Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like how you list stats you want absolutely as high as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    I can't believe so many people fell for this obvious troll
    I'm glad you think it was obvious? Want an award or were you just looking to hit 440 tonight?
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

7+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla stats were easy to understand. Instead of ratings you had flat % (with exception of weapon skill and defense).

Oh this armor gives 2% hit and 1% crit? Nice.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladar View Post
    Back in the day you had just for tanks the following stats: strength, stamina, defense, parry, dodge, weapon skill, block %, block value, resistance, etc. You had to balance the stats yourself and understand your items. You couldnt just go with the item with the highest level like in retail now.

Item and stats management is too complicated for todays retailers. Should they just simplify the stats for vanilla to be more accessible for retailers?
    WTF... What the hell is a retailer? If it is a person who plays current WoW, then you are making a broad term over ALOT of different people both in ages, skills and level of engagement O.o
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

They'll eventually get use to the platform.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    the only stats that mattered were defense and stamina.

Parry and dodge were RNG gimmicks designed to trap you (notice how they aren't even stats anymore lololol) into stating them over things that would actually increase mitigation (like armor, stamina, ect.)

Everything else you listen was either a gimmick (resistances) came with the class (only really had 3 tanks in Vanilla boi, and one of them wore leather. Of course block is going to be on gear.) and weaponskill, which... Forgive me if I'm wrong... That came with just hitting stuff? I'm more of a TBC lord than a vanilla try hard myself, but I still very much remember weaponskill just being a static bar that increases when you melee something just like in TBC.

Mitigation was an important part of classic tanking. You really had to remove crushing blows from the attack table before you could do any raid tanking. There’s a detailed write up on the Nostralius forum a about how complex managing your bear as a ta I could be.

5+ Year Old Account
    I personally miss these types of stats in the game. Maybe they were just gimmicks or whatever but it made the gear feel interesting. Stats now if anything seem even more pointless, retail is just way too watered down. Vanilla hype!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Also, is "retailers" now the official term for people playing live servers?
    This is exactly what came to my mind... It's degrading and insulting. Wonder why these threads can live for so long.

the only stats that mattered were defense and stamina.

Parry and dodge were RNG gimmicks designed to trap you (notice how they aren't even stats anymore lololol) into stating them over things that would actually increase mitigation (like armor, stamina, ect.)

Everything else you listen was either a gimmick (resistances) came with the class (only really had 3 tanks in Vanilla boi, and one of them wore leather. Of course block is going to be on gear.) and weaponskill, which... Forgive me if I'm wrong... That came with just hitting stuff? I'm more of a TBC lord than a vanilla try hard myself, but I still very much remember weaponskill just being a static bar that increases when you melee something just like in TBC.
    Eh there were different things that mattered, but honestly the trick with Vanilla was getting them or them even existing to begin with. I always remembered Vanilla as choosing the lesser of two evils, or finding something with the least amount of wasted stats ( they loved to put spirit on everything ). The stats themselves weren't that hard to figure out though, maybe the closest might be spirit vs mp5 for some healing classes, and I'm not even sure that was a thing, because for Paladins spirit was basically worthless because you never stopped casting.

Back in the day you had just for tanks the following stats: strength, stamina, defense, parry, dodge, weapon skill, block %, block value, resistance, etc. You had to balance the stats yourself and understand your items. You couldnt just go with the item with the highest level like in retail now.

Item and stats management is too complicated for todays retailers. Should they just simplify the stats for vanilla to be more accessible for retailers?
    Retailers don't need to know stats. They just need to sell the stuff. Although, come to think of it, what was the last time anyone actually saw World of Warcraft on a shelf in some shop - you know, retail?

Sounds like vanilla ice cream is too complicated to sell at walmart, not enough profits involved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually it was stamina, defense and armour. Maybe AP. But all tanks did were getting a lot of stamina and defense until capped, then it was just stamina and armour passively from items
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

No, that stats were not more complicated than they are today.

This forum is just overflowing with posts from players that clearly never played the game back then. It's getting silly.

I'm glad you think it was obvious? Want an award or were you just looking to hit 440 tonight?
    Your gladness is the only reward I require. I am glad that you are glad. Let our gladness act as a shining beacon for the world.

Is that where we are now? Elitism? "Oh, this is too complex for you, only us Vanilla warriors understand gear."

Bitch, please. (not calling anyone a bitch, just demonstrating snotty attitude)

Itemization wasn't hard to understand in Vanilla. If anything it was easier. The complex part was getting the right gear for each fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Hold on..
    AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Vanilla stats were never difficult. Poorly itemised so a bit more effort, sure. But never difficult. You could tell with relative ease if something was better for you.

Also, is "retailers" now the official term for people playing live servers? What do we call those that currently play on private servers, "thieves"?
    We should call them thieves, is just as dumb as retailer XD

It will be different for sure.. and it has nothing to do with retail vs private servers... its more of... were you there during Vanilla or have some experience on a true Vanilla private server. It's not that these stats are hard or anything, but you already had experience with them. The same way a Vanilla player would be confused by the way stats and gearing works in retail currently. They just haven't seen it.. but once they jump in, there are plenty of resources to help guide new players in either experience. We had EJ back in the day and forums.. So nothing much has changed there, as I foresee, tons of blog posts on WoWhead and MMO Champ that will easily explain everything to new players will surly exist.

I think you are overly exaggerating the complexity of Vanilla stats.

Yeah, grasping caps or "more is better" is really hard.

They are probably more complicated now due to how classes can scale with certain stats in new tiers with different Leggy's, and also with traits it's hard to gauge which relic is more valuable.
    However, now you just plot your character into one of the many internet resources and all the work is done for you, this is the real difference. In Classic things like Normalization of instant abilities made higher DPS weapons a better choice, but still it wasn't that straight forward. Knowing just how valuable your Hit chance beyond the soft cap for a DW class wasn't always easy to figure out, calculating which rank to set you're healing spells too based on your mana regen wasn't something average MC raider would be thinking too indepth about. It's not just about needing to know, if you love the game you probably want to know all this stuff.