Poll: would you?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Would you still play WoW if WoW had lootboxes?

Greetings champions, good to see you all!

With the lootbox controversy surrounding almost every new game, I'd like to ask you:

Would you still play WoW if it had lootboxes?

I'll create a poll with some options. Feel free to express why would you play or abandon the game.

WoW already has. Sort of. Everything you do in-game is for the chance of aquiring a new, shiny item. Same concept in a different packaging.

That'd be great. I don't mind spending thousands to get the best gear. Fuck raiding and progression.

Only if it's not for actual money and it doesn't give player power. Otherwise I would stop instantly. I am done with them.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    WoW already has. Sort of. Everything you do in-game is for the chance of aquiring a new, shiny item. Same concept in a different packaging.
    Sure, as with any MMO! But let's talk about paid lootboxes, like in OW, SWBF2, etc.

Short answer, no I wouldn't.
    Long answer, yes I would, WoW will have Classic servers so there is no reason to abandon the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming SWTOR/overwatch where these boxes contain otherwise exclusive cosmetics and cannot be obtained quickly in-game, if at all. Also assuming blizzard dumped the bulk of their creativity behind RNG 2.99USD paywalls. Then no, I would quit and never look back
    Wrath baby and proud of it

Deleted
    I was never bothered by transmog stuff so if it's cosmetic loot boxes it wouldn't bother me.

Although now I think about it, if the lootboxes had actual gear in them it wouldn't bother me either. I don't pvp unless I am forced to and I've never been bothered by how other people obtain their gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Sure if they dropped the subscription model to compensate and they were only cosmetic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Sure if they dropped the subscription model to compensate and they were only cosmetic.
    This. But a sub and lootboxes? No way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no objection to cosmetic loot boxes. HotS handles it perfectly. Nothing you get in a loot box, for better or for worse, affects gameplay. On top of that, they hand loot boxes out like candy. Easily earned in-game currency means you don't have to spend $$$ to get any of the heroes, which means the game can be played in it's entirety without spending a penny on it. Only cosmetic things cost money. And I gladly support THAT model of boxes.

It's when companies start putting things that affect gameplay in the boxes (P2W) that it's an issue. Or when they lock game progression behind such massive walls that the only realistic option is to give them money to make it easier. I heard one guy did the math to earn everything in Battlefront II and it totaled near 5K hours of grinding. They designed the game around selling loot boxes to be able to complete it, which was it's fatal flaw. Piss ass game design deserves piss ass treatment.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly, I couldn't pick two options.

Yes, only if they're just cosmetics, and only if you can earn them in-game as well.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Nope. I have no problem paying for Mounts/Pets via the store (even better now that you can do it with gold via WoW Tokens). But if they add 'random loot crates' to get things, then I will step away. I abhor that form of gambling and would much rather just buy things that I want.

If WoW was FREE-to-PLAY, then I would have more tolerance. But I pay a monthly subscription fee, so Lootboxes need to stay away.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean tokens are kinda like loot boxes. Buy tokens > sell tokens > give guilds gold for runs to get gear.

Honestly, as long as loot boxes in games only give types of cosmetic items I really don't care if they have them.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I rather just see cosmetics that are not locked behind RNG-boxes, either for in-game currency or shop, but not exclusive.

If they do add transmog armors to loot boxes, make it ensembles, and not 1-piece of gear out of hundreds of sets/gear slots.

Overwatch/HotS skins don't sell you just a 1/12th skin either. Either full armor or not at all.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-12-07 at 02:38 PM.

I'd probably find something else to play especially if they made regular gear boring to encourage you to buy them.

10+ Year Old Account
    That would be the one thing that would make me quit WoW and maybe even not play Blizzard games ever again. Especially as I am already paying a subscription, Lootboxes and Subscription would be EA levels of practice and I stopped buying anything EA related 5 years ago lol

It would really break my heart if Blizzard went the way of EA with P2W, gambling bullshit, Blizzard, to me, are still one of the better companies in my eyes, at least in the Triple A market. To see them add micro-transactions and gambling with loot boxers, especially if it was P2W, on a subscription model would be the death of Blizzard to me
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

15+ Year Old Account
    What the h*ck do you think the caches are?

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    That would be the one thing that would make me quit WoW and maybe even not play Blizzard games ever again. Especially as I am already paying a subscription, Lootboxes and Subscription would be EA levels of practice and I stopped buying anything EA related 5 years ago lol

It would really break my heart if Blizzard went the way of EA with P2W, gambling bullshit, Blizzard, to me, are still one of the better companies in my eyes, at least in the Triple A market. To see them add micro-transactions and gambling with loot boxers, especially if it was P2W, on a subscription model would be the death of Blizzard to me
    My dear blizzard posts are funny. Guess who started this modern lootbox craze? Guess who put macro transactions in a sub mmo? Rmah in an action rpg?
    Last edited by Video Games; 2017-12-07 at 04:02 PM.

Yeah sure, because the Diablo III real money auction house was a real success.

Yes, if they're cosmetic AND can be earned in-game as well, in fact depending on how they are implemented (if there is an extra art team they hire only to create extra content for these $$ boxes that I can farm myself through hard work) I'd be approving of the system, since it would mean an increase in cosmetic options without decrease to my wallet, and more importantly one more thing for casuals like me to look forward, given that LFR doesn't keep us hooked for months on end.

If it's anything else (Useful items drop/ Unique items/cosmetics/allied races drop that you can't get in another way), my intention would be to unsub for good.

Honestly, one of the things that keeps HotS exciting for me is unlocking new skins for free. Although I do understand some people's worries about lacking self-control and being exploited by bussinesses.