time to really know what you're doing and be able to do it under pressure.
    This. /10char

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    You should always have an emergency backup knife. -Dad

I also know a lot more about how to use a knife than a gun. and I have pretty awesome cardio, never a bad backup plan.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    I'm never touching a gun for self-defense.

Been carrying pepper spray in my purse, though.
    i prefer shotguns or automatics. too bad the latter isn't legal in my state.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i advise you to be your draenei self. that's enough to keep anyone away.

or get a male dog of literally any breed they are more aggressive.
    I'm not sure that's necessarily true, whether towards humans or other animals. Aren't female dogs typically used in dogfighting?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    wonder if i should try that sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I would say this is true, I think showing fear brings a sense to a situation, but so does bluffing and acting like a tough guy. Because in the head of the moment people are using their cues to read a situation they aren't even conscious of but people can a lot of times tell pretty easy when something isn't right. Stress in and of itself will get you killed.

The inability to see the moment rather than thinking around it.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a damn good course.
    it was. my biggest complaint was that it was rushed. a 2 day overview of week's worth of learning. was exhausted by the end of it, but it still stuck. the thing about being attacked out in a world is that vast majority of the time, potential assailant wants an easy victim, not someone who is aware of their surroundings, notices them before they even get to you and as such is likely to fight back. one of the things that immediately comes to mind was instructor telling us to do something as simple as checking front and back of the car through the windows, before unlocking it and getting in. such a small simple thing. and yet.. can help you be safer.

P.S. I ended up going with glock 19 as well, its a very comfortable little gun :P (it was not the gun I took to the class, but the one I had ended up.. not being awesome, one of the instructors lent me their spare and the rest is history)
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2017-11-28 at 04:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I'm not sure that's necessarily true, whether towards humans or other animals. Aren't female dogs typically used in dogfighting?
    from what i've seen male dogs are the ones who seem to be more territorial.

Sad to see that guns are actually a reasonable choice for self-defense.
    If you do get one, 10ththemountainman did write up some good stuff on it.

In some parts of the world it is neccesary evil.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2017-11-28 at 04:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    it was. my biggest complaint was that it was rushed. a 2 day overview of week's worth of learning. was exhausted by the end of it, but it still stuck. the thing about being attacked out in a world is that vast majority of the time, potential assailant wants an easy victim, not someone who is aware of their surroundings, notices them before they even get to you and as such is likely to fight back. one of the things that immediately comes to mind was instructor telling us to do something as simple as checking front and back of the car through the windows, before unlocking it and getting in. such a small simple thing. and yet.. can help you be safer.
    Yeah that shouldn't be the end of training you basically pick up from there, as I said stay in practice, practice practice, there are nut jobs but there are real parts of the culture that are great for learning and getting comfortable.

A gun is just a tool, you think of it like that and you get used to it, as I said don't just put it in the case and that's it, if you got a friend or get a membership and go, at least on days off.

Sword, only babies use guns!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Sword, only babies use guns!
    halberds is what real men use.