Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    She is a cutie, probably not my cup of tea, but It looks good.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Fair enough, though that's not really a sword is it >_>

She just looked weird to me with that sword in the trailer, like it doesn't quite fit.
    I understand what you mean, she never use the Damascus blades as a sword, (use = using the blade in traditional sword fighting technique)

10+ Year Old Account
    Gunnm is such a weird and wonderful manga, it's very strange, but I like it a lot. It's important to me in ways that other more mainstream works aren't, even ones I absolutely love in a lot of ways.

A lot of people were Ghost in the Shell fans, I never was - never got into it or watched much of it at all. But I was a fan of Battle Angel and got really into the manga later, and in the same way that those fans were looking forwards to a GotS film, I feel that way about the Alita film. I just hope I can enjoy it, I didn't hear a lot of good things about the GotS film (still haven't seen it myself).

Incidentally re. her eyes, yes, they're meant to be that big and creepy doll-like, it's not just 'because anime'. In the manga people comment on it as well. It's one aspect of her character, how she was initially molded into being this ornament for the scientist who rebuilt her, something she eventually rebels against by becoming the bad-ass hunter-warrior that she is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I've given up on trying to point this out. People just want to cry about it, whether they're meant to be like that or not.
    People are the worst.

Anime fans crying about her big eyes and small mouth, the irony.

I've been looking forward to this film for awhile since I heard James Cameron was making it. I can't wait for February, it ought to be an instant classic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Anime fans crying about her big eyes and small mouth, the irony.
    Well, technically, they talk more about her big (octopus) mouth in the original manga than about her eyes, so it can make sense I guess.

Still 100% looking for it personally, good original material, and good director who is a huge fan of it, it could potentially go well for once.
    Oh, hi.

Look at the eyes

fuck xd

they are so shit lol xdxdxd

7+ Year Old Account
    With the look of her eyes and the story it seems like it will be boring crap.

Well it looks like they changed the eyes due to reactions from the trailer. I'm fine with the eye's as they were, I thought they added a little visual weirdness that fit with the world created in the manga but I understand why they made the change. Maybe when it comes to dvd we can see both versions.

http://sciencefiction.com/2018/11/19...as-anime-eyes/

Alita: Battle Angel has a little over a month left to go before dropping, but it seems some critics have gotten the chance to see the film early. Over on social media, a smattering of first reactions to the adaptation have dropped, and they’re more optimistic than you may have guessed.

Taking to Twitter, a slew of reporters shared their thoughts on Alita: Battle Angel after a screening was made for critics. Hector Navarro, an LA-based writer, was one of the first to share their praise for the film and its 3D aesthetic.

“Just saw Alita: Battle Angel and it kinda blew my mind. Can’t wait for everyone to see it! More anime/manga adaptations like this please,” the writer admitted.

Navarro’s sentiments were followed by Chris Sylvia, a writer for Regal Movies. “Alita kicks serious hardcore butt,” he shared online. “Must be experienced in 3D.”

For fans wanting a more in-depth reaction, Paul Shirey came in clutch with his take. The editor-in-chief at JoBlo shared a thread giving his impression, and the writer admits he left the screening pleasantly surprised with what he saw.

“Alita: Battle Angel is a wild, visceral ride that offers kick-ass action, an immersive virtual world and a surprising amount of emotional weight. Everything rests on you loving the character of Alita and she is fully fleshed out; strong, flawed, endearing and rebellious,” Shirey wrote.
    https://comicbook.com/anime/amp/2019...actions-anime/

Looks like most reviews have been positive. This movie could very well clear the path for new, significantly better anime adaptations (better than Dragon Ball Evolution at least) and cyberpunk movies not purely derivative of Blade Runner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Early reviews are encouraging. I think critics will dump on this no matter what, but hopefully the average movie go-er will still enjoy it, and it sounds like Battle Angel fans will be pleased.

15+ Year Old Account
    Old media critical reception is mixed (60% fresh on RT atm), but eventhing I've heard from actual audiences has been overwhelmingly positive, and all the reviews I've seen on youtube are positive.

Hopefully the word of mouth is enough to sell people on it, because the marketing hasn't done the best job. I fear this may be another Edge of Tommorow; a great adaptation that struggles to find its audience.

I know it's not a good reason to dodge a film, but those eyes are looks so ridiculous. Well, that an I've never enjoyed the overuse of CGI many modern films go down.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Old media critical reception is mixed (60% fresh on RT atm), but eventhing I've heard from actual audiences has been overwhelmingly positive, and all the reviews I've seen on youtube are positive.

Hopefully the word of mouth is enough to sell people on it, because the marketing hasn't done the best job. I fear this may be another Edge of Tommorow; a great adaptation that struggles to find its audience.
    I enjoyed it. Never read the manga but I have seen the anime, and for what it was it was enjoyable. It had flaws but you can tell there was passion there. I know die hard animie fans will probably find a reason to hate it, but I thought it was good. Great in 3D too.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I enjoyed it. Never read the manga but I have seen the anime, and for what it was it was enjoyable. It had flaws but you can tell there was passion there. I know die hard animie fans will probably find a reason to hate it, but I thought it was good. Great in 3D too.
    Change from a random-ass private to an armchair major was imo a good thing and its always cathartic to see Tom Cruise die in horrible ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    I know it's not a good reason to dodge a film, but those eyes are looks so ridiculous. Well, that an I've never enjoyed the overuse of CGI many modern films go down.
    Those huge eyes were there in the source material from what I can gather. They were huge, even compared to the eyes of other characters in the same franchise. So kudos for them at least keeping the character design as close as possible to the source material.

Even though, I admit, it is still a bit jarring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw it. It's great. Even saw it in 3D and that didn't detract from the experience like every single other 3D film I've ever seen.

I think they did a really good job adapting the story and I love all the little world elements they included in it. Would really recommend it, especially if you're a fan of the manga.

Hope it does well enough to warrant a film series. If those Mockingjay books can get a dozen movies, this certainly ought to.

Well this was actually decent. Its not a perfect adaptation, but you know it could be a fucking mess like ghost in the shell that had a perfect cast and used 0 of it and fucking tried to jam everything they could from past movies and entire manga/ anime series into a single movie and somehow, still manage to fucking detract to the fucking lowest denominator story, im trying to find myself boohoo and we need a evil mcbadguy where his only logic is im evil, buz that fits.

Now we know hollywood is gona adapt more and more anime/manga/light novel (its smarter then adapting video games), on its own its not a bad thing. You just always need a proper person behind the wheel as comic book adaptation showed us. This feel like what blade was for the comic book movies back in early 2000. The first flick that is not exactly critical hit, but people liked it enough. Theres not really awful, its not great either. But it shows the potential of these adaptations. Its just a matter of time before someone in hollywood thats a fan of something like say Full Metal Alchemist and we get something like a harry potter/lord of the ring style adaptation with a proper budget of one of these larger franchises.

As a fan of the old manga, i actually give it my seal of well adapted and i can tell Robert Rodriguez really love it. Then again even when Rodriguez does low budget kids film, you can tell hes having fun and doing all he can with it. Its really hard to hate this guy in general.

6/10
    Last edited by minteK917; 2019-02-16 at 04:54 AM.

Seeing the movie today. I'm a big anime fan, but I had never heard of Gunm: Battle Angel Alita until the first trailer. I'm really big on cyberpunk too. I just discovered the trailer for the 1993 ova a few hours ago, and my anticipation for this film has skyrocketed:

I've yet to read the manga, nor have I watched the 1993 ova so I can go into this film mostly blind.
    Last edited by Asphyx22; 2019-02-16 at 09:55 PM.

Just saw the trailer. Why are her eyes so fucking weird? It works in Anime and Manga, doesn't work with real people.