Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Exclamation Rift goes P2W in a paid expansion - Boycott the new caches and packs

EDIT: We've achieved a lot of progress. The intel caches are being removed from the store and re-evaluated:

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...off-store.html

Several new packs and store items were released on the store today. T2 accessories were made available through Vostigar Commander Jewelry Boxes, available from the Uttila vendor for 15k captured intel. These accessories have suffixes (does anyone like RNG suffixes?), similar to all other raid gear, and require a further 40k intel to upgrade.

Captured Intel is now also available for credits and real money.

Caches of 1k, 5k and 20k intel are on the Rift store for credits. The new $99 pack and $250 pack also come with 1x20k and 5x20k captured intel caches respectively. That's right. A top tier currency, and by extension, top tier raid gear, is now sold for real money. Instead of spending 10 hours a week grinding zone events, you too, can now have top tier accessories for the low low price of 10500 credits a week! It amazes me that Trion had the guts to release such a blatantly pay to win update so soon after the EA Battlefront 2 controversy.

The prices are also pretty ridiculous. $250 buys you 20 months of WoW plus the game itself. 10500 credits is over $50 or the price of some AAA games. Of course, some shrills will come and say that no one would buy them at those prices or that you can always buy REX with platinum, but pay to win is pay to win regardless of the price, and such high prices just stratifies the playerbase even more.

We need to speak with our wallets, and not pay in to this crap. Don't let your need to get ahead or save time get the better of you. Don't buy these P2W caches or the new packs. No matter how people criticize them, Trion will only make more if people keep spending. Speak with your wallets and boycott!
    Last edited by Darkdaemon; 2017-12-09 at 10:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly thought Rift had disappeared...
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

To be fair it's been pay to win/pay for advantage when they started selling raid gear.

Not surprised they are doing this with captured intel.

It's on it's last legs. This $250 pack feels like one last cash grab. Trion's pretty much abandoned the majority of the playerbase to squeeze every last drop it can from whales. Instead of building player trust, balancing the game, or maintaining/growing a long term playerbase, Rift gets patches like these.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    To be fair it's been pay to win/pay for advantage when they started selling raid gear.

Not surprised they are doing this with captured intel.
    I disagree. There's a big difference between selling old raid gear for cash and selling the current tier raid gear for cash. Most people in NMT or SL didn't have much issue with T1 gear on the rift store for credits when raiders were mostly finishing up T2. One is pay to catch up and the other is pay to advance further and faster than actual raiders.

I'm sure some shrill like Slipmat or Wackywoo will soon come to enlighten us on how it's not actually pay to win, because people that don't spend those credits can still eventually get gear through grinding zone events for ten hours a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdaemon View Post
    It's on it's last legs. This $250 pack feels like one last cash grab. Trion's pretty much abandoned the majority of the playerbase to squeeze every last drop it can from whales. Instead of building player trust, balancing the game, or maintaining/growing a long term playerbase, Rift gets patches like these.

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree. There's a big difference between selling old raid gear for cash and selling the current tier raid gear for cash. Most people in NMT or SL didn't have much issue with T1 gear on the rift store for credits when raiders were mostly finishing up T2. One is pay to catch up and the other is pay to advance further and faster than actual raiders.

I'm sure some shrill like Slipmat or Wackywoo will soon come to enlighten us on how it's not actually pay to win, because people that don't spend those credits can still eventually get gear through grinding zone events for ten hours a week.
    Let's not start going after people mate.

That's why I said advantage as well. If you can buy gear that can get you into a current raid it's an advantage.

And hate to tell you but they haven't cared about the game since Nightmare Tide.

I'm not even surprised they've done this.

Although the expansion was only initially paid. It went back to F2P.

But I still feel bad for those that paid because they were unable to get refunds on this.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-12-07 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdaemon View Post
    Several new packs and store items were released on the store today. T2 accessories were made available through Vostigar Commander Jewelry Boxes, available from the Uttila vendor for 15k captured intel. These accessories have suffixes (does anyone like RNG suffixes?), similar to all other raid gear, and require a further 40k intel to upgrade.

Captured Intel is now also available for credits and real money.

Caches of 1k, 5k and 20k intel are on the Rift store for credits. The new $99 pack and $250 pack also come with 1x20k and 5x20k captured intel caches respectively. That's right. A top tier currency, and by extension, top tier raid gear, is now sold for real money. Instead of spending 10 hours a week grinding zone events, you too, can now have top tier accessories for the low low price of 10500 credits a week! It amazes me that Trion had the guts to release such a blatantly pay to win update so soon after the EA Battlefront 2 controversy.

The prices are also pretty ridiculous. $250 buys you 20 months of WoW plus the game itself. 10500 credits is over $50 or the price of some AAA games. Of course, some shrills will come and say that no one would buy them at those prices or that you can always buy REX with platinum, but pay to win is pay to win regardless of the price, and such high prices just stratifies the playerbase even more.

We need to speak with our wallets, and not pay in to this crap. Don't let your need to get ahead or save time get the better of you. Don't buy these P2W caches or the new packs. No matter how people criticize them, Trion will only make more if people keep spending. Speak with your wallets and boycott!
    Wait.. this game is even still around?

Deleted
    Nobody is forcing you to buy anything.

When Ferrari releases a new car do you cry foul because of the price? Or do you choose not to buy it and continue to go about your day?

Quote Originally Posted by Wackywoo View Post
    Nobody is forcing you to buy anything.

When Ferrari releases a new car do you cry foul because of the price? Or do you choose not to buy it and continue to go about your day?
    You know damn well this is pay to win. You know damn well this allows people to get powerful gear for real money.

Never mind not even worth trying. Just gonna throw you on ignore. Makes this a lot easier.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-12-07 at 10:07 PM.

no shit? The game is deader than dead. all they cn do is try and milk the 10 people who still play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Wait.. this game is even still around?
    Yes it is. It still gets regular content but the quality and quantity is subjective.

4.3 was literally 1 new class that seems to be getting a debatable reception and a 3 boss 10 man raid.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-12-07 at 10:03 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    You know damn well this is pay to win. You know damn well this allows people to get powerful gear for real money.

Never mind not even worth trying.
    Life is pay2win

The Ferrari owner can get from London to Edinburgh a lot faster than the Skoda owner.

If people are willing to spend a bit extra to jump the queue then businesses are going to exploit that. And they have every right to do so.

15+ Year Old Account
    So you're upset that someone can spend $100 each day to get 26,000 Intel which is 1 accessory per day or $250 to get 2 mounts, a costume set, and 100,000 Intel? How exactly is this game breaking? Do you really think that there is going to be hordes of people rushing to get online to fork out that much money on a FREE to play game? Seriously how many gamers would fork out that much money on a FREE game in the off chance of getting a good piece of gear (love RNG)? Trion is trying to make some money here & nothing else. This is not a loot crate that gives random stuff where you can get screwed over from buying it. This is not an issue of pay-to-win because you can do the raids for accessories. This is not an issue of being able to buy weapons & armor for money. It is simply an issue of people who might not be able to raid every single week or might want catch up on an alt being able to get some accessories. Or is this just an issue of you wish you could do this but you can't afford it so you have to come QQ about others who might be able to?

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    So you're upset that someone can spend $100 each day to get 26,000 Intel which is 1 accessory per day or $250 to get 2 mounts, a costume set, and 100,000 Intel? How exactly is this game breaking? Do you really think that there is going to be hordes of people rushing to get online to fork out that much money on a FREE to play game? Seriously how many gamers would fork out that much money on a FREE game in the off chance of getting a good piece of gear (love RNG)? Trion is trying to make some money here & nothing else. This is not a loot crate that gives random stuff where you can get screwed over from buying it. This is not an issue of pay-to-win because you can do the raids for accessories. This is not an issue of being able to buy weapons & armor for money. It is simply an issue of people who might not be able to raid every single week or might want catch up on an alt being able to get some accessories. Or is this just an issue of you wish you could do this but you can't afford it so you have to come QQ about others who might be able to?
    You are kidding right? Or have you not played Rift at all?

The issue is that Trion have been doing this kind of shady stuff continuously. Paid gear slots, paid classes that at one point were more OP then the rest, previous tier gear to get you into the current raid and so on.

Stop defending a shoddy business practice just because of the business model. There are a few B2P/F2P games that have no Pay to win aspects at all. Trion is literally trying to milk whatever they can off this and you know that.

There are ways to make money. This is a disgusting way of making one and you know it. This game could have easily done well with a pure cosmetic store when it went F2P but no. It got greedy, focused on making a quick buck over working content and it's paid the price for it. The recent patch/expansion quality should be enough to tell you they focused on money over a working game.

Let's just run through this expansion so far. Patches with barely any content, delayed content, patches where content was disabled, more than half the expansion launch content disabled on launch (Oh and back then they decided to go back to a B2P model and less than a year later canned it), FPS issues and crashes with the multicore client, Bosses coming out with bugs due to lack of internal testing and so on.

So yeah when they introduce something like this after a patch with TWO pieces of content you think people aren't going to be irritated?

This is absolutely an issue of Pay to win/Pay for advantage and don't pretend it isn't. If you can get something for money faster than the traditional way that is full on Pay for Advantage.

And yes. Rift has whales. They will fork out that much. It's been shown before they did for raid gear and that cost an absurd amount. If you think it's going to be any different then that's amusing.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-12-07 at 11:33 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    If a Ferrari is required to win life (aka P2W), than fk yea I'm gonna bitch about the price.

- - - Updated - - -

You like these terrible Ferrari metaphors, don't you?
    Not just Ferrari

This game was supposed to be a WoW killer, right? lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    This game was supposed to be a WoW killer, right? lmao
    Advertising tried to go up against WoW. Only the usual people who scream every MMO will kill WoW was saying it would.

And honestly this game could have been huge. Not WoW huge but something big. But well no chance of that happening anymore.

This game was great when it came out. I also spent way too much money in the store when it first came out for different outfits and such (and the leveling gear). I wouldn't buy the raid gear as my understanding is the end game is dead.

I just like the story and leveling and achievements

Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    This game was great when it came out. I also spent way too much money in the store when it first came out for different outfits and such (and the leveling gear). I wouldn't buy the raid gear as my understanding is the end game is dead.

I just like the story and leveling and achievements
    End game isn't dead.

It just lacks people per se. Nobody queues for LFR, Dungeons can take forever as a DPS to even pop and so on. PvP is in the pits and a CM saying "go play another game" as a plug for a game Trion publish doesn't help and Raiding well 19 guilds have stepped foot in Bastion of Steel with 10 clearing it. Tiny bit more down than last patch.

Glad you enjoy parts of it but to me leveling was gutted when they made the most tolerable path for 1-60 Intrepid Adventures and 65-70 requiring XP pots/perks to efficiently level and Story is subjective imo (NMT and beyond it hasn't been anything Stellar).

As for achievements though I agree. Achievement hunting in any game has it's fun. I just don't have any incentive or passion to log into Rift anymore sadly.

The thing is the store has been getting worse over time. It's gone from one shady thing to another and this one is just a joke.

4.3 had the Mystic Archer and a 3 boss 10 man raid. 2 pieces of patch content and they do something like this? It's absolutely frustrating.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-12-07 at 11:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly thought it had closed. Seems it's almost closed then.
    I don't really see the point in boycotting Rift. It'd be like trying to kock down an old man holding on to a walking cane. I think there are other games that should do away with the cache bs, like Shadow of War.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I honestly thought it had closed. Seems it's almost closed then.
    I don't really see the point in boycotting Rift. It'd be like trying to kock down an old man holding on to a walking cane. I think there are other games that should do away with the cache bs, like Shadow of War.
    I don't think boycotting would work.

The main issue for me is that Trion has done this time and time again.