Poll: Will you get a Authenticator key for only 4 additional bag slots?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, why would I need 2 way authentication for a friggin video game?

I know how to behave in the Internet, my WoW account has a unique password.

Tried the keychain a few years back for kicks (and pet) but constantly had issues with the sync, so I removed it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapo View Post
    I've see many people get account bans cuz their acco was compromised and got used cheats on.
    Tbh most people who got a ban asked for it by buying illegal boosts (pilots), botting, hacking, account sharing with a "friend", "brother", "cousin" or whoever else, or did something super stupid and instead owning up for it tried to lie they "got hacked" and "the hacker did it", or "their brother went on their account behind their back and did it" and so forth.

Prime example is one guy on MMO-champ who got banned for harassment and then claimed "his brother did it" while changing his story 5 times over.

I've seen maybe 3 legit cases of someone getting hacked and all 3 accounts were returned to their respective owners in the end, and not perma banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    My plan is to get one for the inventory space and then disable it immediately. I don't want any extra steps before being in the game. I hope it will be possible.
    There are no 'extra steps' unless you mean the extra steps of getting you're account back after it's gotten stolen =D
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I already have the authenticator, so I'll get 'em, but it would be more exciting if it were 4 more *bag* slots (as in, being able to have 4 more bags for inventory). That would be far more useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    So as the PTR is just up, and so far if you have a Authenticator you get 4 slots for your backpack. What are your feeling on this. Will you get a Authenticator for this? Will you let the optional 4 slots go through if you have one/get one? What size were you looking for?

Poll inc.
    To be honest I wonder why they didn't just make it tied to achievement points or something (say for every 1000 points you get you get 1 extra bag slot.), would have made all avenues of game play beneficial, and gotten people trying for old achievements again.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Nope, why would I need 2 way authentication for a friggin video game?

I know how to behave in the Internet, my WoW account has a unique password.

Tried the keychain a few years back for kicks (and pet) but constantly had issues with the sync, so I removed it again.
    Weird, my GF and I use forms of 2-factor auth with many MMO's, WoW being the first when it was introduced many years ago, and we have never once had an issue... I see you are a FF14 fan - another game we use it on with zero issues...

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    There are no 'extra steps' unless you mean the extra steps of getting you're account back after it's gotten stolen =D
    I am not in the least worried about my account being compromised =D

And I do think that it will complicate things for me as I have 2 different connections at my own home and I also frequently log in from another address.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitedragon View Post
    To be honest I wonder why they didn't just make it tied to achievement points or something (say for every 1000 points you get you get 1 extra bag slot.), would have made all avenues of game play beneficial, and gotten people trying for old achievements again.
    Better idea to encourage added security imo...strong passwords are only so good when there are ways it can be bypassed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by azurrei View Post
    Better idea to encourage added security imo...strong passwords are only so good when there are ways it can be bypassed.
    I'll admit at this point i'm kind of amazed that there are still people out there who haven't had this done already lol.... but ehh 4 free bag spaces

10+ Year Old Account
    Only 4? Bummer. Want 8+. But I'll take it! I've had my authenticator years.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

On one hand, I'm shocked so many (according to this poll) still don't have an authenticator. Then on the other hand, I have to remind myself the level of intellect the gaming community has, and I should not be surprised.

I could somewhat understand when authenticators used to be key-fob, where you had to enter a code in every time. It was mildly annoying, and the thing cost money, batteries went dead, etc.

But now that it uses smartphones, is free, rarely get prompted to authenticate, and when you do have to, you just tap a button on your phone to approve....there's no reason to not have one. The only reason is stupidity. 5-10 years from now EVERYTHING will have 2 factor authentication. Refusing to use it just shows your ignorance and stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    But now that it uses smartphones
    Don't

Have

One.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

This is going to fuck my UI up by making a third column of bags. Why? No reason to do this

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    I just use SMS protect. IIRC I don't have an authenticator attached? Or if I do I haven't had to use it in YEARS.

They came out in BC IIRC but they added incentives and more options in Wrath. June of '08 they launched according to Google.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't have extra steps anymore? You don't have to enter the code every time, very rarely do you have to. Anyway that won't work if the core hound pet is any indication. Removing the authenticator removes the pet from your account, so I can't imagine that the bag slots would stay if the pet doesn't.
    Maybe if your lucky enough to have a static of even sticky ip address from your isp, some peoples dynamic ip doesnt stick to a specific range and its a very annoying issue with things like 2factor authentication.

As for removing bag slots when u remove authenticator, I'm not sure how you'd do this if the slots are currently in use, seems like youd have to make an active effort to remove them from people rather then just leaving it alone.

I like how the old excuse for the unchangeable backpack size was "we can't do it because programming." Now it's "Hey we fixed it as long as you're willing to have an annoyingass authenticator on your account." My account has never been hacked, authenticators are annoying, and I won't be using one. Bag space hasn't been an issue for me since they changed transmog to let me vendor old sets and shit.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not worried about security at all either. I have never been hacked in any game ever, and I think I know why: I use different emails and passwords for everything and I am not an idiot when browsing the internet.
    Yeah same. I have an email account that I only use for my battle.net account, so gfl tracking down my info, hackers.

There's absolutely no reason to NOT have authenticator already.

Ive got the keyfob. I think ive entered a code a couple of times this year, normally after something like a major windows update. VPN doesn't matter either so im guessing it works on something within your install/windows serial number etc to allow. I also use the launcher on my tablet for hearthstone and can switch between the 2 easily (And tablet can be via either wifi, mobile phone or wireless dongles). Couple years ago I needed to authenticate every time it changed connection tho.

As for 'but im smart with security' etc. You might be but doesnt mean your ISP/Email providers are. Yahoo for example had pretty much every one of their email users stolen including passwords, and didnt even tell anyone about it. First I knew when Yahoo got hacked is when my account spammed my other account.
    So WoW account attached to that email, they have your username, profile details and can attempt a password recovery which they can access the confirmation email.

Those without smartphones I can understand obviously (Although surprised it seems theres a few people dont have them these days, or even any form of portable electronic device on android or apple).

Quote Originally Posted by Reffan View Post
    There's absolutely no reason to NOT have authenticator already.
    Sure there is: some of us have email accounts just for WoW with separate passwords and we're not retarded. No point in anything complicating my gaming beyond what it is now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not in the least worried about my account being compromised =D

And I do think that it will complicate things for me as I have 2 different connections at my own home and I also frequently log in from another address.
    And you don't have to constantly enter your password and unlock your account? The authenticator also prevents that from happening.

I have a physical authenticator from years ago and need it once every few months; it's really not a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazu View Post
    As for 'but im smart with security' etc. You might be but doesnt mean your ISP/Email providers are. Yahoo for example had pretty much every one of their email users stolen including passwords, and didnt even tell anyone about it. First I knew when Yahoo got hacked is when my account spammed my other account.
    If you're not using a Gmail account as a freebie at this point, you're just asking for security issues.