Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    They can, but since he's POTUS, they shouldn't. For that matter, I love the idea of his constant stream-of-consciousness tweeting. I just wish he was a better human being. I appreciate getting the unfiltered, unsanitized view from our elected leaders, but he says some truly appalling things and worse IMO, he constantly lies! I'm so discouraged with him that were he to tell me gravity is what makes things fall down, I'd have to get a second opinion. I'm used to politicians shading their facts and narratives, but I'm not used to them making up reality as they go along.

Still, even with all that frustration, I think the twitter feed is a good thing. In a sense, it's not any different than going on a barnstorming tour across the Midwest to drum up support for a policy. So it's not the fact he speaks constantly that bothers me, it's what he's saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I am not, nor was I before, nor will I in the future, discuss the legality of censorship. I am discussing the principle of the matter.
    Well carry on then. But I will say this, it is not really possible to separate the concept of free speech from the law. If you consider that your speech is always free unless someone limits it, then you are immediately dealing with government and law to define what free speech entails. In most cases we consent to voluntary limitations on our speech without the need for law.
    Last edited by Zmaniac17; 2017-12-06 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IronCorvus View Post
    Hate speech is free speech and no, it does not warrant getting banned for the same reason why your anti free speech stance doesnt warrant getting banned. Thats how freedom works. You get to spread your hate and he gets to spread his. Or do you want people to not be able to speak their mind and resort to violence instead? Why are you a supporter of violence?

- - - Updated - - -

Twitter is a private platform, if you want to censor people with different political views thats called fascism. Twitter can ban anyone, the question is should it resort to fascistic controll. I am apalled at how many people are pro censorship, speaks a lot to the freedom they enjoy that they dont even value it. Censoring trump means censoring you because once you resort to that its free game bitch and hes the one in power. Not that it would be fair to do if he wasnt, not that youd understand why. They are concidered private business at this point but i think "make your own twitter" argument is no logner relevant, its of thesame level like saying "make your own cannalisation and roads". At this point twitter facebook and youtube should be concidered utilities. They are the public square of our times and should have to be forced to respect constitutional protections of the citisens of a constitutional democratic developed countries. I think we are rapidly approaching the time at which they will have to be clamped down on and regulated. This would ensure protections of free speech for citizens and help with the net neutrality issue.
    Happy to see people with common sense

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Nothing makes me happier than triggering lefties.
    It is very strange that they accuse you of things that they are doing themselves

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    what he says shouldn't be protected by free speech, seeing as most of it is either inflammatory or flat out wrong.
    And i assume you are just the guy to say what should and shouldn't be protected by free speech right?

- - - Updated - - -

Twitter, youtube, Reddit, facebook and Google can hide behind their "We're private companies" all they like but they'll pay the price sooner or later if they start taking sides. People are fickle.

Quote Originally Posted by AQ40 View Post
    Hmmm, I was wondering if they can, course he is immune from any arrests, but bans from twitter :P?
    I don't follow or read his shit. If the lesser beings of this planet want to poison themselves, it's their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    Well carry on then. But I will say this, it is not really possible to separate the concept of free speech from the law. If you consider that your speech is always free unless someone limits it, then you are immediately dealing with government and law to define what free speech entails. In most cases we consent to voluntary limitations on our speech without the need for law.
    I don't agree with this. If the government and the law contradict my definition of free speech, then fuck em. The government can't tell me what to think.

I don't agree with this. If the government and the law contradict my definition of free speech, then fuck em. The government can't tell me what to think.
    Well it's not free thought, it's free speech. Most countries have pretty relaxed laws for speech. But you can certainly get arrested for speaking the wrong way at the wrong place and time.

Generally speaking society as a whole does not appreciate free speech. People who say anything they want at any time are generally considered jerks. You're expected to censor your less civil thoughts.

Well it's not free thought, it's free speech. Most countries have pretty relaxed laws for speech. But you can certainly get arrested for speaking the wrong way at the wrong place and time.
    That doesn't make it just. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't be arrested for telling a guy to shoot the President. I understand rational limits on free speech. If my definition of rational limits doesn't match the government's, then I'm not going to just agree with the government and throw away my principles. I wouldn't have lasted long in a country like Nazi Germany.

Generally speaking society as a whole does not appreciate free speech. People who say anything they want at any time are generally considered jerks. You're expected to censor your less civil thoughts.
    I don't really care what society appreciates. That doesn't mean I'm going to shoot my mouth off everywhere, but I want to be able to shoot my mouth off without getting put in a government camp, banned from using corporate services, or lynched by an angry mob of citizens.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2017-12-07 at 12:49 AM.

Deleted
    If you don't like Donald Trump, just don't follow him and it'll fine.
    Stop deciding what should or shoudn't be ban.

I don't like Coca Cola. It's not a reason to make a thread "Can the government ban Coca Cola sellings ?"
    It wouldn't make ANY sense ! And it's the same thing with Donald Trump.

I don't really care what society appreciates. That doesn't mean I'm going to shoot my mouth off everywhere, but I want to be able to shoot my mouth off without getting put in a government camp, banned from using corporate services, or lunched by an angry mob of citizens.
    The idea that you can do that consequence free is an illusion. You'll find yourself on the outside of most groups if you don't fairly closely mirror them. Some are more tolerant than others but never the less there will be constant pressure to change. That's just human nature.

Most people figure out very early on that to be very successful in life, you need to adopt a persona that aligns with those in power. We tend to think that only politicians do that. But really it's everyone. It starts with our parents telling us what we can and can't say.
    Last edited by Zmaniac17; 2017-12-07 at 12:37 AM.

The idea that you can do that consequence free is an illusion. You'll find yourself on the outside of most groups if you don't fairly closely mirror them. Some are more tolerant than others but never the less there will be constant pressure to change. That's just human nature.

Most people figure out very early on that to be very successful in life, you need to adopt a persona that aligns with those in power. We tend to think that only politicians do that. But really it's everyone. It starts with our parents telling us what we can and can't say.
    I don't expect my speech to be consequence free. I do expect it to be violence free barring extremes, like presenting a clear and imminent threat.