Paladins unveils loot box cards like Star Wars Battlefront 2 and no one seems happy

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...und-loot-boxes

Apparently Star Wars Battlefront 2 is not setting a bad enough example, because Hi-Rez has unveiled a loot box-based card-ability system for Paladins which works in much the same way.

It's not a one-for-one likeness. Paladins is a free-to-play game where microtransactions are the bread and butter income, whereas Star Wars Battlefront 2 costs £50 upfront. Also, Hi-Rez might have been planning this a long time before Battlefront 2 made a pig's ear of it.

Nevertheless, the similarities are strong. Paladins' new Cards Unbound system introduces card-abilities of tiered strength - level one to level five - and they're inextricably linked to the random contents of loot boxes, which you will of course be able to buy (although not yet).

All bottom-level versions of cards (both legendary and basic) are unlocked for everyone. The grind comes from levelling them up, which requires duplicates found in loot boxes. Loot boxes can be earned for free but as you'll need around 43 duplicates to level a card to five, according to Paladins YouTuber Kami (via Kotaku), this will very much be the long the way. Buying loot boxes will be significantly quicker.

Level five card-abilities are significantly stronger than those at level one. Take damage dealer Cassie for an example (the Open Beta 64 patch notes detail each champion):

Her Blast Shot reduces healing by 8/16/24/32/40 per cent
    Her Dodge Roll distance increases by 10/20/30/40/50 per cent
    Her Disengage cooldown is reduced 1.5/3/4.5/6/7.5 seconds when hitting someone in the air
    Her Tumble (Armor) grants 10/20/30/40/50 per cent crowd control reduction
    And her legendary, Just Breathe, increases crossbow damage 25/37.5/50/62.5/75 per cent over 100 units
    The difference in strength between a level one-equipped player and a level five is obvious.
    But - and this is a big but, so to speak: tiered strengths are only active in Quick Play (formerly Casual). In Ranked mode all cards are locked to level three.

The justification of a level playing field for Ranked play is clear. But in Quick Play? "Some players just want to have fun and do cool things," said Hi-Rez in a Cards Unbound blog post. "They want an epic experience that's even more over-the-top than Paladins is today, unconstrained by the more cumbersome aspects of deckbuilding and point limits."

Sensing controversy, Hi-Rez added: "We get it: This is a major change that may be controversial, particularly given some recent questionable moves by full-price games. We're moving forward with this system because we believe it will make the game better for all of our players.

"The vast majority of our players will never spend a dime. Regardless of how much money you have in your wallet, we want to make sure you have a great time. Our number one priority as we introduce Cards Unbound is that the free-to-play experience feels great."

In an effort to get it right, Hi-Rez will not allow Card Chests (loot boxes) to be bought with real money until patch 65, "but we may delay this". "We aren't comfortable charging you for Card Chests until we have time to tune the economy after seeing real-world results (and we definitely anticipate adjustments)." Patch 64 is currently is testing and is not live.
    Unsurprisingly, Hi-Rez is facing the ire of the vocal Paladins community, both on the game's forum and on Reddit - where everyone seems to quite like the current system Cards Unbound is changing. Few, if any, seem in favour of the change.
    "Hello," began one post, "I've been playing this game almost since Open Beta launched, yet this is my first post on the main forums. I barely play competitive mode and I have never played the PTS version of the game either. I simply like to sit down and play some casual games, and never felt the need to say anything about the game until now.

"The changes to the card system are too extreme, the replacement of casual queue is too drastic, and while I'd love to see an over-the-top gamemode with ridiculous mechanics like Team Fortress 2's x10 servers or Overwatch's Arcade mode, making it directly dependant on player owned cards is really unfair, especially to new players which will be outmatched by veterans with higher level cards."
    Why did they think this was a good idea......

Fucken Starwars couldn't get away with it, Why do they think Paladin's could?
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Why did they think this was a good idea......

Fucken Starwars couldn't get away with it, Why do they think Paladin's could?
    Quote Originally Posted by The second fucking paragraph
    Also, Hi-Rez might have been planning this a long time before Battlefront 2 made a pig's ear of it.
    It's a fucking mystery.

i thought the game was free to play did they change the model?

Companies are fucking idiots frankly i cant to see the next big debacle from bethesdas fallout and elder scrolls after the fucked the dog

10+ Year Old Account
    "We're moving forward with this system because we believe it will make the game better for all of our players."
    So forcing in a system that unbalances characters across the board via randomised loot boxes of ability affecting loot cards and is specifically built with the intention of being far more rewarding and beneficial for those who pay is making the game better for all the players? What sort of logic is that? And considering it affects their ranked mode as well is fucking ludicrous.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

And that's Paladins uninstalled........

Seriously how the hell does it make the game better for players if someone can essentially pay to have a major advantage?

Cosmetics is one thing but actual power in a game for $ is terrible its gonna bite them in the ass too.

Deleted
    I honestly don't get how they couldn't wait for the fucking Star Wars shit storm to be over to introduce this.

At least it's free to play so the bullshit has no initial cost.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    I was typing a response to this but this is way better.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Good thing I uninstalled Paladins in august (I think?). A good game with a shit developer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Good thing I uninstalled Paladins in august (I think?). A good game with a shit developer.
    Just as with Tribes: Ascended. Gawd I loved that game before it went down the shitters :C
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Just as with Tribes: Ascended. Gawd I loved that game before it went down the shitters :C
    Ah yes, the Shazbowl... What a time to be alive.

at the very least, if you have the cards before this change goes through, they compensate you by not forcing you to grind out the first 3 levels for cards, and this change only really affects casual play, comp has all the card locked in to lvl 3.

7+ Year Old Account
    Wasnt Paladins already kinda on the low side with players if so then this isnt doing them any favours.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope this trend continues to the point where companies finally fucking realize that loot crates are a bad fucking idea, and just stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.