1. #1

    What "Important Improvements" does MMO-Champ need?

    As you're saying I can pay $0.99 for MMO-C Premium to help implement important improvements, can you share what important improvements they are?

  2. #2
    I am Murloc! OneWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tesseract
    Posts
    5,029
    Wallets being full is important thing to have.
    "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man loses his nerves"

  3. #3
    The Unstoppable Force Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    22,861
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Wallets being full is important thing to have.
    *cough cough*

    "Wallets being full", bwahahaha... 1 dollar a month pr. user ain't that much when you also have to pay for the site and connection, and it is clear that it isn't the major pile of people yet.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!

  4. #4
    MMO-C needs (in terms of infrastructure) at most, $5000-7000 a year depending on how advanced they want to get with their load-balancing and db replication. Infrastructure is cheap as hell.

    Even with ~50% of users blocking ads, they are making bank on ad revenue.

  5. #5
    I am Murloc! OneWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tesseract
    Posts
    5,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    *cough cough*

    "Wallets being full", bwahahaha... 1 dollar a month pr. user ain't that much when you also have to pay for the site and connection, and it is clear that it isn't the major pile of people yet.
    Tweaked forum sites do not require much of a storage, just lots of code which overall is not usually more than few (hundred sometimes) megabytes. If you count just one site, with one domain and hosting, that's not expensive either - up to 100-150$. If you say that "it isn't the major pile of people yet", I am not sure why would they even try to give a "premium" feature if it doesn't going to pay out well. The only reason someone would do it is because they are either sad or they can actually gain something effective.
    "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man loses his nerves"

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Tweaked forum sites do not require much of a storage, just lots of code which overall is not usually more than few (hundred sometimes) megabytes. If you count just one site, with one domain and hosting, that's not expensive either - up to 100-150$. If you say that "it isn't the major pile of people yet", I am not sure why would they even try to give a "premium" feature if it doesn't going to pay out well. The only reason someone would do it is because they are either sad or they can actually gain something effective.
    I'm unsure if you're trying to say they could use GoDaddy (since it's a single domain and a few hundred MB) or that their infrastructure cost is anywhere near $150, neither of which are remotely true. Their forum DB alone is easily in the hundreds of GB.

  7. #7
    I am Murloc! OneWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tesseract
    Posts
    5,029
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I'm unsure if you're trying to say they could use GoDaddy (since it's a single domain and a few hundred MB) or that their infrastructure cost is anywhere near $150, neither of which are remotely true. Their forum DB alone is easily in the hundreds of GB.
    I was thinking as software developer, separating forum application and forum DB from rest of Curse network.

    EDIT: WoW pedia claims MMO-C has 3milion users per month. Other site, 10 milion
    Last edited by OneWay; 2017-12-01 at 07:45 PM.
    "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man loses his nerves"

  8. #8
    You know there's this thing called the Front Page that needs constant work too, right? It's not just some static forum pages that need to be hosted online.

  9. #9
    The Unstoppable Force Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    22,861
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Tweaked forum sites do not require much of a storage, just lots of code which overall is not usually more than few (hundred sometimes) megabytes. If you count just one site, with one domain and hosting, that's not expensive either - up to 100-150$. If you say that "it isn't the major pile of people yet", I am not sure why would they even try to give a "premium" feature if it doesn't going to pay out well. The only reason someone would do it is because they are either sad or they can actually gain something effective.
    Premium isn't really meant to payout when so cheap, more a QoL thing. As well, I am almost certain the price tag is more than 150 dollars on this.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    Roses are red, mana is blue. Suramar Guards, Will always find you!

  10. #10
    To answer the question, stuff I would love to do if I had the time in no particular order: Make the site more mobile friendly, have time to fix some long standing bugs, a bit of a design refresh, lots of internal tools need work, expand the content we produce, make some cool new tools for users, get SSL working, add 2FA, expand various forum systems we already have in place, and much more.


    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    MMO-C needs (in terms of infrastructure) at most, $5000-7000 a year depending on how advanced they want to get with their load-balancing and db replication. Infrastructure is cheap as hell.

    Even with ~50% of users blocking ads, they are making bank on ad revenue.
    Yeah if we had no employees and less servers/bandwidth usage this would be accurate. Fortunately that isn't the case.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •