Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

When and why did you start playing GW2?

Greetings champions! Good to see you all.

So, everybody that played GW2 started at some point, and for some reason. I'd love to know when and why you started to play GW2!

I started to play at the end of 2013, after looking at the Angry Joe review on Youtube, with an account that my friend gave me. Loved the game from the start, and some months later bought my own account, to then play as a thief and like the game even more.

And you?

See you soon!

Had a break from wow and bought GW2 on launch.

Started a Charr warrior and loved it in pvp.

Was an awesome game i really enjoyed it. The questing experience for the first time was really cool. Stopped playing it cus my friends were still playing WoW... and eventually ofc i came back to WoW

Played since the launch date, it was the same with GW1 as well. Hell I even made a closed beta youtube video about the Obsidian Sanctum JP:

Me and my friends were so hyped with GW2. Let's say the game at release didn't met up the hype and most of them stopped playing as the game was pretty messy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesethi View Post
    Played since the launch date, it was the same with GW1 as well. Hell I even made a closed beta youtube video about the Obsidian Sanctum JP:

Me and my friends were so hyped with GW2. Let's say the game at release didn't met up the hype and most of them stopped playing as the game was pretty messy.
    To be honest, I think that GW2 only achieved its true potential with the launch of Heart of Thorns and the Mastery System. If GW2 launched with all the things that HoT had at the time of launch (Masteries and etc) GW2 would have a better reception, and people wouldn't quit in a week or two after reaching max level

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    To be honest, I think that GW2 only achieved its true potential with the launch of Heart of Thorns and the Mastery System. If GW2 launched with all the things that HoT had at the time of launch (Masteries and etc) GW2 would have a better reception, and people wouldn't quit in a week or two after reaching max level
    I'd say the mastery system, the fractals improvement and also the introduction of the raids really helped improving the game. During the time I took my break, which was after Season 1 ended, there wasn't much to do but dungeons, which were very dull and requested full zerker teams, and fractals, unfortunately they awarded very poor rewards. I finished my Sunrise and did all content I had possible back then and stopped. I returned during Chapter 5 of LS3 and I could notice the game improvements.

But indeed, if it had launched with the content you informed, it would be another story.

I played GW1 years back, but none of my online buddies played, so eventually I switched to WoW. I was watching for GW2 from when they had a magazine out talking about all the great stuff they planned. I think it gave me a free pet Asura in GW1, back when you GW1 pets would carry over to GW2. Played WoW for years, from end of BC up, but was really growing tired of it. I didn't raid, and it was always obvious that I was a second class citizen at best, but some of the Firelands decisions really seemed unfriendly to me. GW2 was still on the horizon, and SW:TOR was launching and Blizzards response was to panda's.

I swapped to SW:TOR, which was great, lots of fun, but then it just stopped. GW2's content droughts are nothing compared to WoW's, but SW:TOR made both of them look like rainforests compared to the desert of content there after launch.

So yeah, when GW2 came out, I was ready for it. I still return to SW:TOR sometimes since it's still an enjoyable game with great stories, but I only returned to WoW once when the token system came out. Fully 3/4 of my characters are gnomes, and they messed their faces up so much it was horrible. They may have only had 1-2 good faces before, but ugh!

I enjoy the play of GW2, even if I don't always enjoy the content. So I may just run around for a while doing nothing important, but I'm on nearly every day.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

I'm pretty new GW2 player, started in the end of September, few days after Path of Fire release and around a month after I finally dropped WoW. I accidentally stumbled upon an old blog with some stories from Season 1 and it sounded so amazing I decided to give the game a try since it was free to play anyway. Ended up bying both expansions after several hours of gameplay and LWS2+LWS3 a bit later. Absolutely love the game and wish I bought it earlier, back in 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    I'm pretty new GW2 player, started in the end of September, few days after Path of Fire release and around a month after I finally dropped WoW. I accidentally stumbled upon an old blog with some stories from Season 1 and it sounded so amazing I decided to give the game a try since it was free to play anyway. Ended up bying both expansions after several hours of gameplay and LWS2+LWS3 a bit later. Absolutely love the game and wish I bought it earlier, back in 2012.
    To be honest, it's not that bad if you didn't join early. GW2 is in a pretty good state nowadays, a lot better than it was on launch!

I played GW2 at launch, because of GW1.
    Different games... I love the GW2 "world" but the combat isn't my cup of tea.

Deleted
    Started on launch, then I played for a few months and quit. Been coming back to the game ever since for a few weeks here and there, every few months. I'm planning on buying Path of Fire sometime soon because I've heard tons of good things about it!

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    At Launch, because it was Awesome. Played a lot. Not playing atm because college, but it's a very good game.

My Charr Engineer is so cool. Black Citadel is awesome. I'll eventually play the newest expansion, but the battle against the Mouth of Mordremoth will be forever in my memory.

Started in beta, been playing every since. Not necessarily every week, but at least when ever a patch comes out.

Started playing because I was burned out on WoW and stopped playing for several months, then started seeing things pop up about GW2 and it looked promising. Tried the beta, enjoyed what was there, and continued from then on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was in the beta, bought a copy as soon as it was available and played for a few months. Then I just stopped.

I completely forgot about the game to be honest.

Then during the holiday break, I came across a gif of the raptor mount idle animation on Reddit (the one where it almost shakes the rider off) and had an "omg, I totally forgot about that game!" moment.

I downloaded the game and started playing again. Less than a week later I bought both of the expansions. According to the store, a little over 4 years passed since I last played the game.

WHY DID I STOP PLAYING THIS GAME?!?!

Started playing during the beta weekends, and because I was a big fan of the original Guild Wars. GW2 is a very different game than GW1 though I enjoy them both. I will say that GW2 is a much, much better game now than it was at launch.

Currently I'm only playing casually, logging in just to do weekly raids and occasionally fractals while I wait for the next LWS4 episode and the new map.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Greetings champions! Good to see you all.

So, everybody that played GW2 started at some point, and for some reason. I'd love to know when and why you started to play GW2!

I started to play at the end of 2013, after looking at the Angry Joe review on Youtube, with an account that my friend gave me. Loved the game from the start, and some months later bought my own account, to then play as a thief and like the game even more.

And you?

See you soon!
    I was handed the game as a present for my birthday not much after launch. Too bad it was in early MoP which I was pretty hyped about, else I could have stuck in GW2.

Deleted
    About 2 months after GW2 release, I got a 100 euro gift card as a present for working for my employer for 20 years. I liked GW1, but was worried about needing to group to get any further in game (I prefer solo). Didn't really know what dynamic events in GW2 etc. meant.
    But I was so curious about GW2, and receiving this gift card was a good moment to try it out! Never regretted my purchase!
    -Topazy
    Last edited by mmoc3e4c2a51a4; 2018-01-29 at 01:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Had quit WoW and SWTOR for various reasons but combat was one. Never intended to play GW2 but got the BWE. Instantly loved the design of various systems and the combat. It reminded of how gw1 was the alternative MMO of its day, how it did things different in ways that worked.

Got into WvW and was hooked. Took various breaks but the good thing about GW2 is you can always jump right back into it and you dont "have" to play because you paid for a sub

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Both husband and I were very excited with GW2 trailers and promo and, if I remember correctly, we had pre-purchased it. We still played WoW when GW2 was released and juggled between the two games for 5-6 months. We ended up quitting WoW and kept on with GW2 quite a while, had a break, bought the expansion, played a little more. Now we're back to WoW.

Tried the beta, enjoyed what was there, and continued from then on.

I watched Totalbiscuit's beta videos and thought it looked interesting with the more sandboxy gameplay.

I bought a physical copy of the game give or take a week after it launched, my computer was unfortunately a bit too much of a potato to play properly and so I didn't play for a few years, ever since getting a computer that can run guild wars 2 maxed out I have installed and uninstalled the game maybe.. 15-16 times, previously I never understood the endgame but now that I found an item to work towards ( in this case Ydalir for my Dragonhunter ) it makes the game much more enjoyable as I feel a sense of progression whenever I complete a step on my self imposed journey.