• None of the above

18 6.50%
  • Else (please post in the thread)

16 5.78%
Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

What "pure Vanilla" is?

I just wondered is there a general consensus among purists on what actually is "Pure Vanilla". So i decided to do this poll survey.

Option 1 for me

Deleted
    only Haägen-Dazs vanilla is pure

"Pure" Vanilla is an absurd notion.

1.1 and 1.12 are both as much vanilla as the other. It's just a matter of Blizzard deciding upon the best path for the server.

Starting at 1.1 and actually developing each patch going further would be absurd. They would actually need a developing team, they would have to deploy patches, fix bugs, deal with issues, and i think it would just be harmful for the server as well as a LOT of unnecessary effort.

Starting at 1.12 with gated content (starting with MC\Onyxiia) just seems smarter, easier and would require way less 'upkeep' and 'maintenance', as well as less dedicated staff.

It's just a matter of being smart about it, since you know, all those versions are vanilla.
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2017-12-05 at 07:49 PM.

Pure Vanilla is when you travel back in time 13 years.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    "Pure" Vanilla is an absurd notion.

1.1 and 1.12 are both as much vanilla as the other. It's just a matter of Blizzard deciding upon the best path for the server.

Starting at 1.1 and actually developing each patch going further would be absurd. They would actually need a developing team, they would have to deploy patches, fix bugs, deal with issues, and i think it would just be harmful for the server as well as a LOT of unnecessary effort.

Starting at 1.12 with gated content (starting with MC\Onyxiia) just seems smarter, easier and would require way less 'upkeep' and 'maintenance', as well as less dedicated staff.

It's just a matter of being smart about it, since you know, all those versions are vanilla.

Vanilla is not a point in time, not a specific build. It is the progression overtime and the experience it provides.

Quote Originally Posted by Syriane View Post
    only Haägen-Dazs vanilla is pure
    Love it tbfh

10+ Year Old Account
    1.12 is ultimate Vanilla. It's the most Vanilla Blizzard could make it.

I think the 2 which would be accepted by the community are:

Patch progression 1.0-1.12 (with critical bug/exploit fixes).

or

Patch 1.12 with progressive release and itemization (like successful private servers do).

First option is ideal, but second option is still reasonable. Either of those I think would satisfy the classic community.

Quote Originally Posted by AuthurDent View Post
    Vanilla is not a point in time, not a specific build. It is the progression overtime and the experience it provides.
    No.

That was the original experience, that no one will ever experience again.

Same applies to food, movies, music, books, kissing a girl for the first time, cliff diving, anything you experience for THE FIRST TIME. It just can't be recreated.

In regards to vanilla, people don't want to re-enact the experience again, it simply is an amazing game on its own, and people want to play it again. It's that simple.
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2017-12-05 at 08:06 PM.

I voted none of the above because none of the people clamoring for classic can agree on what they want. It's like ice cream or pizza toppings. No matter what is done there's going to be disappointed people.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post
    Patch progression 1.0-1.12 (with critical bug/exploit fixes).
    Then what about class balance that went with every patch? First talent tree overhauls came not one year into the expansion, clearly revealing class/spec performance not as intended. Wouldn't it be stupid to start the game with obvious problems with some specs, knowing full well what changes will be introduced later on, but still not implementing them at the start? What for?

Then what about other major gameplay changes that happened throughout Vanilla? Like meeting stones, cross-realm battlegrounds, linked auction houses, battlemasters, etc.? Should we wait until the time passes and the relevant patch is released to get those innovations?

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    I voted none of the above because none of the people clamoring for classic can agree on what they want. It's like ice cream or pizza toppings. No matter what is done there's going to be disappointed people.
    You could say the same about Legion's features, say for example, Legendaries. Some love them, others hate them... there's also disappointed people. That's besides the point i'd say

You could say the same about Legion's features, say for example, Legendaries. Some love them, others hate them... there's also disappointed people. That's besides the point i'd say
    That's an entirely different subject. If you had people who wanted the server to begin with the first patch of Legion and never change, people who wanted it to begin with the first patch and slowly release the others, and people who wanted it to begin with the final patch and never change you'd be talking about what I am.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by bladebarrier View Post
    Then what about class balance that went with every patch? First talent tree overhauls came not one year into the expansion, clearly revealing class/spec performance not as intended. Wouldn't it be stupid to start the game with obvious problems with some specs, knowing full well what changes will be introduced later on, but still not implementing them at the start? What for?

Then what about other major gameplay changes that happened throughout Vanilla? Like meeting stones, cross-realm battlegrounds, linked auction houses, battlemasters, etc.? Should we wait until the time passes and the relevant patch is released to get those innovations?
    You could then make the argument that even at 1.12 the classes weren't balanced and we should just go to 2.x. There were obvious problems with specs even at the end of Vanilla.

And as for your major gameplay changes, I think having them implemented over time is acceptable.

No.

That was the original experience, that no one will ever experience again.

Same applies to food, movies, music, books, kissing a girl for the first time, cliff diving, anything you experience for THE FIRST TIME. It just can't be recreated.

In regards to vanilla, people don't want to re-enact the experience again, it simply is an amazing game on its own, and people want to play it again. It's that simple.
    Yes. We do want to re-enact it. And will because that is how Blizzard will do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post
    You could then make the argument that even at 1.12 the classes weren't balanced and we should just go to 2.x. There were obvious problems with specs even at the end of Vanilla.
    There is not such a point in time when the classes/specs are in perfect balance, however this is not the point.
    The point is, granted class balance is kept original in Classic, we already know what changes will be made and when.
    For instance, lets say we know Hunters will get an overhaul 1.1 year in, which will make them an ok choice for raids. But before that patch they were undesirable. Just for the sake of having the pristine original experience, should devs make them wait for 1,1 year before they are allowed to raid?

Quote Originally Posted by AuthurDent View Post
    Yes. We do want to re-enact it. And will because that is how Blizzard will do it.
    You missed the point. We'll get to play vanilla again, which is awesome, my point was that it will never be the same as your first experience on it, that was unique.

Vanilla as its own game is still amazing, 13 years later, and i'm eager to dive back into it.

I voted 'else', since they all are 'pure vanilla'.

Vanilla WoW is not a single patch, or incomplete and buggy game released in 2004. It's a design philosophy Blizzard has abandoned long ago in favor of current retail WoW design style. In my opinion, they can recreate 'vanilla WoW' using modern graphics and adding new content as long as the game remains faithful to the principles and philosophy they used back in 2004.

You missed the point. We'll get to play vanilla again, which is awesome, my point was that it will never be the same as your first experience on it, that was unique.

Vanilla as its own game is still amazing, 13 years later, and i'm eager to dive back into it.
    I agree... 100%. But what it lacks in "new experience" it will be made up with "OMG... I remember this!"

Playing vanilla on a private server, there are times when I come across things, even bummer things like waiting on spans being camped that make me laugh and recall good times. So I do think nostaglia will make up for the newenss hat will be missing from the experience.

But once people are settled in, nostalgia will not be what keeps people playing... it's the fact that it is just an awesome game.