Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

It's a violation of their First Amendment rights.
    I think someone is going to read a bit closer next time after getting all these quote notifications, huh?

I don't know how the "general food compliance" works. Is this a situation where this shop not offering pork or wine means members of the community simply won't be able to obtain those items? Is this a matter of general welfare for the community?

I don't know, but as a matter of principle I don't think they should have to sell anything they don't want to sell, but this is France, not America.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    This whole revolution happened in France and a big part of it was the separation of church and state, which is pretty much the gist of the first amendment.
    you want to argue this point, find the French law that is applicable, stop referring to the US 1st amendment, its another countries law.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Stupid and unlawful decision.

Should close stores that sell halal meat instead.
    Pretty sure that was the end game, they just couldn't because retards would scream Islamophobia. So they found a loophole they could exploit.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Beautifully executed bait. One sentence and guaranteed replies. I salute you, sir.

I'm not saying they do?

I'm saying the french basically came up with the idea for it in the first place and that doing something like targeting certain religious practices goes against one of the core principals of their most defining point in history.
    Then find the french law, the US 1st amendment is for the french.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

There you go, possible evidence you can use to argue this shut down being wrong.

At first I thought that this it the business of the owner of the store and not the government, but..

The Good Price mini-market in Colombes did not comply with the conditions of its lease, which stated the shop must act as a "general food store," the Court of Nanterre ruled.

The court said the products the shop stocked were "restrictive and did not fit the broad concept of general good."
    I'm not sure I feel sorry for them anymore, read what you sign?

Was a pretty short article, I wonder if it was more to this than just pork and alcohol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laïcité

No need to ask the same question twice.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd rather people tried to learn for themselves rather than being spoon fed.

When someone brings something up i disagree with i usually read about it before demanding answers.
    Oh I understand, im glad you finally understand the US 1st Amendment inst applicable to the citizens of France.

Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    At first I thought that this it the business of the owner of the store and not the government, but..

I'm not sure I feel sorry for them anymore, read what you sign?

Was a pretty short article, I wonder if it was more to this than just pork and alcohol.
    What I don't understand is the focus on enforcing the terms that they must serve a wide array of food. Is this shop in a remote location and the only one for many miles? I just don't understand what would necessitate this kind of language in an agreement.

What are you talking about?

My argument has never been that it applies but that french law influenced American law therefore they are quite similar in many ways.
    yeah it was, but i can understand the desire to try to play that down now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Halal and Kosher meats should be banned anyways.

What are you talking about?

My argument has never been that it applies but that french law influenced American law therefore they are quite similar in many ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe they learned their lesson and decided that directly targeting specific groups leads to violent backlash?
    Quite similar != Same

This whole revolution happened in France and a big part of it was the separation of church and state, which is pretty much the gist of the first amendment.
    Way after we were a nation.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wonder if this applies in France of today?

Article X – No one may be disturbed for his opinions, even religious ones, provided that their manifestation does not trouble the public order established by the law.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying they do?

I'm saying the french basically came up with the idea for it in the first place and that doing something like targeting certain religious practices goes against one of the core principals of their most defining point in history.

The americans literally took it from the french.

- - - Updated - - -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laïcité
    Except this isn't a separation of church and state issue, according to the courts. This is an issue of "If x wants to operate as a general store, they must provide a,b,c spectrum of food." They failed to comply with that requirement and their privilege to operate as such was revoked. I'm pretty sure businesses that operate as retail/general market stores receive certain benefits/tax cuts. If you're willing to take these perks than you should in return meet the requirements to operate as such.

If they were 'just a halal market' that wasn't advertised as a general store this wouldn't be an issue because then you're operating as a small business owner that has the right to nitpick your specialized products that you sell.
    Last edited by Siraeyou; 2017-12-06 at 06:26 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I don't know how the "general food compliance" works. Is this a situation where this shop not offering pork or wine means members of the community simply won't be able to obtain those items? Is this a matter of general welfare for the community?

I don't know, but as a matter of principle I don't think they should have to sell anything they don't want to sell, but this is France, not America.
    From what I can gather it is a law that is put into place to ensure that a community is not without needs. So some properties needs to be lawfully compliant to only lease to those who would set up a general food store, and not all sorts of specialty stores.

Yeah fuck those stuck up city level governments that have to shove thier bullshit standards on everyone. One store doesn’t sell wine or pork, whhhaaaaaat!? Where else am I a Frenchmen gonna get my wine!? The gutter!?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка

Leave it to Americans to think their laws apply to the whole world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Halal and Kosher meats should be banned anyways.
    Wouldn't that ban beef?