Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Question Is a 32 inch monitor with 1440p good to play WoW?

Or do you think this is just too big? Should there be any concerns of playing with a 32 inch in WoW or in general?

4K won‘t work with my GTX1060 the way I want the game to be I think. I want beautiful scenes, high fps and stunning colors.

So would you recommend me a 32” Monitor then?

10+ Year Old Account
    So many variables it’s hard to give a good answer

I wouldn't want to play on anything bigger than 27" personally. Even at 27", your eyes have to move so much to get from one side to the other unless you have it a longs ways from your face. But what would be the point of that when you can just have a smaller monitor closer? Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    I wouldn't want to play on anything bigger than 27" personally. Even at 27", your eyes have to move so much to get from one side to the other unless you have it a longs ways from your face. But what would be the point of that when you can just have a smaller monitor closer? Just my opinion.
    This is nonsense. You want as big a display as you can because you can keep moving more noncritical UI elements out to the edges while keeping more of the actual playfield uninterrupted. Yes, there's a practical limit on how much of that you can usefully scan, but there's no end to the useful things you can do with more border space.

If you're like 2 meters away, then yes. Otherwise, get 24" max.

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    This is nonsense. You want as big a display as you can because you can keep moving more noncritical UI elements out to the edges while keeping more of the actual playfield uninterrupted. Yes, there's a practical limit on how much of that you can usefully scan, but there's no end to the useful things you can do with more border space.
    LOL kid, it's my opinion and my preference and you're going to tell me it's nonsense? And no, you're quite wrong, I don't want as big a display I can. I know what I want and you're not going to convince me that I am wrong about my preference. I have the ability to use a 70" 4k screen in my office but I have zero desire to do so. Are you unfamiliar with the concept that different people like different things? If you want to have a huge screen and then just look at the very middle part, go right ahead, but that's not what I want to do. I won't even tell you that you're wrong for having a different preference than me because I'm not a child who gets triggered when someone else has different opinions than I do.

Whether I'm coding or gaming, 27" is as big as I want to go. I've done bigger and I've liked it less.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play on a 34" ultrawide 21:9 aspect ratio for WoW. Like others had mentioned FPS can and will be a problem. However i think BFA should fix all that.

Personally I FUCKING LOVE IT. Especially love moving anything thats not critical button wise to the corners out of my FOV.
    If i was riding a donkey down the road. And someone threw a rock and knocked me off. Would i be stoned off my ass?

Quote Originally Posted by nanoneo View Post
    Or do you think this is just too big? Should there be any concerns of playing with a 32 inch in WoW or in general?

4K won‘t work with my GTX1060 the way I want the game to be I think. I want beautiful scenes, high fps and stunning colors.

With a 1060 I would not unless you plan to upgrade to a better card soon. 1440 adds a TON of extra pixels that need to be rendered and a 1060 could have a harder time.

A while ago I bought a 32" 1080P tv and hooked it up to my computer solely as a monitor.

I've found that it is good when playing games. As others have said it does mean sometimes I have to look from one side to the other.

It's also a bit too big for doing work on (Excel & Word etc.), but then I view that computer as an entertainment device, not a work computer.

I've been using a 32' TV at 1080p at a distance of around 1m as a monitor since 2009 and it's fine. Got used to this now anything smaller than 32' feels really small.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too many variables, but that size alone is enough for me to scream "nope".

Assuming you're within two feet of the display it's going to be incredibly grainy.

27" is the sweet spot for 1440p if you're using it as a monitor due to your proximity from the display, but that's only one aspect.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Been using 24"x3 (1080) in surround for years now, and couldn't imagine going back to a single monitor. The amount of screen space you get is absolutely amazing, not to mention that you actually see things which would otherwise be off the screen if you only had 1. Surround still has some technical limitations unfortunately, but wouldn't stop me from highly recommending it over a single 32-34" monitor. Also FWIW I run on a 1060 at high settings and get good FPS.

I play on an 24" 1080p 144hz monitor. I love it. that being said, it's not a good monitor until it's 80" 6k 244hz.

Trolling aside, it's preference. In wow it's fun to have larger screens, in FPS it's feels better to have a smaller one because you can see more clearly than missing something in your peripherals. I personally prefer refresh rate over resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by nanoneo View Post

Yeah it's fine as long as your graphics card can power it fine and doesn't break down in heavy visual aspects of say the raid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shifu View Post
    However i think BFA should fix all that.
    Why is BFA going to fix things? Are they finally going to rebuild the entire visual engine and allow multithreading and wow to take advantage of SLI, etc etc?

I play WoW, as well as other games (Destiny, PUBG, BF1, etc), on the HP Pavillion 32Q with 100+ frames on a GTX1060 6GB. I wouldn't put much weight on these people saying play on a smaller monitor. I feel like they either don't know what they're talking about or they play FPS games that benefit from different features. Your context is WoW, so let's stay there...

A 32" monitor is fine for WoW. I play it on one every single night. More room for addons.

It'll be fine, but 32" is a bit large for 1440p in windows, so everything will be much larger than normal. If you don't mind that, go for it. Otherwise, the standard 1440p monitor size is 27" and that's what I would recommend.

And yeah, the GTX1060 is fine for 1440p. I used to play WoW at 1440p on a GTX770 at 60fps and the GTX1060 is much faster than that. WoW isn't a particularly difficult game to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    It can't be nonsense when it's his personal opinion/preference.

I use a 34” ultrawide, WoW runs beautifully on it. Unless theres something wonky w the specs on the 32”, I’d say do it.

I play on a 24, i wouldn't want to play on anything bigger.

My calculations suggest me, that such big monitor should be viewed from 24" or 60 centimeters distance in order to fit into your field of view. Do you really need such big monitor? That's, why advantages of such big monitors - are just a pure marketing. They're good for work (fit more things), but terrible for playing games. That's why I still have old 19" 4:3 monitor for playing games - because it perfectly fits into my field of view while viewing it from optimal distance.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.