Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

France: Court orders halal supermarket to close because it does not sell pork or wine

France: Court orders halal supermarket in Paris to close because it does not sell pork or wine

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...92316.html?amp

France has ordered a halal supermarket in Paris to close because it does not sell pork or wine.

The Good Price mini-market in Colombes did not comply with the conditions of its lease, which stated the shop must act as a "general food store," the Court of Nanterre ruled.

The local authority argued members of the local community were not being served properly because the shop did not sell pork or alcohol products.

A bailiff's report said the store almost exclusively stocked halal products.

His lawyer argued alcohol "is not part of the general diet" and the store had no obligations to sell it as it was only a complement to food.

The court said the products the shop stocked were "restrictive and did not fit the broad concept of general good."

It ordered the termination of the store's lease and ordered the eviction of the tenants.

The manager was ordered to pay €4,000 to the local authority in legal costs.

I shall keep an eye in this thread. Should be interesting

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

It's a violation of their First Amendment rights.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    wonder how many gay cake enforcers will say this is a travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

You are aware this is France not America?
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

This is in France not Murica

10+ Year Old Account

Turns out France is not a part of the US.

sounds like he just needs to stock some cheap box wine, and those pig ears for dogs. Would never be out of stock since no one would by that shit anyways.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Imagine being this illiberal.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Y'all talking about this not being America like the French and their revolution weren't a big part of American culture and history.
    Hubcap quoted the US 1st amendment, which in no shape or form is going to applied to the citizens of France, no matter how much support they gave the US in the revolutionary war.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Deleted
    Good. That's all I'll say.

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand I don't see the problem with a specialty shop that focuses on halal foods, and on the other the shop owners probably should have clarified their intentions before they signed the lease. It is kind of their own fault.

That being said I'm also not sure how you can really say they are not a general food store just because they don't carry two products in particular. Sure, those are common things for people to eat/drink, but does every store even general ones carry every possible product in existence? Of course not.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do realize parts of the US was coloinised by the French right?
    Oh really? I didn't know that. You have educated me this day....

10+ Year Old Account
    His lawyer argued alcohol "is not part of the general diet"...
    Has his lawyer never been to France?

Except you know the fact that the constitution itself was at least somewhat influenced by the ideologies of French revolutionaries.
    Still not going to change the fact that the american 1st amendment is not applicable to the citizens of France.

Deleted
    Should have chosen to be a specialty store instead it seems, but I have a suspicion that there are different laws in regards to those so that is likely where the issue lies with that.

US law applies in France?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.

So the US first amendment works in France too?

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand I don't see the problem with a specialty shop that focuses on halal foods, and on the other the shop owners probably should have clarified their intentions before they signed the lease. It is kind of their own fault.

That being said I'm also not sure how you can really say they are not a general food store just because they don't carry two products in particular. Sure, those are common things for people to eat/drink, but does every store even general ones carry every possible product in existence? Of course not.
    Pretty much this. I think this just push back against Muslims in Europe. Guess the French are finally waking up and taking action, but not sure this is really the bast way to do it. Way more important shit to worry about than whether some Muslims are selling pork and wine in their store.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic?

I mean there is a reason many people in New Orleans speak a french patois

- - - Updated - - -

Well I mean plenty of french people died for the state and church to be separate but lets ignore that because they never got to write it down eh.
    Hahah you really being obtuse bro, it doesn't matter how much you flail about, the laws of one country do not govern others, at this point i think you are intentionally being stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic?

I mean there is a reason many people in New Orleans speak a french patois
    It was indeed sarcasm.