Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Classic servers + "Season's Journey" = forever Classic Server content?

So, upon thinking about classic servers and how they will deal with the eventual "Lack of content" boredom that will eventually settle in with the Naxx raiders - it got me thinking of two things: 1) Blizzard's new love of turning everything into an E-Sport, and 2) Diablo III's Seasons Journeys.

Basically, I'm starting to convince myself that Blizzard may actually implement some sort of repeating "Season's Journey" into Classic servers to keep players a) Competing with eachother on leaderboards and b) to keep recycling the same content with the minimal work needed for "rewards" to keep Classic players appeased.

(EDIT: For those unfamiliar with D3's Season's Journey model. Every few months they announce a "Season" where you create a new character from scratch and meet XYZ number of goals in the given time. The more goals you hit within the timeframe - the more permanent rewards you obtain.)

Of course, just like in D3, the rewards should be purely cosmetic. Things like Frame portraits, special pets (especially if you can port them over to your main account! Cross-mode play promotion! ;P), or titles (if they choose to include the title concept at all since I don't remember titles being a thing in Vanilla outside the old-school PVP honor system). As long as they're cosmetic, it shouldn't interfere with the "Classic" experience. This is why I choose not to include any idea of "transmog" gear as a reward as a) Vanilla obviously didn't have Transmog and b) Because half the fun of endgame Vanilla was seeing what gear others got on. :P

They could implement it in two ways. either a) the simple method: a "Seasonal Classic Server" that resets every season, or b) the complicated version and have you be able to roll seasonal characters on classic characters, but they have restrictions on them like "You can only group up with other seasonal players" and the like...

What say you all?
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2017-12-07 at 09:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly would be totally stoked if they added 'quirks'. Much like seasons, it would be a classic server that has some kind of change to it. Mobs are huge. XP Chaining systems. Just little stuff that is more just a minor code change than an actual content change. Something to spice the game up but keep it behind the 'vanilla' wall so it doesn't affect the main game.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Players are going to faceroll the content so fast that Blizzard won't be prepared for it.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I honestly would be totally stoked if they added 'quirks'. Much like seasons, it would be a classic server that has some kind of change to it. Mobs are huge. XP Chaining systems. Just little stuff that is more just a minor code change than an actual content change. Something to spice the game up but keep it behind the 'vanilla' wall so it doesn't affect the main game.
    While I know they would never do that (Purely because they want to not spread populations out, not for lack of a fun idea. ;P) but if they did, I would love to see a normal classic server... but with the "Free-for-all arena PVP" tag on permanently.

Yeah, there's your "Faction loyalty" for ya! ;P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Players are going to faceroll the content so fast that Blizzard won't be prepared for it.
    Lol... seriously? :P

Dude, I'm considering doing Classic server as I would make a fortune when all the raiders prep up and suddenly say "WTF!? Stonescale Potions need FISH!?!" ;P

Most people would have NO clue what they're running into, or are forgetting SOOO much about the past.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    No, Vanilla means Vanilla. So that's what you're getting.

Plus I don't want to feel forced to play Vanilla just to collect all the cosmetic rewards for my current account.

I hope they just open up TBC servers and so on a long time after the initial vanilla servers come out, with the option to migrate characters to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

Yep, they'll be doing something like that. Here's the reference model:

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-wh...ression-server

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Pure vanilla or no vanilla!
    Just wait till they start screaming for WOD and you look at their post history and see they were the same people saying WOD killed wow.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Only 2 items drop per boss, the simple gearchecks will keep people from steamrolling so hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    Only 2 items drop per boss, the simple gearchecks will keep people from steamrolling so hard.
    I mostly meant sheer amount of guilds/players greatly surpassing what they would have done/did do during classic due to various reasons.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Can I just have a traditional MMORPG in the Warcraft universe again? Not Diablo-like RPG with Diablo-like mechanics. Not a lobby-esque instance loot farming pinata. I don't give a damn about "the content". I've done it already, that's not why I want to play the game. Just give me a god damn traditional MMORPG as it was at the start and an RP-PvP, or just RP server and I'll be happy. I'll have enough things to do in the game for years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kolbjorn View Post
    Yep, they'll be doing something like that. Here's the reference model:

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-wh...ression-server
    Eh. Here we go again...

And, Jesus Christ people. Are you really calling whatever SOE Daybreak is doing a "reference model"? Really? Are we that low already?
    Last edited by Wiedzemir; 2017-12-07 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiedzemir View Post
    Eh. Here we go again...
    (citation needed img)
    Eh.. don't need a citation for a prediction. I'll happily wager fat stacks of in-game gold that
    a) They're going to merge it into the same client, and
    b) There will be a TBC server within 3 years

Enough of the WoW team were end-game EQ raiders that it's pretty silly to think they aren't going to look at/borrow from that model.

Eh.. don't need a citation for a prediction. I'll happily wager fat stacks of in-game gold that
    Riiiight... very ... reasonable position.
    Anyhow.
    a) They're going to merge it into the same client, and
    b) There will be a TBC server within 3 years
    Doubtful. Also, progression server returns us to the square 0 which is "there is no official vanilla server". IMO TBC was the start of the downfall. Arenas, flying, significant class changes, the beginning of homogenization, pushing crafting into irrelevance and, most significantly, "raid or die" philosophy emergence. Oh, and, complete and utter deprecation of the original world, there was no point to be on Azeroth anymore.

Enough of the WoW team were end-game EQ raiders that it's pretty silly to think they aren't going to look at/borrow from that model.
    What year is it? Also, what does EQ of 2000 has to do with the current EQ maintained by Daybreak? Also, progression EQ servers are nothing like it was, they use the most modern version of the game and just roll out content patches on schedule. Same with EQ2. It's not the original game, not at all.
    Last edited by Wiedzemir; 2017-12-07 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    Isn't Naxx the only raid that requires actual non resistance gear checks? Like, I've seen several raids in Molten Core, and BWL that had like 10 afk people.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Isn't Naxx the only raid that requires actual non resistance gear checks? Like, I've seen several raids in Molten Core, and BWL that had like 10 afk people.
    10? Why so few. At times we brought up to 20 social guild members with no gear at all into raids. At best they provided some buffs and served as mules. At worst they were just there.

I'd expect them to just develop new content for the game but if they don't do that they will essentially be forced to do resets. You any play classic for five years. It just doesn't have enough to do at end game.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Wiedzemir View Post
    Doubtful. Also, progression server returns us to the square 0 which is "there is no official vanilla server". IMO TBC was the start of the downfall. Arenas, flying, significant class changes, the beginning of homogenization, pushing crafting into irrelevance and, most significantly, "raid or die" philosophy emergence. Oh, and, complete and utter deprecation of the original world, there was no point to be on Azeroth anymore.

What year is it? Also, what does EQ of 2000 has to do with the current EQ maintained by Daybreak? Also, progression EQ servers are nothing like it was, they use the most modern version of the game and just roll out content patches on schedule. Same with EQ2. It's not the original game, not at all.
    Your position seems to be based on "What Wiedzemir wants" rather than "What technical and marketing issues is Blizzard to solve, and what models have been shown to work in the market."

You seem to be vehemently against TBC, which is fine. Nobody likes stinky addict elves or space goats. Or they shouldn't, but if you take a look at these very forums, there are a few threads about TBC, whether directly or indirectly (threads talking about the expertise stat, for example), so it's apparently of interest to some people.

I could see them stopping at WotLK, maybe, if the data suggests it (and they won't make that decision until after collecting data), but to think they're going to stop at Vanilla doesn't seem to be backed by any observation of the market.

So again, to the OP - don't worry. You'll probably get a fresh Vanilla server at least every 1-2 years.

Deleted
    This "seasonal" concept is exactly what I expect it to be, for the reasons you listed there. I am just not sure, if they, instead of starting anew, instead might add expansion content one after another, maybe every six months?

Getting some permanent reward might be just the thing to get more people involved. As others pointed out though, this would not be the real classic feeling, where you actually had something like a reputation on your server. So seeing too many people involved, especially ones that do not stay around that much, might be bad for what it is supposed to be.

Then again, I would love to get me some rewards over to the main account :>

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    So, upon thinking about classic servers and how they will deal with the eventual "Lack of content" boredom that will eventually settle in with the Naxx raiders - it got me thinking of two things: 1) Blizzard's new love of turning everything into an E-Sport, and 2) Diablo III's Seasons Journeys.

Basically, I'm starting to convince myself that Blizzard may actually implement some sort of repeating "Season's Journey" into Classic servers to keep players a) Competing with eachother on leaderboards and b) to keep recycling the same content with the minimal work needed for "rewards" to keep Classic players appeased.

(EDIT: For those unfamiliar with D3's Season's Journey model. Every few months they announce a "Season" where you create a new character from scratch and meet XYZ number of goals in the given time. The more goals you hit within the timeframe - the more permanent rewards you obtain.)

Of course, just like in D3, the rewards should be purely cosmetic. Things like Frame portraits, special pets (especially if you can port them over to your main account! Cross-mode play promotion! ;P), or titles (if they choose to include the title concept at all since I don't remember titles being a thing in Vanilla outside the old-school PVP honor system). As long as they're cosmetic, it shouldn't interfere with the "Classic" experience. This is why I choose not to include any idea of "transmog" gear as a reward as a) Vanilla obviously didn't have Transmog and b) Because half the fun of endgame Vanilla was seeing what gear others got on. :P

They could implement it in two ways. either a) the simple method: a "Seasonal Classic Server" that resets every season, or b) the complicated version and have you be able to roll seasonal characters on classic characters, but they have restrictions on them like "You can only group up with other seasonal players" and the like...

What say you all?
    I say i hope they go all the way and not some cheap halfass excuse for seasons like d3.
    Look at path of exile leagues, they go with a theme for each league, a mod. Etc additional mobs, loots, other features.

In wow, they could make big overhauls for classes without having to worry about breaking the game because its "season" specific anyway. So they can go nuts with things like double boss spawns in dungeons and raids, new fun talenttrees for classes and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    No, Vanilla means Vanilla. So that's what you're getting.
    But Mum...................................... ffs, it's not fair.

Seriously though, you don't make that decision.

I honestly believe that we wont get seasons, but kinda like seasons dropping a new realm later on will create hype for a fresh start. It's exactly what happens on private realms currently. Those guys playing private servers exclusively always end up playing 1 server for a year or so, then when a new one comes along they flock to it for a fresh start.