Poll: Do you now or have you ever trained in any Martial or MMA?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

10+ Year Old Account

Do you now or have you ever trained in any Martial or MMA?

I think I mentioned before first kind of fighting I ever learned to do was boxing, it really wasn't much by choice but Karate was like $40 a month boxing was $12, I was annoyed by that fact, kind of at first felt cheated I would never learn anything cool, but looking back I am glad I learned to box first, because it allowed me to learn things about how to take a hit and the physics of how to throw a punch and the dynamics boxing. I was early teens lasted about a couple of years until National Karate had a open enrollment with a contract and one of those cool Gees haha

Anyways it kind of sucked, but I did get a Yellow belt before my 3 month Contract expired, but since then the only other Martial Art I did was KickBoxing, which seemed like a natural progression, but learning to incorporate how to center my weight and movement took getting used to.

Kind of always though about going back and Training in a more Traditional form, but never got around to it, so my question is what Martial Arts or MMA as it's coined in some disciplines, have you followed or trained for?

I think some that I have been kind of Interested in have been:

Jeet Kune Do
    Wing Chun
    Karate
    Chun Kuk Do (Chuck Norris) Yep, sounds weird to me too.

If you followed any of the above what has been your experience or even if you haven't do you compete and how and where do you train?

Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-12-07 at 03:57 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Thai boxing.

22 fights. 15 win 5 draw and 2 losses.

Quit because my trainer moved to another town and i did not want to train under any other coach/school.

It is 15 years that i quitted.

I remember my first match (that i won) where my trainer came to me before the fight and asked me if i was nervous. I said yes. He answered that it was normal and he said that every fighter is nervous before a fight, even fighters who had done 100 fights and even world champions. I never forget about that.
    Last edited by mmoc602e930669; 2017-12-07 at 07:51 PM.

I did Karate when I was younger, but the school I went to mostly focused on "self defense" and grappling. Ironically, the self defense was useful when someone tried to bully me freshman year in highschool. Dislocated his shoulder with a lock, never got picked on by anyone again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to do Karate as a kid. However I have a mild haemophilia and my doctors made huge deal out of it, so unfortunately I had to stop.

On the other hand my father used to do Taekwondo and he kept showing me flashy kicks at home. Then in my teenage years I kept sparring with friends who did Muay Thai and showed me a few tricks too.

For some reason I am quick learner when it comes to martial arts, shame I can't really do it because of my condition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I think I mentioned before first kind of fighting I ever learned to do was boxing, it really wasn't much by choice but Karate was like $40 a month boxing was $12, I was annoyed by that fact, kind of at first felt cheated I would never learn anything cool, but looking back I am glad I learned to box first, because it allowed me to learn things about how to take a hit and the physics of how to throw a punch and the dynamics boxing. I was early teens lasted about a couple of years until National Karate had a open enrollment with a contract and one of those cool Gees haha

Anyways it kind of sucked, but I did get a Yellow belt before my 3 month Contract expired, but since then the only other Martial Art I did was KickBoxing, which seemed like a natural progression, but learning to incorporate how to center my weight and movement took getting used to.

Kind of always though about going back and Training in a more Traditional form, but never got around to it, so my question is what Martial Arts or MMA as it's coined in some disciplines, have you followed or trained for?

I think some that I have been kind of Interested in have been:

Jeet Kune Do
    Wing Chun
    Karate
    Chun Kuk Do (Chuck Norris) Yep, sounds weird to me too.

If you followed any of the above what has been your experience or even if you haven't do you compete and how and where do you train?

I did karate when I was 5.

I'd love to take some mma classes, but I want someone to spar with for fun/exercise, not some roided bro who just wants to kick my ass because he's raging.

did some Taekwondo & Hapkido for a little bit growing up. stopped at Red Belt. Was more into hockey/tennis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did Tae Kwon Do when I was a teenager. Stopped going due to depression/boredom.

About 2 years ago I started learning Jiu Jitsu and absolutely fell in love. It started out in the guys garage, until they managed to get a place in town and turned it into a full-on MMA gym. Stuck with it for over a year until I started experiencing breathing problems (which ended up being cancer, yay >_>).

Once I finish my chemo I'm going back. I miss rolling and sparring. It's so invigorating.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    I did karate when I was 5.

I'd love to take some mma classes, but I want someone to spar with for fun/exercise, not some roided bro who just wants to kick my ass because he's raging.
    If you find a legit gym, I'm willing to bet that you'll find people of the same mindset. Most people are like you, believe it or not.

In my late teens/early 20s I did Shotokan Karate, as a child I did some other form of Karate that I can't remember that had a bit more contact. The first time I stopped after I got disqualified for drawing blood in a competition, I cried all the way home and then we went on holidays to spain and I never went back after that, too salty. The second time I did it for a while and did a few belts, no competitions and then work got in the way and I never went back.

I always got the feeling that it was more of a social activity where I did some cardio and got flexible, rather than self defense. Doing Katas and point sparring wasn't very productive use of time for the point of self defense, but at least the technique in terms of movement of each joint to perform moves etc was taught well to stop you snapping your shit up out of ignorance.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

15+ Year Old Account
    I trained in Ed Parker Kenpo (IKKA) during my teen years.

Was fascinated by martial arts like any kid and read many books and practiced alot with friends. As I got older this was reinforced due to my brother being a mountain of a man at 6'4" 240 lbs of bad attitude. He was an unstable shithead and we fought alot. I trained hard in Kenpo but stopped a bit after green belt I think it was. I was really getting into Jeet Kune Do and realized that I too was crystalized in form and would always respond as how I was trained. Even till this day I will occasionally get in the Kenpo stance at time in a moment of not thinking. One of my good friends (who trained in taekwondo) and I would practice different Jeet Kune Do drills together. We did this for a few years. We would spar alot together as well. It was from this point until this day that I just shadowbox every now and then to ensure I am moving fluidly and can strike with my left and right with equal coordination.
    I am right-handed but lead south paw. I prefer powerful strikes in succession with my right lead and if it goes further, typically square shoulders close to my opponent where I flurry with left and right strikes to the body and elbows to the face. This is both offensive and defensive as the strikes are hybrid parries of sort. Very hard to defend against and only dangerous when an opponent is much bigger and stronger. My above style/technique evolved out of Bruce Lee's statement that really changed me:

“Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life! Do not be concerned with escaping safely- lay your life before him!!”

You have to detach to a point, you just get in there and trust your tenacity and that your awareness to change as the fight evolves.

But, ultimately combat is always changing and opponent styles are always different. Jeet Kune Do teaches you to flow like water, box a fighter, fight a boxer.
    Can't allow yourself to be tied to a template/style in too rigid a way. And this is VERY difficult for traditional martial artists.
    Last edited by Animalhouse; 2017-12-07 at 09:57 PM.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

I'm a retired professional fighter, and international level Judo player. Naturally, before MMA, much of my background was in Judo, but I also played Sambo, Brazilian JiuJitsu, Freestyle and Catch Wrestling, Kyokushin and some Muai Thai. I was a strawweight for most of my career.

There are some things I'd advise people about training whatever about. You have to remember that there isn't a lot of oversight in terms of who is teaching combat sports, so you need to make sure you're getting your money's worth. In general, you really want a coach, or set of coaches that are going to push you with a program that isn't too mickey mouse. You also don't want to find yourself in a 'fighter mill', where the the gym's only purpose is to build pro fighters, and to find fodder for those fighters to beat up on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I'm a retired professional fighter, and international level Judo player. Naturally, before MMA, much of my background was in Judo, but I also played Sambo, Brazilian JiuJitsu, Freestyle and Catch Wrestling, Kyokushin and some Muai Thai. I was a strawweight for most of my career.

There are some things I'd advise people about training whatever about. You have to remember that there isn't a lot of oversight in terms of who is teaching combat sports, so you need to make sure you're getting your money's worth. In general, you really want a coach, or set of coaches that are going to push you with a program that isn't too mickey mouse. You also don't want to find yourself in a 'fighter mill', where the the gym's only purpose is to build pro fighters, and to find fodder for those fighters to beat up on.
    Wow amazing history man, that is a lot more than I have ever done, and I am guessing most, I really appreciate the words too Yeah I have to say from my own experience getting trained was frustrating. Boxing was cheaper to learn, but I didn't have the respect for it the way I should have starting out.

Everything else just seemd more exoitc, it wasn't until after I switched up that I recognized how frustrating it was to find the right teacher. I've always been respectful, but I never found the mock punching, and average sparing when I first tried Karate helpful, I mean I get it now meaning that it has to do with exercising your memory muscles.

But being young, and taking boxing, I was so much more use to centering and knowing how to shift my weight into a punch, block and move. In boxing it was always instant, sure there was sparing, but you got hit, and you had to respond.

Later with Kickboxing it felt honestly like starting all over again, I had some basics, but my balance was all wrong, my centering felt awkward. But Boxing and Kickboxing I loved for understanding and learning the physics, separating what I imagined and what happens.

Now with the Brazilian JuJitsu, I will admit I do find it fascinating. As for the wrestling or like but I don't know I might be too old for that and not being as able to bounce back as quickly as late 30s as early 20's however considering guys like the Gracies LOL who trained up until the 50s, 60s and what not, I am sure those guys would probably kick my ass for being way too weak haha!
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Boxing for a bit.
    You cared enough to post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did shotokan karate when I was a kid, quit after some years, and got back to it in 2011. Sadly, moving around recently has prevented me from continuing.

What you get out of Karate depends on your own goals and the mentality of your dojo/sensei. If he's competition oriented, you'll probably mostly train for that sort of thing, which doesn't really help much with self-defense. Real fighting isn't bouncing around and jumping in for a quick feeble strike.

If your sensei is more.....traditional, then you'll probably actually learn how to defend yourself.

I did Aikido when I was younger, though our sensei was also a black belt in taekwondo and did boxing as well. So the style he taught was a blending of all three with the focus on aikido.

That was fun and i miss it. Still remember one time when our sensei was demoing a move and he asked me to strike him and I got carried away and forgot to pull the blow. Boy did I regret that mistake, I was his demo partner for the rest of the evening.

I did karate for a while when I was younger at school. I got a orange belt eventually, not sure what that means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Judo up to brown belt in my junger years with focus on real life self defense. Had to stop after an incident during a competition where i popped the other girls shoulder out of the socket.

If your sensei is more.....traditional, then you'll probably actually learn how to defend yourself.
    This ! But in Judo its the other way around. In my case it was a real bad Idea to let my class compete with the tournament girls. Half of the other dojos roster got more or less injuried that day. I did just the icing on the cake.

My parents were both experienced in Tang Soo Do by the time I was born. And we all learned starting at 8, and I've been refining it ever since. We could have gone through the belt program but according to my parents-they had to get prints taken up getting their Black Belts...I guess my folks wanted us to keep a trick up our sleeves that was off the record.
    Before I entered the service, I took up Krav Maga to cover the grappling blindspot because TSD has a noticeable lack of ground game. Get kicked off your feet and...you're done.

I"ve sparred, and I've scrapped a good deal in service. Never as clean as practice, but it did pay off. I've always dreaded fighting people with knives, still do even with training.

10+ Year Old Account
    I went to gladiator school like every other kid raised in the ghetto, only difference is you gotta have them hands and oh boy do I have em. But no I don't know any type of martial style of fighting but it didn't stop me from making my enemy's face beat up my hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did Thai Boxing but not for long. I started going with my mate which was sort of a motivator because we were both new and it was someone I knew there, but quite quickly he turned out to be all talk and stopped going which didn't bother me that much to start with but as time went on I was the newest there and everyone else was quite experienced, so when we were sparring it was quite boring and frustrating for me because obviously my punches and kicks were a lot more telegraphed than everyone else's and I didn't feel like I was progressing. In the end I got tired of it and stopped going, went back a about a month later but didn't respark my interest so haven't been since.

Would love to go back really but it's finding the time with gym and full time work, maybe something for the future.