Page 1 of 3
LastLast

CNN: "Donald Trump -- keeper of promises"

In a noteworthy and uncharacteristic shift in coverage from the cable news outlet, CNN, who had 93% negative coverage of the president in his first 100 days in office, has offered praise for Trump.

Noting that while it may "horrify the political and foreign policy establishment, media critics and allied leaders", Trump is keeping his promises, and that's something unique in Washington. I myself brought this up in March:

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of California was elected with the same kind of shtick: Outsider, not afraid to call it like he sees it, ready to actually get things done, no political experience. And do you know what happened when he started to get pushback from Democrats, when he started to get criticism from his constituents? He folded like a lawn chair. Suddenly embraced the left and never looked back. Then you look at the pushback against Donald Trump, many magnitudes greater than Schwarzenegger experienced, and would you look at that, he's becoming more determined to accomplish what he said he would. More determined to keep his promises. In the shipwreck of media coverage about Trump, you can easily miss admirable flotsam like this.
    One thing that has stuck with me is Trump's tenacity against adversity, which is truly something to admire. If we had this same kind of dogged determination in a less brutish and abrasive president with flaws as numerous as there are stars in the sky, this country would truly be brought to new heights.

Anyway, props to CNN for giving credit where credit is due.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/07/politi...ept/index.html
    Last edited by Dacien; 2017-12-08 at 03:57 AM.

Too bad so many of his promises are objectively bad for the country if not humanity in general.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    Too bad so many of his promises are objectively bad for the country if not humanity in general.
    Which promises are those?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Michh View Post
    Too many to mention on here. I might get banned for being a spammer.

It is good to see CNN admit they were wrong.

Yeah, politics aside you have to like that he's at least doing what he said he would. Now, whether or not those things are actually positive is a whole different story.

Also kudos to CNN. From anything from news sites to people with opinions - most of them haven't figured out that their opinion is a hundred times more credible if they actually manage to mention the positive aspects and accomplishments of their opponent, rather than solely focus on the negatives.

Edit: And yes, it does count if Trump goes after his promises but is blocked along the way.
    Last edited by Very Tired; 2017-12-08 at 04:46 AM.

He is keeping a large number of his promises, but it's interesting to note that half of his voters even said they voted for him despite promises of insanity because they assumed those promises were nothing but attention-seeking hot air. So his keeping his promises isn't exactly all good; people didn't really want him to do a lot of these things.

10+ Year Old Account
    So Mexico is paying for the wall now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    So Mexico is paying for the wall now?
    And we totally destroyed ISIS in thirty days. And there was no gutting of medicaid and medicare.

Quote Originally Posted by Michh View Post
    Recognizing Jerusalem will give terrorist groups a recruiting tool. Leaving the Paris accords is bad for America (it puts us behind the game on renewable energy cooperation with other countries) and is bad for the freaking planet. I mean, just read past the part of the article that seems to compliment him and it explains how what he's doing is problematic at best. This isn't a glowing commendation of Trump; it's a realistic assessment of what promises he has kept, which he hasn't, and how those promises will affect things.

15+ Year Old Account
    Donald Trump: Kept some insignificant promises and broke his most significant ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post

I'm pretty sure you'd be ok with a list of 7 minor items

- - - Updated - - -

So anyway, it seems CNN is fake news, unless it offers praise, in which case it's real?

Still waiting for some kind of answer to this. It's happened a few times in the last 2 years, ever since the beginning of the election cycle. Some news outlet that is normally dismissed as being fake news out of hand is suddenly taken at face value for the brief glimmer in history that they offer Trump praise.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    And we totally destroyed ISIS in thirty days. And there was no gutting of medicaid and medicare.
    And he never used executive orders and was too busy working to go golfing a single time.
    May 30th, 2019 - Trump admits Russia helped him get elected.

An elected Republican called for biblical law to be implemented and for all non-christians to be murdered. But it's sharia law we should be scared about right?

Republicans ran an actual Nazi for office in 2018 and he got nearly 1/3rd of the votes.

So when are we getting those term limits for Congressmen?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post

List 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lauding the tenacity of someone who cannot work 5 days in a row without needing a golf break and considers a 2 week tour an excruciating experience that few people are capable of is pretty specious, and says more about the person oggling such accomplishments than that person would probably like.

Arnold was terrible for California. I don't think a comparison is positive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where are his tax returns?
    Impeach the MF.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    In a noteworthy and uncharacteristic shift in coverage from the cable news outlet, CNN, who had 93% negative coverage of the president in his first 100 days in office, has offered praise for Trump.

Noting that while it may "horrify the political and foreign policy establishment, media critics and allied leaders", Trump is keeping his promises, and that's something unique in Washington. I myself brought this up in March:

One thing that has stuck with me is Trump's tenacity against adversity, which is truly something to admire. If we had this same kind of dogged determination in a less brutish and abrasive president with flaws as numerous as there are stars in the sky, this country would truly be brought to new heights.

Anyway, props to CNN for giving credit where credit is due.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/07/politi...ept/index.html
    1) It was a backhanded compliment; read the end of the article. But you are desperate, so you are grasping at straws to make it seem like this is a victory for your side.

2) The country would easily be "brought to new heights" if Trump apologists like you are out of the picture.

3) If Trump does negative things, then naturally he gets negative coverage. The % of negative coverage doesn't mean anything by itself, other than a useless metric used by Trump toadies to cry that he's unfairly treated. Well no shit, don't do shitty scumbag things and people tend not to make negative news out of you.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    1) It was a backhanded compliment; read the end of the article. But you are desperate, so you are grasping at straws to make it seem like this is a victory for your side.

2) The country would easily be "brought to new heights" if Trump apologists like you are out of the picture.

3) If Trump does negative things, then naturally he gets negative coverage. The % of negative coverage doesn't mean anything by itself, other than a useless metric used by Trump toadies to cry that he's unfairly treated. Well no shit, don't do shitty scumbag things and people tend not to make negative news out of you.
    If you think he's a Trump apologist based on what he wrote then I think you have no business discussing politics online until you learn to actually read a text.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    This is the opposite of a compliment in every way.

10+ Year Old Account
    The article lists like, half a dozen, most of which were either negative, or half-true (immigration ban/ NAFTA).

This is the poor man's Fox op-ed

Great, Trump kept some of his shitty promises, I'm not sure why people are so happy about it. Let's stack his list of kept promises next to his list of broken ones and lies... and see which is higher.

As for the OP complaining abut negative coverage, maybe if Trump wasn't such a terrible person, the coverage wouldn't be so negative.

Sounds like fake news.