Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Monk tips and tricks for Antorus

So post all the tips and tricks you found you can do as a Monk to help with the encounters/trash.

Guessing Ring of Peace is pretty useful for some encounters here like Eonar and Council.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Eye of the Tiger can remove Flashfreeze debuff on Coven of Shivarra.

transcendence to skip the bridge for imonar

this tier looks good for monks and their mobility

Deleted
    Smart usage of Transcendence trivializes most of the mechanics. Just be mindful of repositioning it, don't be me at Kin'garoth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamehameha456 View Post
    Eye of the Tiger can remove Flashfreeze debuff on Coven of Shivarra.
    you mean tigers lust right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollatorklm View Post
    you mean tigers lust right?
    Oops, yeah. Tigers lust.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ring of Piece maybe the MVP talent for this tier. Good for Eonar, Coven, and as a clutch, Aggramar (Heroic and Mythic); though Paralysis is better for that than RoP. Actually RoP is good for Aggramar to PUSH adds into the boss if the add is a bit too far away from the boss and your DK's grip is on cooldown. For Coven, the best use is to actually put the RoP BETWEEN the Norgannon adds so that they are pushed to the side of the RoP. That way you manually make a path behind the line.
    Last edited by Hinalover; 2017-12-02 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinalover View Post
    Actually RoP is good for Aggramar to PUSH adds into the boss if the add is a bit too far away from the boss and your DK's grip is on cooldown.
    Had to do that multiple times last night before our parselord dps killed them right next to him.

putting RoP between wall adds pushing them away as they spawn - trivializing mechanics.

stopping stagger damage on varimathras removes any need for healing.

leaving transcendence on bridge on imonar can bypass half of bridge without problem
    Last edited by Evilmoo; 2017-12-04 at 07:27 AM.
    zug zug

what is it paladin, one zug is not enough for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    lore should be voluntary to the game. not obligatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmoo View Post
    putting RoP between wall adds pushing them away as they spawn - trivializing mechanics.
    Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean to push them directionally to the sides instead of backwards to create a gap?

Quote Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
    Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean to push them directionally to the sides instead of backwards to create a gap?
    The moment they spawn (even before they activate) you can put RoP just between two adds and the moment they are activated they are pushed to the side, effectively giving you huge safe space.
    zug zug

Karma doesn't work on -heal debuff on Varimathras, right? It's kinda obvious, but you can never be too sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmoo View Post
    stopping stagger damage on varimathras removes any need for healing.
    The BoC stagger stop right?
    I probably am missing something but could you elaborate how exactly that removes the need for healing?

Quote Originally Posted by Aiqe View Post
    I probably am missing something but could you elaborate how exactly that removes the need for healing?
    You shouldn't be taking any other damage, because the other tank taunts the boss. So while for other tanks their damage intake just stops. We keep ticking down with stagger.
    Pausing stagger means that we (like other tanks) don't take any damage during this time.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    You shouldn't be taking any other damage, because the other tank taunts the boss. So while for other tanks their damage intake just stops. We keep ticking down with stagger.
    Pausing stagger means that we (like other tanks) don't take any damage during this time.
    Problem here is that Misery lasts 7 or 8s while stagger pause only lasts 3s. So you'll either have to waste 2 brew charges on ISB while not being attacked every time, or you'll have to settle for only 40% of paused stagger time while Misery is up.

Edit: I must say, BrMs are BY FAAAAR the worst tanks for Varimathras. This fight was pretty much designed to be the anti-BrM fight. Can't tell you how much easier it was to tank this guy on my VDH and BDK (BDKs can literally tank him without getting any outside heals, it was retarded). Fight was trivial on those 2. On my BrM, I died twice (and thus caused a wipe) because of our stupid stagger ticks killing me before I got the hang of it. BrMs definitely has to jump through a lot more hoops than the other tanks just to tank this guy, it's very annoying. Don't even want to think about having to tank this guy on a BrM in M difficulty.
    Last edited by Saverem; 2017-12-04 at 10:08 PM.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

I found that if stagger was high enough that pausing would help, purifying instead to cut that stagger in half did far more towards delaying my death.

Napkin math example: If after the swipe stagger would kill me in, say 5 seconds, pausing would extend that to 8 seconds, while purifying would double that 'time to die' up to 10, leaving me with more health overall when misery ended to help offset the raidwide aoe.

Pausing stagger is usually used in conjunction with heavy physical hits, to build up a larger stagger pool to make your following purifies remove a ton of damage. With Varimathras, that really isn't the case, and pausing only delays your death, while purify does that and removes damage from your pool.

Pausing would only be better than Purify if you had enough stagger in your pool that you'd die in less than 3 seconds. Even then, if you didn't have another brew to purify with you'd still be dead, and if you did have another, purifying twice instead of pausing may actually have saved you.
    Last edited by PinDrop; 2017-12-05 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiqe View Post
    You only need to pause stagger for 6 seconds that is 2 BoC + Brew combo, during misery you already are at low health so there are a lot of orbs to take in, the moment debuff drops you use all orbs and that heals you to full + remove a LOT of staggered damage due to 4 set (assuming you have 4 set. That's the way i did and we had no problem killing him.
    zug zug

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    Karma doesn't work on -heal debuff on Varimathras, right? It's kinda obvious, but you can never be too sure.
    It doesn't heal you, but it does still transfer the damage. So if you get misery, you won't tick down. It's very nice.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    It doesn't heal you, but it does still transfer the damage. So if you get misery, you won't tick down. It's very nice.
    Yes, but even the normal ticks from constant raid damage reaches the cap of damage. Pretty much no reason not to use it on cd.

My top brewmaster tip for varimathras is to demand a disc priest in the raid and request that they go Clarity of Will. It shifts the terrible fight design onto the priest instead of the brewmaster. Might suck a little bit for them, but it drastically reduces the risk of death. Having done it without one (the first kill) and with one (every kill since then) it's so much less butt-clenchy to have one as they can just clarity you through your stagger during misery. Also, I didn't do this myself, but using the stagger extension legendary ring should do a decent job of bringing down your risk of death during misery by further delaying some of that damage. Dampen Harm and Mystic vitality are both options to consider, as mystic vitality will improve your survival somewhat on every shadow strike, but if the swipes aren't normally scary (because of having a disc priest or whatever else), dampen harm can be used to breeze through one strike in dangerous situations (i.e. going into the strike low, running low on brew resources, general mistake recovery basically).

Most of the other bosses Brewmaster is good at the same things we're always good at. We can take on extra stacks from kin'garoth/aggramar/argus with relative ease if we need to, our personal mobility is great for smoothing out all sorts of situations, etc. etc.. We just need to keep petitioning for blizzard to suck up the weird amounts of stubborn pride they've had this expansion and overhaul the t21 into something completely different.