Thread: RPPVP servers?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

RPPVP servers?

Do you guys think there will be RPPVP servers in Classic?
    Did you any of you guys play on a RPPVP server?

I originally started out on a PVP server (Deathwing) Then eventually started over on a RPPVP server (Twisting Nether). Personally for me I absolutely loved it. We still had the law "If it's red. It's dead" However I felt there were more people who really played into their character screaming emotes when they would kill the opposing faction. Like there was this paladin on my server that loved to PVP and in battlegrounds whenever he would kill an undead he would yell "For the Light! Another filthy undead has been vanquished!". I loved this and thought it added to the immersion / made the world really feel like a world.

What are your guys thoughts?
    If i was riding a donkey down the road. And someone threw a rock and knocked me off. Would i be stoned off my ass?

I'm playing on the same RP-PvP-Server since classic. So yes they were allready present back then. Though i doubt you'll see much of the immersion you wish for.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacktales View Post
    I'm playing on the same RP-PvP-Server since classic. So yes they were allready present back then. Though i doubt you'll see much of the immersion you wish for.
    I dont see why not though? Has the RP-scene diminished? Surely people playing on an RP server by choice also engage in RP:ing still?
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

In BfA PvP will become a toggle function so PvP servers won't be a thing anymore, just RP servers and regular servers. This will probably make its way into Classic as well.

Id honestly be shocked if they did multiple servers instead of one phasing megaserver. The problem with classic was always going to be a fluctuating playerbase as many people will still spend a lot of time on live. That is something they can address while maintaining the integrity of classic.

Which is can honestly see things moving this way in live as well as they continue to blur the lines between servers. Eliminating all servers to move towards mega-servers is a lot easier to spin than shutting down dead servers. Naming issues could be addressed simply by adding surnames.
    Last edited by Binaris; 2017-12-04 at 06:10 PM.

I hope we have the LEAST amount of servers possible, to actually consolidate an actual thriving server and community. If today's technology allows it, 1 megaserver would be IDEAL, but i'm guessing 2-3 per region (1 pvp, 1 pve, 1 rp), with probably fresh ones opening 6-12-18-24 months down the line.

Making 10 realms just for the sake of having them would suck, spreading the population thin throughout.

Rather have 1 AMAZING, BURSTING realm with ocasional queues at prime time than 5 empty ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    In BfA PvP will become a toggle function so PvP servers won't be a thing anymore, just RP servers and regular servers. This will probably make its way into Classic as well.
    highly doubt it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    I dont see why not though? Has the RP-scene diminished? Surely people playing on an RP server by choice also engage in RP:ing still?
    Because RP is a niche. And RPers interested in Classic is a niche of a niche. Probably wouldn't justify server by themselves, but maybe i'm just underestimating the amount of players interested in both RP and classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    Id honestly be shocked if they did multiple servers instead of one phasing megaserver. The problem with classic was always going to be a fluctuating playerbase as many people will still spend a lot of time on live. That is something they can address while maintaining the integrity of classic.
    While what you say is true...they cannot do this. The influx of playwers who just want to try it out, level to 10 and never come back again in the first month will be GIGANTIC. Depending on the exact payment model you could easily see 10 Million players on launch day. This is no exaggeration. WoW has had more than 100 Million players over its lifespan....it is not unreasonable to expect ~10% of them installing the client just to take a look.

If they launch with sharding mega-servers they will detroy the most relevant destinction of classic to current: Server integrity. Seeing people more than once. Caring who you invite etc. The Classic experience would be absolutely abysmal on a sharding mega server.

Blizzard can only lose this fight either way. If they fire up traditional servers they will need MANY of them for the first 2 weeks....and then they will all be empty. If they use sharding, the project is dead from the get-go.
    Last edited by Nathasil; 2017-12-04 at 06:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    I hope we have the LEAST amount of servers possible, to actually consolidate an actual thriving server and community. If today's technology allows it, 1 megaserver would be IDEAL, but i'm guessing 2-3 per region (1 pvp, 1 pve, 1 rp), with probably fresh ones opening 6-12-18-24 months down the line.

Making 10 realms just for the sake of having them would suck, spreading the population thin throughout.

Rather have 1 AMAZING, BURSTING realm with ocasional queues at prime time than 5 empty ones.

- - - Updated - - -

highly doubt it.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I think at first it could be cumbersome but give it 6 months everything should work its self out.
    If i was riding a donkey down the road. And someone threw a rock and knocked me off. Would i be stoned off my ass?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Sooo..pvp or pve then? Gonna piss half the ppl off any which way...
    Right? LMAO. Doesint matter what blizzard does. They are damned if they do, damned if they dont. Someone somewhere is going to complain no matter what.

5+ Year Old Account
    Because RP is a niche. And RPers interested in Classic is a niche of a niche. Probably wouldn't justify server by themselves, but maybe i'm just underestimating the amount of players interested in both RP and classic.
    I dont think they'll have any problems filling up RP servers for vanilla, infact I think vanilla is better from an RP-standpoint anyways.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

I dont think they'll have any problems filling up RP servers for vanilla, infact I think vanilla is better from an RP-standpoint anyways.
    Is it? I'm not an RPer in any way, shape or form, but i'd imagine the added content (appearances, models, cities, zones, mounts, characters, hell, <everything>) would offer more possibilities for RPers to do their thing.

I do agree that vanilla is vastly more immersive, so maybe that's a plus, but i'd think the 'assets'\possibilities might trump that, any RPer that can chime in? Actually curious about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Isn't RP-PvP dead and has been for years? Events being ganked by non-RPers and whatnot.

Now a RP-PvE server would interest me greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    While what you say is true...they cannot do this. The influx of playwers who just want to try it out, level to 10 and never come back again in the first month will be GIGANTIC. Depending on the exact payment model you could easily see 10 Million players on launch day. This is no exaggeration. WoW has had more than 100 Million players over its lifespan....it is not unreasonable to expect ~10% of them installing the client just to take a look.

If they launch with sharding mega-servers they will detroy the most relevant destinction of classic to current: Server integrity. Seeing people more than once. Caring who you invite etc. The Classic experience would be absolutely abysmal on a sharding mega server.

Blizzard can only lose this fight either way. If they fire up traditional servers they will need MANY of them for the first 2 weeks....and then they will all be empty. If they use sharding, the project is dead from the get-go.
    You are arguing my point yet disagreeing. It is odd. The influx at start will be huge and drop off very quickly. A smart system that shards the zones allowing 1 or 2 mega servers is what is needed for it to succeed. Not what will cause failure. Once the surge dies off, that will leave a bunch of dead realms just like live. The entire game, live and incoming classic, needs to get rid of the outdated idea of separate servers. It divides the player base and with transfers, people will simply flood one server and abandon the others. This has been shown over the past decade and needs to be planned for.

I really hope so. Defias Brotherhood was an amazing server at the time. Not sure if the Classic would be able to recreate this particular experience but it would be great. Plus I'd like to see a PvP server with enforced naming policies.

Is it? I'm not an RPer in any way, shape or form, but i'd imagine the added content (appearances, models, cities, zones, mounts, characters, hell, <everything>) would offer more possibilities for RPers to do their thing.

I do agree that vanilla is vastly more immersive, so maybe that's a plus, but i'd think the 'assets'\possibilities might trump that, any RPer that can chime in? Actually curious about it.
    It's about as you'd guess.

RP happens either way, but a lot of the added stuff (armor and weapon variations, the added areas in Stormwind, etc) are helpful to have. Transmog is absolutely amazing, and makes things much more immersive because you just have your armor set that your character wears, instead of a bunch of greens you put on in the city and then clown armor for stats when actually out and fighting.

I've played on RP-PVP servers since I started in 2006. I fully plan to be a carebear this time; rp and ganking just isn't my thing anymore.

I rarely ever encounter RPers , anymore. So it feels like the RP-Scene has diminished a lot, but maybe i'm painting too black here.

Well, having played extensively in Nostalrius, I can tell you that the idea of a "MEGAREALM" is extremely bad. In Nostalrius, we have had around 13000 people concurrently online on the main server

...and around 16000 people online during China Prime Time.

Here's why a MEGASERVER is a very stupid idea:

1. The server was UNPLAYABLE during China Prime Time. The systems simply could not take much more than around 14000 players and still provide a lag free experience. As far as I recall, we had a 4 second delay on actions, spells and abiloties.

2. Quests that relied on mobs that spawned on a timer were IMPOSSIBLE TO DO. Case in point, the Hunter Quest. In each demon spawn point there were always several hunters in waiting, typically from the same faction so you couldn't kill them, and there were also several griefers. The end result was that the quest was not doable for a large art of the playerbase for several MONTHS on end.

3. Word PvP & Honor Requirements: Because there were OVER 20000 players participating in the Honor System at the same time on the same server, ranking in PvP required an ABSURDLY HIGH NUMBER OF HONOR POINTS. This meant that there were many desperate people for honor points who camped choke points around the world.

For instance, I was attacked at one point in Nostalrius three times in Ashenvale as a 60 geared Hunter by three Horde 60 PvP'ers while on the road from Astranaar to the border between Ashenvale and Felwood.

The whole world was camped. It went beyond the point of "world pvp" to the point of "world pvp clusterf*ck".

I have read so much BS in here by clueless ppl that I really hope that Blizzard won't base some of their decisions on how to run the new Classic server on peope who post in here and in the Retail forums.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shifu View Post
    Do you guys think there will be RPPVP servers in Classic?
    Did you any of you guys play on a RPPVP server?

I originally started out on a PVP server (Deathwing) Then eventually started over on a RPPVP server (Twisting Nether). Personally for me I absolutely loved it. We still had the law "If it's red. It's dead" However I felt there were more people who really played into their character screaming emotes when they would kill the opposing faction. Like there was this paladin on my server that loved to PVP and in battlegrounds whenever he would kill an undead he would yell "For the Light! Another filthy undead has been vanquished!". I loved this and thought it added to the immersion / made the world really feel like a world.

What are your guys thoughts?
    Honestly as an RP'er, I don't expect it. I can't make myself believe that RP can be handled on classic as people would have to RP even more blue-eyed than normal.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    Well, having played extensively in Nostalrius, I can tell you that the idea of a "MEGAREALM" is extremely bad. In Nostalrius, we have had around 13000 people concurrently online on the main server

...and around 16000 people online during China Prime Time.

Here's why a MEGASERVER is a very stupid idea:

1. The server was UNPLAYABLE during China Prime Time. The systems simply could not take much more than around 14000 players and still provide a lag free experience. As far as I recall, we had a 4 second delay on actions, spells and abiloties.

2. Quests that relied on mobs that spawned on a timer were IMPOSSIBLE TO DO. Case in point, the Hunter Quest. In each demon spawn point there were always several hunters in waiting, typically from the same faction so you couldn't kill them, and there were also several griefers. The end result was that the quest was not doable for a large art of the playerbase for several MONTHS on end.

3. Word PvP & Honor Requirements: Because there were OVER 20000 players participating in the Honor System at the same time on the same server, ranking in PvP required an ABSURDLY HIGH NUMBER OF HONOR POINTS. This meant that there were many desperate people for honor points who camped choke points around the world.

For instance, I was attacked at one point in Nostalrius three times in Ashenvale as a 60 geared Hunter by three Horde 60 PvP'ers while on the road from Astranaar to the border between Ashenvale and Felwood.

The whole world was camped. It went beyond the point of "world pvp" to the point of "world pvp clusterf*ck".

I have read so much BS in here by clueless ppl that I really hope that Blizzard won't base some of their decisions on how to run the new Classic server on peope who post in here and in the Retail forums.
    Thats a poorly implemented mega realm though. properly done there would be caps per zone that would automatically create new shards as needed. The biggest hurdle they will need to deal with is population control, something they failed horribly at for the past decade. Megaserver is the only real solution to that