Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Games start back tomorrow, 7PM EST.

Might see the return of xQc and the debut of aKm, plus Geguri for Shanghai and some of Seoul's new players. Will be an interesting week. Also, they standardized times for matches so it will make it a little easier to follow/watch live.

All weekday games start at 7, weekend at 4, and all championships will get pushed to Sundays so that we don't have to watch guys fatigued af playing for 7 hours until the sun rises again.

- - - Updated - - -

Seoul looking more dominant than Stage 1. Dallas is looking insane with aKm and Rascal. Gotta be honest, Taimou didn't look amazing on Winston compared to xQc but I imagine his calling helped them more to get back in the game. I think if they can get xQc calmed down to do that maybe they transition calling to Custa or aKm/rascal...or maybe xQc is just there to help Taimou become a tank god now. Idk.

Either way, it was nice to see them get a win but it feels bad to see Seagull and xQc on the bench. Will be curious how Taimou holds up against better tank teams, because Shanghai won't bring much until their new players get on board.
    BAD WOLF

Didnt have time to watch, just checking in on work, Dallas with Taimou on Winston/Rein, what the heck?!

The new starting times are worse for Europeans, now i can only watch 1, maybe 2 games a week because they beginso late, it was 3-4 before
    Last edited by iddqd; 2018-02-22 at 07:22 AM.

Really enjoying this map pool actually, no Junkertown is fantastic.

Taimou playing tank isn't as new and makes some sense, he's been pretty open that he's not as confident in his hitscan at the moment and aKm/Rascal can cover that quite well, wonder how long it's going to be a thing, they have some serious flexibility right now.

Dragons looked better than expected despite losing, solid tank play.

Less Mercy also makes a massive difference in viewability, games feel 10 times as "clean" to spectate now.

Woohoo, Outlaws (the team my gf is cheering for) beats London 3:2 and Bani is replaced by Boink, the "no Mercy" meta reigns!

Concerning this, Boston Uprisings Lucio/Zen in Defense was confusing for me (hint: Philly won that round), how do you want to top the top mobile tanks with this combination?!

Outlaws are really, really good.

Best western team at the moment, hope they keep it up.

Super strong tank line, until we see more of FCTFCTN and xQc I'd say Muma is easily the best western Winston right now, Linkzr is incredible, good lineup overall.
    Last edited by Woobels; 2018-02-23 at 10:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Outlaws are really, really good.

Best western team at the moment, hope they keep it up.

Super strong tank line, until we see more of FCTFCTN and xQc I'd say Muma is easily the best western Winston right now, Linkzr is incredible, good lineup overall.
    Philadelphia is better than Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Yeah, maybe I should have said "wise investment" really. Sure, esports quickly grew from niche tournaments to global phenomenon, but the same line about "give it 5-10-15 years".. I've heard it since what, 2005 maybe. It grew a lot, but I don't think it will phase out traditional sports in my active life time (next 30-40 years) at least, as much as I believe in the idea of esports themselves. The day I see a game played and watched in a regular city pub is the day I will be sure of their adoption. Until then, it stays a niche market, global, but niche.
    There's a few issues that esports have yet to overcome that kinda keep that "give it 5 - 15 years" line relevant. General lack of player/team storylines (i.e. rivalries and whatnot) for people to get invested in is one of the bigger issues that continues to remain while the idea of more concrete leagues have been addressed more and more over the past few years. Perception of esports by the general public (the jab about the players being 20-something year old basement virgins crops up constantly) is likely to be the biggest hurdle and one not really quickly cleared.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    xQc is back and Dallas is looking fucking awesome. Their dive is now strong as shit with Mickie on D.Va and aKm destroying everyone.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Projectmars View Post
    There's a few issues that esports have yet to overcome that kinda keep that "give it 5 - 15 years" line relevant. General lack of player/team storylines (i.e. rivalries and whatnot) for people to get invested in is one of the bigger issues that continues to remain while the idea of more concrete leagues have been addressed more and more over the past few years. Perception of esports by the general public (the jab about the players being 20-something year old basement virgins crops up constantly) is likely to be the biggest hurdle and one not really quickly cleared.
    Actually, in my opinion, the biggest thing hurting esports is the flux. 3 years ago, esports could mean playing well different games than today, or than it will in 5 years. At least it has started to crystallize into MOBA, FPS, RTS (dead ). But who's to say that a new genre won't pop up in the next 10 years that changes what people want to play and watch?

Add on top of that there are constant changes being made to the games being played, because they need to be kept interesting for general audience, and it's really not optimal for long term competitive scene. Imagine if the association changed the size of the playing field or ball weight or size of the goalposts every month in soccer. Sports mastery is less about exploration (adaptability) and more about exploitation (using experience and learnt knowledge), but so far, esports is too much about adaptability to changes.

The closest that comes to stability is CS:GO. But it's starting to show age, and correct me if I'm wrong, the viewer rates for that game are dropping. But even there they add new maps and remaster old maps, which just changes the experience, both viewer's and player's.

In short, there is no standard for "What is esports" other than "playing computer games competitively", which is currently too broad.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Actually, in my opinion, the biggest thing hurting esports is the flux. 3 years ago, esports could mean playing well different games than today, or than it will in 5 years. At least it has started to crystallize into MOBA, FPS, RTS (dead ). But who's to say that a new genre won't pop up in the next 10 years that changes what people want to play and watch?

Add on top of that there are constant changes being made to the games being played, because they need to be kept interesting for general audience, and it's really not optimal for long term competitive scene. Imagine if the association changed the size of the playing field or ball weight or size of the goalposts every month in soccer. Sports mastery is less about exploration (adaptability) and more about exploitation (using experience and learnt knowledge), but so far, esports is too much about adaptability to changes.

The closest that comes to stability is CS:GO. But it's starting to show age, and correct me if I'm wrong, the viewer rates for that game are dropping. But even there they add new maps and remaster old maps, which just changes the experience, both viewer's and player's.

In short, there is no standard for "What is esports" other than "playing computer games competitively", which is currently too broad.
    Thank god, I like watching competitive games but I despise games that are made from scratch to be "esports"

Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Thank god, I like watching competitive games but I despise games that are made from scratch to be "esports"
    To add to that, saying you are an esports player can mean anything from "I play rng fest hearthstone where I lose 45% games because of luck even if I'm better" to "Me and my team practice 12 hours a day in Overwatch / CS:GO to prepare for tournaments which we attend". It's not even in the same league.

If there ever was something like an olympic esport, I would want it to be akin to decathlon in athletics. Show true mastery in beating your opponents regardless of the game, show superior intellect and reaction time and skill. Hard to say what those would be, but it's not hard to come up with category candidates, like RTS, FPS, Card game, puzzle solving game, etc. Easier to do it with team games, 5v5 format is pretty standard, so let's say a tournament where you have to play RTS, FPS and MOBA games to win.

That, to me, would be showing true mastery of "esport".

I'd be fine with it if individual games just kept doing there thing, broad appeal doesn't really matter to me as long as I think the game is fun to watch at a high level.

FGC will forever be the closest to my heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hot damn Philly is looking good with the addition of Eqo! 2-0 this week and 8-0 in maps.

The next couple weeks will be rough for them, however. They remain the only team to not have played Seoul yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    didnt mayhem get dafran? why didnt they play him >_____>

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    didnt mayhem get dafran? why didnt they play him >_____>
    They are not required to play everyone.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

Philly is really raising the stakes, they beat Houston 3:2, impressive...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    They are not required to play everyone.
    pogchamp tho

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
    Philadelphia is better than Houston.
    Requoting this. WHAT A MATCH between Houston and Philly last night. It has the potential to be the match of the season.

If you didn't watch it, it is highly recommended to go watch the VOD.

And i thought, my team, Dallas Fuel, would improve in P2... now they lost 3-1 to LA Valiant... oh my -.-

Dallas seems one dimensional and I don't really get why they're not playing Rascal more, they're getting a Korean tank soon so maybe that'll help.
    Last edited by Woobels; 2018-03-03 at 11:21 AM.