Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm going with this is just a scare tactic lawsuit.

Still, it's a freaking video game...

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    right? so the kid should of just let the video be taken down cause just a game
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    And?

Epic issues a DMCA and the boy challenged it. Doesn't matter if its a video game, If a multi-billion dollar company tells you to remove your video that is promoting cheating in there game you do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    I'm going with this is just a scare tactic lawsuit.
    Likely not since if it was Epic would be opening the flood gates on allowing cheaters to do whatever they wish.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    And?

Epic issues a DMCA and the boy challenged it. Doesn't matter if its a video game, If a multi-billion dollar company tells you to remove your video that is promoting cheating in there game you do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Likely not since if it was Epic would be opening the flood gates on allowing cheaters to do whatever they wish.
    Or perhaps they should of banned him and patched their game so one couldn't cheat at it. This is just a scare tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    Or perhaps they should of banned him and patched their game so one couldn't cheat at it. This is just a scare tactic.
    Did you not read the story?

They are not sueing him because he cheated, They are suing because he promoted it and challenged the DMCA they sent out. Any other company would do the same thing as well. Epic isn't going to spent a shit ton of money sending someone to court just so it can be a scare tactic.

Right in the link shows the case number and everything. This isn't a scare tactic.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I for one hope they bring the full weight of their legal dept. down on this kid and his family and squash them like bugs to set an example / precedent for others cheaters to be dealt with harshly. You wanna cheat in a single player game then go right ahead, but people who cheat in multiplayer games are pathetic and should be swatted like insects by the law. I would frankly be up for jail time for people who cheat in MP Games.

They could always argue that it was "Afluenza" that caused them to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Did you not read the story?

They are not sueing him because he cheated, They are suing because he promoted it and challenged the DMCA they sent out. Any other company would do the same thing as well. Epic isn't going to spent a shit ton of money sending someone to court just so it can be a scare tactic.

Right in the link shows the case number and everything. This isn't a scare tactic.
    I don't do Playstation Gaming so you'll have to forgive my ignorance on the subject. If there's no way to patch the game to invalidate the cheating, then I agree. Sue the little jerk. But only if his actions are causing legitimate losses to the company in question. It'll invalidate other claims later if it's intended to be a example making legal action.

So they sue a kid for downloading and using cheats.

They also publicly release his (a childs') personal info (which btw is illegal)

Even tho the charges were dropped. This is incredibly stupid of them to do. Why not sue the actual people who made the cheats instead of the kids who use them

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by c313 View Post
    So they sue a kid for downloading and using cheats.

They also publicly release his (a childs') personal info (which btw is illegal)

Even tho the charges were dropped. This is incredibly stupid of them to do. Why not sue the actual people who made the cheats instead of the kids who use them
    Are you this dense? did you read the situation AT ALL? it was a DMCA claim filled by Epic at the kiddo, the imbecile counterclaimed it and now Epic has to go through the judicial system, the fucking kiddo and his mom basically put their own head on the gillotine and pulled the lever.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Does it even matter if he was advertising the aim bot? I don’t think there are any laws against modifying software which is already owned, therefore regardless if he streamed it or not, shouldn’t really be a crime, the kid should had been simply banned from the game and from whatever service he was using to stream the bloody thing…

I won’t be surprised if his mother wins the case and then sue them instead.
    Most probably the kiddo and mommy dont have enough dosh to throw at the now financial quicksand they've thrown themselves in, if this happens then it's going to be Blizzard vs. Bossland 2.0 with default judgment.
    Last edited by barackopala; 2017-11-29 at 03:42 AM.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Does it even matter if he was advertising the aim bot? I don’t think there are any laws against modifying software which is already owned, therefore regardless if he streamed it or not, shouldn’t really be a crime, the kid should had been simply banned from the game and from whatever service he was using to stream the bloody thing…

I won’t be surprised if his mother wins the case and then sue them instead.
    The thing is that EULAs are a contract. If you break it, you CAN be sued. You just usually aren't because it's not worth the legal and financial headaches. But a) breaking the EULA, b) advertising it, and c) IGNORING A DCMA is 100% grounds for legal recourse.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

He forced them to sue... He should of talked to a lawyer first or googled anything before doing this.

Gaming company is in the wrong for not fixing their shitty game. Kid is foolish for forcing this into a court case. Mother is ignorant of the entire affair and is just trying to protect her son.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Suing a minor is like not even a thing around here.. lol especially in a videogame.
    Big fucking parenting fail on the mother's part though. My kids would not be allowed to stream themselves. Especially not cheating in a lame ass mulitplayer game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    The thing is that EULAs are a contract. If you break it, you CAN be sued. You just usually aren't because it's not worth the legal and financial headaches. But a) breaking the EULA, b) advertising it, and c) IGNORING A DCMA is 100% grounds for legal recourse.
    Most EULAs aren't even legally in the clear to be acceptable as a contract. Usually companies just ban you from their service because that is about the amount of legal leverage they have. Though this might be one of the rare caseses where there could be some vague argument about damages to get further with this.

Merged the two threads together so we can keep the discussion all in one thread so apologies if the order seems a little rough at first.

That shit has no merit. Everyone can stream the games one legally bought, with cheats or not. A company cannot single out a user and claim they are violating their copyright.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Read about it the other day.

It's not a gaming lawsuit.

He promoted cheat software on youtube and got a copyright strike. He then challenged that copyright strike. Law demands that the company now either completely drops it, or they go to court over it.

Dude is a prick who couldn't think of the consequences that come along with challenging a copyright strike on a video that he doesn't fucking own. Add to that that he's a god damn cheater and the company has no obligation to be lenient. Not even in the slightest. With 14 he's old enough to bear the consequences of his actions.

I hope his mother won't get fucked over by this. Some things are outside of your parental control. Obviously she's trying to do some damage control now.
    Agree with this. Actions have consequences and the boy is going to learn it the hard way.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Corporation is always in the wrong no matter how twisted the laws are.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Epic Games should sue the mother for bad parenting instead. Defending the cheating son that illegally uses credit cards...