VAR is so necessary IMO. In Spain Real Madrid and Barcelona have a great advantage as referees always lend them a hand.

Actually not only in Spain but in Europe too. Champions League's last two years are a clear example.
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkarath View Post
    VAR is so necessary IMO. In Spain Real Madrid and Barcelona have a great advantage as referees always lend them a hand.
    Refs can be brought off or be biased for sure but at least with refs they are personally responsible and have to stand by their decisions and be able to defend them.

Who the hell decides what VAR calls go through in the first place and who decides the call in the end, could be anyone in those backrooms. They dont even need to explain their decisions. Also calling for VAR when the other team is mid attacking play and killing off the attack is bullshit

Spain are masters of time wasting. Bad luck Iran
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2018-06-20 at 07:36 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    We've had VAR this season in Belgium and compared to the complete messups that happened there - tough it improved a bit over the course of the season - the VAR decisions during the world cup have been pretty much spot on... except for several forwards being wrestled to the ground in the penalty area :s

So close on that last header by Iran

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Pique has been so fucking poor on the defensive end.

VAR showed this game that it can kill off the little guy. Sometimes you need a bit of luck to kill a giant.

May as well just have a world cup of brazil, germany, france, spain, portugal, argentina because no one else is winning it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    dat nut meg

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    dat nut meg
    He also completely missed his opponent which opened up a lot of space.

10+ Year Old Account
    Without VAR that goal would've been disallowed right away because the linesman flagged offside. There would be no review, and the result would've been the exact same in this case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    Seems really nonchalant so far. Somehow disinterested.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Without VAR that goal would've been disallowed right away because the linesman flagged offside. There would be no review, and the result would've been the exact same in this case.
    Yeah if the linesman flagged it then it probably didnt change much. But it highlights how shitty VAR is for enjoying the game. Instead of a tight 1-1 we get spain passing them to death to win a 1-0.

VAR helped make the game less enjoyable to watch

Why do they let people take horns into the stadiums, sounds incredibly stupid. I'd be livid if I had paid to watch the game and end up deaf because of ADHD bogans thinking they are funny with a blow horn
    Let them bring in all the horns they want, so long as they can carry them in shoved up their asses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah if the linesman flagged it then it probably didnt change much. But it highlights how shitty VAR is for enjoying the game. Instead of a tight 1-1 we get spain passing them to death to win a 1-0.

VAR helped make the game less enjoyable to watch
    But it does make it more fair. I prefer fair over enjoyable, but to each their own. VAR is not perfect (see Kane incident) but it's a hell of a lot better than seeing every corner 2-3 defenders wrestling attackers to the ground. Or attackers filming their way to a penalty.

But it does make it more fair. I prefer fair over enjoyable, but to each their own. VAR is not perfect (see Kane incident) but it's a hell of a lot better than seeing every game 2-3 defenders wrestling attackers to the ground. Or attackers filming their way to a penalty.
    How do you beat Spain if you are Iran? VAR makes the result predictable

So now it's who can score the most goals in their last game to top the group?
    Nice

10+ Year Old Account
    But isn't that sports, the better team should win? That's too bad for Iran. Besides Iran showed that with playing a very disciplined game they came close to a result; the Spain goal was unlucky.

5+ Year Old Account
    Iran isn't even out. If they beat Portugal they go through. And I must say Portugal really did not impress today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still not really convinced by Spain. Way too low pace (bit like Brazil's first game). On the other hand, also difficult to play against a team that plays so defensively. However, a lot needs to improve still for Spain to become a serious title contender. However, tournament is long still.

Well 1-0 was quite good result for Iran . i expected hella more from Spain vs a poor team . what a shitty goal that was .

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    Iran isn't even out. If they beat Portugal they go through. And I must say Portugal really did not impress today.
    Yeah that not gonna happen , the day Iran beat Portugal is the day Ronaldo should say good bye to football .

But isn't that sports, the better team should win? That's too bad for Iran. Besides Iran showed that with playing a very disciplined game they came close to a result; the Spain goal was unlucky.
    its the only way they could have got a result, make the game tight and hope for a bit of luck in the final third.

Its whatever, life will go on, Spain beating iran is no big deal. I just think VAR takes a bit of magic out of the game and makes it less enjoyable to watch

10+ Year Old Account
    its the only way they could have got a result, make the game tight and hope for a bit of luck in the final third.

Its whatever, life will go on, Spain beating iran is no big deal. I just think VAR takes a bit of magic out of the game and makes it less enjoyable to watch
    Of course, I am not blaming Iran for playing that sort of disciplined game. They executed it to perfection, and even created 2-3 goal scoring chances.

Football isn't Mario Kart. There is no blue shell.

Sometimes the underdog can win, but they do so on the balance of the teams on the day, not some systemic equalising force.

You can argue that it makes the result predictable, but it can just as easily be argued that without VAR that refs have more license to give big teams the benefit of the doubt when a decision shouldn't have gone their way.