Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21
    Stood in the Fire Nasuuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    No. Prot Warriors will always be in demand. Guilds need 8 geared tanks in Naxx40 for 4HM. You may have trouble finding a spot as a DPS warrior because they will almost assuredly be the most common spec at 60, but Prot Warriors (or 31/5/15 Warriors who don't mind tanking) are always in demand.



    It was very spammy. You needed to stance dance at times for Fears. You have extremely limited AoE threat tools so tab targeting intelligently is a must. Gearing is kind of obnoxious because you need several different kinds of gear for different situations (Resist, Threat, Max EH).




    Yes. I would advise all main spec tanks/healers to roll a Hunter/Lock/Mage to farm with. Unless you're an AH wizard, respeccing to farm is not really an option, nor is farming as Prot/Holy/Resto. Your only other option is farming in groups and 5mans (less efficient) or just gathering professions. Legit options, but not as good in the long run as a Hunter/Lock/Mage efficiently farming.
    a meh geared holy priest can cheese farm diremaul plants for 40g ish an hour

  2. #22
    Warriors are effectively the only raid tanks up until almost AQ.

  3. #23
    One of hardest thing in tanking will be clueless party members.

    There's always one who starts to nuke the mob not marked with skull, there is a healer who starts to heal too soon and gets aggro on all the mobs, a warlock casting DoTs on every target including the one marked for sheeping, a hunter unable to control his pet and growl kept on, etc.

    More often than not your worst enemy can be found in your group.

  4. #24
    If you want to ONLY tank, then I suggest you start early and establish yourself in a guild early on, because when guilds start to raid, tanks will likely be the one thing that the guilds won't be missing. They will gear up their DPS warriors in tank gear quite fast so they will not be in any huge hurry for replacements. Contrary to popular belief, tanks is one of the things that's in LEAST demand when it comes to raids, especially so in pugs, because the people making the pugs will almost always bring their own tanks for the pugs, because it's such a demanding role. For 5-mans however, this will be the most demanded spot but also the hardest spot to fill because you wont find many tanks who actually need to pug, they are all surrounded by guildies and friends, though early on when there are a lot of people wanting to get into tanking, there might be quite a few willing to join your group. Luckily, this spot can be filled by Druids and Paladins as well as Warriors, so you're not limited to just one class. Do not be afraid to bring them to your 5-man. They'll be a lot less common though.

    And yes, hell yes, level another alt, preferably a hunter or a mage, because a protection warrior is not a farming character, it's just there for you to raid with and do occasional PvP in WSG or AV. You will probably need both mining and herbalism on your alt character. Herbalism in particular is by far the most overpowered profession in Vanilla, since it's the key to both a healthy economy and good preparation for raids, which is arguably more important for tanks more than anyone else. You will probably want Engineering on your Warrior because of the utility that it brings, the 2nd one can be either Alchemy, Blacksmithing or Enchanting, whichever you prefer. In the end it might be worth it to level a 2nd alt just for the flexibility that multiple professions offers.

    Also, no Warrior tanks shouldn't use most daggers. There are some exceptions to this rule, like in a situation like Storfan mentioned, but there are also some daggers that are really good tank weapons, like Blessed Qiraji Pugio in AQ40 or Harbinger of Doom in Naxxramas.
    You won't find an expanded version of my avatar here.

  5. #25
    Warchief Fallen Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Haunting Vegeta
    Posts
    2,162
    I'm going to try and get every class to cap since I only played 2 classes in vanilla. I did have a warrior back in the day, but I might go something different this go.

  6. #26
    played warrior(tank) from MC to the end of Wotlk.

    I assume there is going to be a lot of warriors, most will be DPS. Fury was actually pretty good- slam build, BWL and onwards you could get some good 1h's and gear to make dual wielding actually a thing. Mortal strike warriors suck for pve dps, very feast or famine and i think they simply dont have the numbers to compete.. like bring a fury warrior or a rouje

    1. Do you think it will be hard for a warrior to get into a raiding guild? This is likely as a protection warrior. What was it like on nostalrius etc?
    I doubt it, but there is absolutely no way to know how many people will play and what classes/specs they will want
    I did not play on nostralius or any other private server long enough to get a good take on that atmosphere-and i don't think information from those servers really matters, i am anticipating the player base to be much larger than those servers had.


    2. What would you say was hard about vanilla tanking? Was it the case that warrior tanks used daggers...?
    Well, the more gear you get the less rage you get because you (and i might be wrong about the specifics) you dont gain rage from dodge/parry (or maybe you did) but regardless, better gear == less rage. At the time, at level 40 (and onwards until the end of time. I was the first tank in the guild to tell people we needed to tank swap on Vael.. even though that was "impossible") i never thought tanking was hard, your spells literally say "causes a lot of threat"... so use those? duh? Apparently revenge and heroic strike spam was good enough to keep aggro, without sunder, i am not of that crowd though and will be sundering

    Tanking is not hard.... unless your group overdps's or dps's the wrong target. there is no aoe threat in vanilla (battle shout with t2 bonus and the talents increasing it being cast on 4-6 people **hunter pets and warlock pets** creates a massive amount of threat and can be used for aoe tanking, specailly during Nefarian and that boss in AQ with a million adds but.. typically tanking is EZ pZ, sheild slam the main target, hope you land it and the ensuing auto/sunder, if there's a second target.. do something to it. go back to first target... if your group doesnt wig out and lets you get aggro and then dps's there is no issue.
    Using a dagger had nothing to do with anything.. i mean.. as far as that making things difficult, its a non issue. the idea was fast weapons generated more threat from more autos and if you were rage capped they provided more heroic strike spam. that does not mean that you can't use a 2.6 speed 1h for tanking, its just probably bad, especially if you miss the first few auto's/abilities.. protection warrior dps is not a thing. however, i did know a warrior who would kill his add on Majordomo before we got to it (although they heal at some point so it was kinda worthless, but cool i guess)

    5mans is hard, raid tanking is literally the easiest thing you could possibly do, your offtanks should be keeping up debuffs (demo shout and thunder clap).. not that the MT can't do it but theres nothing else for OT's to do really. and faceroll your buttons, should you get aggro, you typically wont lose it if you spam. I think threat still uses the 15 percent threshold (and did in vanilla??) for ranged VS melee.

    3. Would you level a character just for farming things? to avoid changing specialisation from protection? Maybe a level 60 mage can do it?
    mm not sure, if i play the game a lot hopefully my guild will help me out, either through straightup money or by letting me tag a long to farming runs, OR being the tank i will lead the farming runs.. who knows.. im kinda a-social nowadays so maybe that wont happen.
    I definitely will want a rogue and a priest at 60 but that's asking a lot of my time so who knows if i'll level an alt or two (or my main for that matter)
    There's also nothing stopping Blizzard from resurrecting both Arthas and Archimonde and turning them into super saiyans so that they can fuse and fight Sargeras

  7. #27
    Legendary! Huntingbear_grimbatol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Norway, Trondheim
    Posts
    6,654
    Considering all raiding guilds will use 2 Warrior tanks (and maybe one Feral Druid) and Arms Warriors being one of the 3 best classes for pvp? Yes they'll be common.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    Considering all raiding guilds will use 2 Warrior tanks (and maybe one Feral Druid) and Arms Warriors being one of the 3 best classes for pvp? Yes they'll be common.
    2 tanks is the bare minimum and assuming those 2 tanks have 100% attendance and then you'll still have to force a few fury warriors to tank. A healthy raiding roster for 40man raiding guild will need atleast 3-5 geared protection warriors and 5+ fury warriors.
    To all those suggesting QoL-changes to CLASSIC, please consider this: QoL-changes will attract the crowd that already have active subscriptions. The crowd that already enjoy [Current expansion] and they WILL grow tired of CLASSIC within the first few weeks and months following its release. Keeping CLASSIC pure and untouched from these changes is what will make it successful. It will attract the enthusiast crowd. The crowd that will sustain the servers for years to come.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Warriors are effectively the only raid tanks up until almost AQ.
    Not like you have a ton of options in vanilla... correct me if im wrong but for horde is either warrior or druid.

    Alliance also had paladins so its like 1 out of 2 for horde and 1 out of 3 for alliance

  10. #30
    Very common.
    One of the best Vanilla classes.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by BetoDS View Post
    Not like you have a ton of options in vanilla... correct me if im wrong but for horde is either warrior or druid.

    Alliance also had paladins so its like 1 out of 2 for horde and 1 out of 3 for alliance
    Pallies couldn't raid tank until later in vanilla, and Druids were horrible mana sponges. The only sane choice was warriors. That started to change with class revamps and tweaks midway through the expansion but even then you rarely saw either a druid or a pally tank anything meaningful until very late.

  12. #32
    i will be playing a warrior, but i plan to be a dps warrior
    i was one in classic, and it was a lot of fun, i just had to off tank at times

  13. #33
    They will be quite common, cause they have a role to fill everywhere. Also, they're one of the most fun classes to play when well geared, just my opinion ofc, but i know i share it with a lot of people.

  14. #34
    Warriors in vanilla are an amazing class - best tanks, one of the best DPS, one of the best PvP. The drawbacks are that they are by far the hardest class to level and expensive/difficult to gear. I don't think I'll have the patience to level a Warrior in vanilla on super congested realms.
    Former raider of Accession [US-Stormreaver]

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by xcoatsyx View Post
    I played a warrior tank from WOTLK onwards until MOP when I stopped playing. I played a shaman through the latter stages of vanilla, and TBC. I much preferred the experience on the warrior. Thinking of making one for classic.


    Anyway, my questions are as follows:

    1. Do you think it will be hard for a warrior to get into a raiding guild? This is likely as a protection warrior. What was it like on nostalrius etc?
    2. What would you say was hard about vanilla tanking? Was it the case that warrior tanks used daggers...?
    3. Would you level a character just for farming things? to avoid changing specialisation from protection? Maybe a level 60 mage can do it?


    Might think of some other stuff, but that's it for now
    If you are planning on tanking just get ready to build and manage sunders on multiple targets.

    It is actually more fun than tanking is now, once you get the hang of it.

    Another interesting note. The "Tab target" used to work better in Vanilla. I think they broke it near the end of BC or beginning of Wrath (don't remember). I am curious to see if they better "Tab target" comes back with Classic.

    That "Tab target" helps a lot when managing sunders on multiple targets.

    If you are planning on raiding than it will probably be easy to find a spot (if you tank), I think War was the only truly "viable" tank back then for raids.

  16. #36
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kekistan
    Posts
    1,387
    Very common, the best tank, one of the best /the dps in dw fury. And one of the best pvp specs in arms.
    Scales very well with gear, quite gimped/ rage starved without it.

    Pretty fun to play in my exp with stance dancing & a high skill cap.
    But also a serious pain to level, esspecially early on.

    - try to never pull more than 1 mob at a time.
    - swing kite, you should never be standing still to recive an enemy hit while waiting on your next auto attack. If your not in range of the mobs next melee attack; it wont occur.
    Perfectly executed you can kill a mob while only taking 2-3 hits. -> use the movement you are doing to move from mob A to B.
    Depending on your latency if you alternate left and right strafing (with your actual moving direction being backwards) you can force a gap even befoure you get hammstring (despite the mob moving as fast or faster than you).

    - clever use of los; any time you face a caster mob utilize losing as an interupt (suprising ammounts of objects can be used for this)

    At 30-40 you get quite abit of a powerspike w plate/ the whirlwind axe. From then on its a breeze really.

    Planning on going offtank so engi+mining on the warrior for sapper charges/ force reactive disk.

    Going to make a mage or hunter w alch + herb to support it /farm on the side.
    *Not so much to avoid spec changes (that I will do irregardless to pvp), but for raid consumables + solo farming potential. (mage is broken for aoe farming, hunter for dung solo potential/ ease of lvling; mage is prob better on paper but since everyone else is thinking along those lines -> could make hunter better).

    Bs+ench+(lw) you can always find a guild member for.
    *the patterns are rares / raid drops and all the good ones Bind on equip. Same thing with consumeables, you do not need to be say bs for sharpening stones or ench for oils.
    Most engineering stuff does require engineering however. And is bis for aoe tanking, with the bonus of also being pretty much mandatory for pvp.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by .Aen View Post
    expensive/difficult to gear.
    the only gear they couldn't possibly have a use for was cloth. i wore lots of leather and mail way back when for the agi/crit/hit

  18. #38
    Warchief Daffan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Computer Chair
    Posts
    2,003
    Warriors will ez be 50% of population.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

  19. #39
    I played a prot warrior in Vanilla so IF I DO play Classic then yes I'd likely play that again.

    Depending on any class balances they'd still be the only viable "raid tanks" so they'll be pretty popular for PvE focused players.

    I have 0 clue about PvP because I was only like, a scout or something on my rogue and Idfk on my warrior. Not high lol
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008 Hunter 2008-????

  20. #40
    Not me. I played a Warrior in Vanilla. While I don't regret my choice, I think I'm gonna go a different route.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •