Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Could World Scaling work in Classic?

Similar to how the developers are implementing world scaling into mainland Azeroth on live servers (1-60), do you think the same thing can be applied to the old world of Classic WoW?

Imagine you get to level 40 on classic realms and you get your first 60% riding mount. And you play primarily in the eastern kingdoms. Imagine that you could go to Ashenvale (which was originally a level 15-25 zone) and start the quests in that zone and still get experience like you got from a level 40 quest in the badlands. It would definitely make leveling more enjoyable because you could have many other areas to quest in to get relevant experience and gear, yet the difficulty could still be exactly like vanilla.

Could world scaling work in Classic? I'm sure if it was done right, the mobs and quests would be just as challenging as they were in vanilla anyway.

I must be getting use to this place, I knew it was gonna be Jaylock

7+ Year Old Account
    Even tho it's a Jaylock thread,we all know this topic will end in a battle of "No,it wasn't like this in Vanilla and it wouldn't be Vanilla if this existed" kind of argument.
    But yeah.. //Popcorn.
    You must gain control over your gold or the lack of it will forever control you.

No,it wasn't like this in Vanilla and it wouldn't be Vanilla if this existed.

Deleted
    This entire sub is filled with purists jerking each other off lul. With that being said I wouldn't be against world scaling in Vanilla.

7+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't be vanilla.

I want defias pillagers to murder me with overpowered fireballs between 13-16. Not 40-44.

So no, keep scaling to retail

Sure it would just like:

Achievements
    Karazhan
    Black Temple
    Siege of Orgrimar
    Death of Vrynn
    Warfronts
    etc.

All of those things could exist in a classic vanilla. What Blizzard should really do is change Battle for Azeroth to "Classic Battle for Azeroth with a healthy dose of Vanilla Pudding" that way we all get what we want and are happy.

Next topic, Could Flying mount work in Classic

Biggest issue with this is that warriors would never get past level 15 or so.

It's ok if we add Pandaria in the game. Also perpetual Deathwing wiping random zones. Without these, Classic is doomed to fail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiedzemir View Post
    It's ok if we add Pandaria in the game. Also perpetual Deathwing wiping random zones. Without these, Classic is doomed to fail.
    Why the sarcastic and asinine posting when i'm trying to have a legitimate discussion on world scaling?

I'm not asking for the level cap to be raised, or the difficulty to be reduced. I'm just asking if it would be viable to make zones scale to allow you to level where you want without being penalized for leveling in a grey quest zone.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    No, that's not vanilla.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Why the sarcastic and asinine posting when i'm trying to have a legitimate discussion on world scaling?

I'm not asking for the level cap to be raised, or the difficulty to be reduced. I'm just asking if it would be viable to make zones scale to allow you to level where you want without being penalized for leveling in a grey quest zone.
    Because WoW classic is supposed to be vanilla, these threads keep coming up constantly with people wanting to change something about vanilla. Here's a revelation, if we were to listen to every single post in here wanting to change something they didn't like about vanilla *gasp* It wouldnt be vanilla!

And here's the thing, I probably won't end up even playing WoW classic, it's not my thing. But I know a lot of people who are excited for it and want to play it again. Do you know how fucking disappointing it would if Blizzard ended up releasing it and it's not even close to what it was 12 years ago?

I'm sorry I'm going off on a rant here, but this is so annoying and people just don't understand this.

No, it wouldn't.

The world was severely restricted by travel distance. You didn't get a mount until you were level 40, so areas for leveling up to that level needed to be somewhat close to a main travel hub, of which there weren't many. As an Alliance leveling in Ashenvale was a pain. Leveling in Desolace was just ugh. I couldn't imagine hoofing my way from Stormwind to WPL or EPL just because I could level there at level 30.
    RETH

Deleted
    You high?
    Could it work? Yes
    Do we want it? Fuck no!

Gotta give it to you for most original classic suggestion of the week.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    Next topic, Could Flying mount work in Classic
    You are pure evil!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiedzemir View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

Looking forward to the next Jaylock's creation. I hope another one is coming tomorrow.

Even if they could make it work, why would it be necessary in the first place?
    There already isn't enough quests in each of the zones to out level the zone, and by extension you wont be out leveling most mobs either, except for perhaps the lowest level ones in the zone after you've finished up your leveling there.
    At that point you either don't want to fight them in the first place or if you do it's just to farm something off them making speed killing key.

It's not that it couldn't work, it's that there's no reason for it to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Eveningforest View Post
    Looking forward to the next Jaylock's creation. I hope another one is coming tomorrow.
    ..... if he's not getting banned in the next few hours

Just no /10char

Deleted
    It might save leveling retail because leveling is completely messed up there. Scaling is band-aid for long chain of bad design decisions.

However leveling was fine in WoW before mid-WoTLK. Scaling isn't needed in Classic.