Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thoughts on bodybuilders

Whats everyones opinion on body builders?

And not to be sexist, female bodybuilders too.

I've always had mixed feelings about it. Its competitive obviously, I can remember getting a vhs on the mr universe tryouts back then arnold was one of the main champs of it, and showing some of the grueling methods they went though to compete with one another.

On the one hard I admire someone pushing themselves to get as ripped as they can do, cause big guys like that can be pretty nice to look at. But unlike other sports where the injury comes from a physical accident like in football or racing or basketball, with this, the damage is down to how far they push themselves before it fucks them up.

Obviously things like roids and other chemicals play a part in it, and some go so overboard, it goes beyond anything that be considered natural.

To me its one of these great examples of moderation, I admire someone who puts the effort in and makes themselves out to end up having an most super heroes physique, but when they start to get so far beyond reasonable, I dunno what ticks in their heads to keep going, despite horror stories of skin exploding or heart attacks because it couldn't take the strain, or alters their personality to something pretty nasty.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2018-07-12 at 12:50 AM.
    #boycottchina

If it's so dangerous how come the golden age bodybuilders are still alive and kicking into their 70s?

It isn't practical that is for sure, those muscles are only for show and are not effective in real life situations.

Isn't bodybuilding essentially like overclocking a computer? Do it right no problems, push it to far and boom you blow out your system.

Their body, their choice I suppose. Can't say I admire it as I don't really see the point in it beyond self gratification. Sure, kudos for having the will to achieve that, now what are you going to do with it? Also don't think it's attractive at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    just because the voices in your head tell you things, doesn't mean the world gives a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    Isn't it great how this thread has dematerialized from the unfair corruption of Ner'zuhl, to whether Kil'Jaeden is a draenei or an Eredar, then to Alien Genetics and now to demon sex...

They're usually pushing it too far, it's not even aesthetically pleasing.
    I appreciate a ripped physique, but these just look deformed.

4Got to admire the sheer will and determination of the professional bodybuilders of course just like every sport you have your dopers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dagron View Post
    If it's so dangerous how come the golden age bodybuilders are still alive and kicking into their 70s?
    Because this

Isn't the same as this

Synthol is stupid but it doesn't kill people.

Guys are much bigger now due to insulin and GH. That's it.

Arnold Schwarzenegger’s physique was nearly 100% aesthetic. Wide shoulders, small waist, and strong quads.

Going to extremes is disgusting but I won’t stop anyone from doing it.

They're gross looking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont really think about them much. I dont find them anything (not gay). Its probably a fine hobby, just not really for me.
    I would much rather do outdoors activities (kajaking/ skiing/ biking/ sailing) than spend my time in a gym.

But I know bodybuilders in general are one standard deviation above the average IQ.
    Apparently eating well and working out often is also good for your noggin.

Prob not a big effect Its probably more that the people who participate; work out regularly; take care of themselves ; they are then very likely to be smarter than the people who stuff up on chips and cola until they burst.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    It isn't practical that is for sure, those muscles are only for show and are not effective in real life situations.
    That's an interesting discussion too on the difference between body builders and strongman computations, as one is purely about pushing your body to bulk up, but the other is about putting it through endurance to take more strain, like these guys who pull lorries by rope
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    Dont really think about them much. I dont find them anything (not gay). Its probably a fine hobby, just not really for me.
    I would much rather do outdoors activities (kajaking/ skiing/ biking/ sailing) than spend my time in a gym.

But I know bodybuilders in general are one standard deviation above the average IQ.
    Apparently eating well and working out often is also good for your noggin.

Prob not a big effect Its probably more that the people who participate work out regularly; take care of themselves ; they are then very likely to be smarter than the people who stuff up on chips and cola until they burst.
    To be an effective bodybuilder you need an indepth understanding of physiology, endocrinology, and nutrition. And those are basically just your hobbies because to get to the level of actually making money as a bodybuilder takes years and years, in the mean time you would need to sustain yourself with an actual six figure job with an entirely unrelated skillset to have enough cashflow to afford to bodybuild. Most guys that actually manage to go pro are either fortunate enough to come from wealth or have businesses, work in white collar jobs, etc.

The game changed a while back because a lot of guys don't even strive to go pro but rather monetize themselves through social media and just have fun living life so the drug requirements aren't as severe, guys mostly live or die by personality.
    Last edited by dagron; 2018-07-12 at 07:53 PM.

As a rugbyman, I have met my share amount of bodybuilders in the gym and even though I do admire their dedication (both the nutrition and training part), they are lacking a lot of athletism. I mean, lifting huge weights and looking formidable is great, but in my opinion being athletic is far more important than just being a monster on a bench. Every single one I came across couldn't even properly run...but most of them were fat being kids and therefore were being mocked. I guess getting huge and muscular helped them gaining confidence in themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get the appeal, but to each their own. I've never seen it in person to be honest. There's a few buff guys at my gym, but nothing like those pictures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of respect and admiration for what they do. It takes serious work and discipline to look like that and they're still stronger than 99% of people no matter how much people harp on about "muh practicality". Strongmen, who I also admire, aren't really "practical" either when you'll never experience the lifts in a real life scenario like they do in training and competition its just a fun sport to push yourself in.

To be fair, no sport, hobby, or job has much real-world application. Working for hours a day doesn't have much application outside of it. Most people just do it for money. Bodybuilding is a mix between turning one's body into a work of art, a hobby, and a job, depending on whether it produces income.

There's a long-standing moral critique that bodybuilding is a vain pursuit, but that differs by individual. It doesn't *need* to be about vanity. It's a hobby like any other.

As far as the dangers of it, sure, most physical sports have some level of danger, and drugs are regularly used by many professional athletes. Bodybuilding is probably one of the more dangerous sports, behind football, boxing, and MMA for sure but far more dangerous than baseball, for example. Like anything else, the risk comes with the territory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Because this

Isn't the same as this

yeah thats something when you can look at how the most extreme body builders look today compared to 30-40 years ago, given the new kinds of chemicals and other crap they can take now.

its very obvious just from example of the shape of guys from one generation to the next their getting bigger.. its actually kinda scary wondering how far it'll go.

Also since I mentioned it.

So while a body builder can put some weight into his workout, it just isn't the same as someone who trains to be a strongman
    Last edited by Trassk; 2018-07-12 at 11:19 PM.
    #boycottchina

Bodybuilders all have dysmorphia. It really is a sickness but like most things, since its mainly men, nobody really cares. Its the equivalent to women becoming anorexic. Its a mental disorder with how their body looks.