10+ Year Old Account

How does Prot do so much Holy Shield PvP damage?

So, I was going through some logs after a bout of PvP, and I noticed that a Protection Paladin had 70-80% of his damage done via Holy Shield. It was pretty obvious he was using his other abilities, but that Holy Shield was a tremendous chunk of his damage.

However, I am unable to find out exactly WHAT was buffing Holy Shield to such damage amounts. Holy Shield is supposed to deal 75% of attack power per block. As a Guardian druid myself, I was dealing roughly 2 attacks per second with melee+ability, but I don't think that at that rate of attack would have yielded so much holy shield damage?

It's world PvP btw. Any help towards figuring this out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Deleted
    Mostly because holy shield has no range limit from what I can remember, and allows you to block magical aswell as physical damage. This also include aoe attacks and dot ticks. If someone applies a 30 second DoT to you and they run off you have a chance to block every tick of that DoT and reflect damage to them no matter where they are. Combine that with the fact you are a tank and can probably take a alot of damage before you go down Holy Shield does add up.

Having said that its mostly useless damage. Most specs have some small passive healing and will just heal whatever Holy Shield is doing to them and that little trickle Holy Shield is doing is unlikely to make much difference in bursting someone down