Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    There is a finite number of licenses the author can sale. Each unauthorized use takes one license from the owner. So it is stealing, plain and simple.
    Don't you see the difference between low-quality analog VHS copy and video piracy?
    Sounds semantical to me, but no i don't see the difference, copy write infringement doesn't care about the quality of what your pirating its that you've pirated it at all.

so if i make a game and i think its going to sell 10k copies and then those sell out in the first week, I can't sell any more copies of my game, right ok then......? bullshit. you can sell as many copies of something as you are able to sell, if your game is selling, you can use your funds to improve whatever bullshit licensing deal you originally struck.

again to steal something means to deprive the owner of that thing, when you copy something, you haven't removed anything, they still have their licences, you didn't deduct one because you didn't legitimately purchase one. you didn't factor into the licences at all. so if the software can only be sold 10k times, and all 10k sold and you pirate 1, your 1 makes it the 10001st copy. not any of the original 10k.

I think piracy in gaming is becoming substantially less of a problem, most of the best games require you to buy them to get the full experience. most developers are supporting their games longer to the point where its largely a non-issue, you want a good game then you gotta pay for it anyway, pirating a good game is likely to leave you with missing portions of the game, it becomes increasingly harder to get updates, and is generally not worth the effort over just buying it.

the issue i have is that if i pirate something, i don't sell it, or make a profit from it, or even seed it. some older games i've seeded that are harder to get a hold of or, abandonware, I have an issue with youtube, i like youtube most of the music i listen to is on there. but thats the problem, so long as that big fucking double standard on copywrite infringement exists for everyone to take advantage of it makes it hard to take the whole thing seriously. get rid of youtube, then i might take it seriously, right now its just a joke. just double standards. the nature of a web browser caching content, your computer breaks copy write infringement, inherently without you doing anything to assist it, but these are the double standards the 'well everyone else does it so it doesn't matter'. once ppl make it clear and actually do something about it rather than just sit on some sort of moral high horse then meh i won't hold me breath. again i'm not condoning it or, arguing about entitlement or what is morally/ethically right or wrong i'm just saying that its funny how much ppl look the other way when it suits them.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-12-20 at 08:05 PM.

What would happen if everyone torrented every time torrenting was an option for something. No one ever bought a movie, or game again.

The entertainment industry would suffer immensely. Hollywood makes cool movies because they make revenue/profit. If NO ONE buys the movie (we ALL just torrent) their revenue is ZERO, and their profit is NEGATIVE.

If you are torrenting, you are part of the problem. You should pay for your digital media items, or accept that you cannot have it.

Deleted
    It seems to me that the word piracy is being used incorrectly here.

Somebody "stole" something from the original creators and has provided a way for others to view this stolen good without actually possessing the copy.

As such, this is strikingly similar to watching a movie that you did not buy with a friend in his house, just on a global scale. While I understand that the loss of money is the major issue here, we must understand that the people who choose to watch these things are not the primary issue while they encourage the thieves in the first place, they have nothing to do with the theft.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I don't touch your work, I just copy it for personal use. Tell me why I should not be doing it, without using abstract concepts such as "right", "law", etc
    because it results in the creator of the work missing out on recovering the cost of creating it in the first place.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    because it results in the creator of the work missing out on recovering the cost of creating it in the first place.
    Not my problem. If they want to recover the cost - they shouldn't have made it in the first place. Plus they can still sell their work, I'm not stopping them.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Growel View Post
    What would happen if everyone torrented every time torrenting was an option for something. No one ever bought a movie, or game again.

The entertainment industry would suffer immensely. Hollywood makes cool movies because they make revenue/profit. If NO ONE buys the movie (we ALL just torrent) their revenue is ZERO, and their profit is NEGATIVE.

If you are torrenting, you are part of the problem. You should pay for your digital media items, or accept that you cannot have it.
    Problem is "they" are refusing to sell the movie to me. Yet. So how can it in any way be a financial loss for them if they are not even trying to sell it to me?

Global release on everything is the only solution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, if all the movies had a global digital release on the day of theater release - I would've never torrented any of them. But since it's not the case I ALWAYS torrent them. Hitting where it hurts.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

The problem with piracy is that the companies think they are loosing the money that they "could" have made if you instead bought the product, and they see that as stealing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badlanguage View Post
    The problem with piracy is that the companies think they are loosing the money that they "could" have made if you instead bought the product, and they see that as stealing.
    Only they are the reason I pirate

10+ Year Old Account
    Realistically, people tend to end up buying products that they like regardless. The only people losing out are the people making shitty products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Realistically, people tend to end up buying products that they like regardless. The only people losing out are the people making shitty products.
    Tell that to these companies that are crying about piracy ruining their profit margins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell that to these companies that are crying about piracy ruining their profit margins.
    I already tell people defending those companies "get good".
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

It's very telling, though, that they're not concerned with the potential money the consumer could be making in exchange for information surrounding their lives. I've never pirated a game or a movie myself, though. I only buy what I know I'll enjoy and luckily I have a pretty good instinct for that.