Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    2012 and because of the concept art style.

2014; friends wanted me to give it a shot. But I couldn't get past how few skills there were. Just felt lacking in flavor in the sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got interested in GW2 about three years ago. Fooled around with it for a few months and put it on the shelf mainly because I was playing WoW and didn't need another MMO in my life right then. I've logged in three or four times a year since mostly to...well, I don't know...just to log in I guess.

This last weekend I finally sat down and logged in again with the idea of getting back into it since I'm not playing WoW at the moment (still subscribed) and not very interested in BfA. I had a lot of fun and enjoyed myself for an hour or so. So I gave some thought to buying the expansions and making it a regular thing. Then today, the expansions went on sale for half off.

Well, OK. I'm not an idiot and can tell when the forces of the universe want me to do something. So there you go. Will be picking up the expansions tonight or tomorrow, thinking about what to do with my new level 80 and start doing something on a regular basis. Whatever it was that didn't cause me to play more all those years ago, I find the game pretty agreeable now and am looking forward to taking it slow, exploring the hell out of everything and having some fun.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I think I started to dabble around Launch. and played a bit got a character to 40 or So. Then Got hacked the hacker leveled my Necro to 80 for me, so I guess I actually came out on top of that deal. I have played a bit every now and then, but Have no one to play with so haven't picked up. Release this shit on Console and Ill play it over Tera any day.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Well, OK. I'm not an idiot and can tell when the forces of the universe want me to do something. So there you go. Will be picking up the expansions tonight or tomorrow, thinking about what to do with my new level 80 and start doing something on a regular basis. Whatever it was that didn't cause me to play more all those years ago, I find the game pretty agreeable now and am looking forward to taking it slow, exploring the hell out of everything and having some fun.
    If you find yourself hating HoT...skip it. I'm not joking. You'll miss some story, but so far PoF is infinitely more enjoyable for me. You don't actually need to do HoT, though some of the glider masteries can be helpful since you can glide everywhere in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    If you find yourself hating HoT...skip it. I'm not joking. You'll miss some story, but so far PoF is infinitely more enjoyable for me. You don't actually need to do HoT, though some of the glider masteries can be helpful since you can glide everywhere in the world.
    I recently watched a few of the developer interviews leading up to PoF and the principle impression I got was that they were all very sorry for HoT and wouldn't do it again. Never expressly said as such but quite a lot of (paraphrasing) "PoF is a return to the stuff that made people fall in love with GW2 to start with". I wasn't paying attention during any of it and don't much care about the specifics at this point. I'll likely do some exploring, hit the vistas and that's about it.

Very "developer reaction-to-Cataclysm" vibe in all of that; just displaced into another game.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I recently watched a few of the developer interviews leading up to PoF and the principle impression I got was that they were all very sorry for HoT and wouldn't do it again. Never expressly said as such but quite a lot of (paraphrasing) "PoF is a return to the stuff that made people fall in love with GW2 to start with". I wasn't paying attention during any of it and don't much care about the specifics at this point. I'll likely do some exploring, hit the vistas and that's about it.

Very "developer reaction-to-Cataclysm" vibe in all of that; just displaced into another game.
    Yeah, HoT was...polarizing, to say the least. Plus Anet had some hiccups as they were figuring out how to handle expansion (I think it was nealry a full year before the first LS episode was released, and it took around 6-9 months for them to tone the zones down as they were super solo player unfriendly at launch.) and I think it's a time a lot of folks would rather forget. PoF really felt like a giant apology for HoT in the big way. I'm just kinda a little mad at myself for being so salty over HoT that I didn't give it a shot earlier.

It wasn't all bad (LS episodes were pretty good if you have them unlocked) and it's worth a shot to see if it's up your alley, but if it doesn't click with you by the time you get through the first zone then it probably won't ever click.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2018-06-21 at 04:14 AM.

WoD was the reason. I enjoyed the game. But i didnt have a Guild there or friends, so after doing some fractals i left

I thought it looked cool so I got it launch day instead of Mists of Pandaria. That is it really.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

I played GW2 in the last base game beta they had and at launch. I was super hyped for it because I was getting really bored of World of Warcraft. Funny story is I actually met my wife at a bar because I overheard her talking with her friends about GW2. I sort of saw my way into that conversation and talked with her about it for a little bit. Six months later we were dating. XD

Anywho, I started playing on launch and got to like level 50 before going back to WoW. I don't know why I didn't keep playing but it wasn't really for me. Up until now I've played on and off between expansions for WoW, eventually getting several level 80's but always putting them back down because I don't have anything to do (not a big PvPer and with raids you either go as whatever is meta or you don't go from what I've been told). I'm back again shortly before BfA launches in August and working on getting a Berserker build together that I'll actually enjoy.

I think a lot of it hinges on I don't have an active guild that I'm regularly apart of. The only guild I'm in that has people are only on for two hours and generally it's outside of my hours that I play (I live in Oceanic on Guam so...). If BfA bombs like some people expect it to, I'll probably be doing GW2 when I'm not on FFXIV.

10+ Year Old Account

The game definitely took a turn for the better when they got rid of the old director. HOT had too many unrealistic/unclear ambitions. t and There was no reward for effort put in when it doing content. Even after they've gone back and refined it, its a very clunky experience that gets in its own way. Example, Tangled Depth's is a very detailed map. You can tell a lot of work went it into designing it...except is an absolute nightmare to play through because its too big and too complex to enjoy.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yeah, HoT was...polarizing, to say the least. Plus Anet had some hiccups as they were figuring out how to handle expansion (I think it was nealry a full year before the first LS episode was released, and it took around 6-9 months for them to tone the zones down as they were super solo player unfriendly at launch.) and I think it's a time a lot of folks would rather forget. PoF really felt like a giant apology for HoT in the big way. I'm just kinda a little mad at myself for being so salty over HoT that I didn't give it a shot earlier.

It wasn't all bad (LS episodes were pretty good if you have them unlocked) and it's worth a shot to see if it's up your alley, but if it doesn't click with you by the time you get through the first zone then it probably won't ever click.
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The game definitely took a turn for the better when they got rid of the old director. HOT had too many unrealistic/unclear ambitions. t and There was no reward for effort put in when it doing content. Even after they've gone back and refined it, its a very clunky experience that gets in its own way. Example, Tangled Depth's is a very detailed map. You can tell a lot of work went it into designing it...except is an absolute nightmare to play through because its too big and too complex to enjoy.
    Thanks to all for the comments. I've got my new potential 80-level characters sitting on the shelf for now and intend to level up as God expects us to level up in games like this. I have a ranger and quite like the switching between ranged and melee. That was a surprise (that I would like it) but I'm just seeing the sights and taking my time. Trying to find everything in one zone before moving on to the next. Very relaxed player who will likely play weekends a lot and just log in on weeknights for the reward box. Interested in exploring and not hurrying at all.

The game definitely took a turn for the better when they got rid of the old director.
    Point of clarification here. They did not get rid of their old game director. He left for a different opportunity at Amazon Games for a variety of reason none of which were because of poor HoT reception.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Point of clarification here. They did not get rid of their old game director. He left for a different opportunity at Amazon Games for a variety of reason none of which were because of poor HoT reception.
    Youre right, I should have said that he left. I liked Colin, and it might not be due to him, but the contrast while he was there vs his departure is apparent.

Youre right, I should have said that he left. I liked Colin, and it might not be due to him, but the contrast while he was there vs his departure is apparent.
    Yea that is true. I'm actually curious though how much of a shift we still would have seen if he hadn't left. Like for one thing I think we still would have gotten the quarterly "this is what we're working on" posts if Colin had stayed and I think they were probably already working on some issues with HoT before Colin left as well. Also, around the same time Jon Peters and John Corpening also left. The three of them together were heavy hitters in Guild Wars 2 so the cumulative affect is probably pretty huge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Liked what I saw, also knew from Gw1 that when they said they had a plan for longevity with Gw2 it wasn't just talk to butter people up, they could actually back it up having done it for almost a decade with the predecessor. So it wasn't going to be some flash in the pan that died out within 12 months.

Coincidentally I read Gw in spite of its grand age recently got a minor graphics overhaul this year.. I still keep it installed for nostalgia and occasional stabs at that infamous 50/50 HoM (i only played on/off between other games like WoW, so got only as far as 30/50 prior to gw2). People actually still play it.. and in short bursts its quite fun

Its nice to be able to get into the thick of things (after a bit of "catch up") knowing if you get busy you don't feel like a muppet having blown a tenner on a sub for 1/2 days game play because you can't find time. Aside from this it remains a pretty good game with a healthy population to boot.
    Last edited by Pete; 2018-06-26 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    I haven't played GW2 all that much, so what exactly was the issue with HoT? What made it so terrible in comparison to PoF?
    HoT shifted the focus of maps away from exploration and more towards making your way through hostile and dangerous maps via events through out the maps which worked together to achieve the map meta. As a result traversing the maps in general was much more difficult than it had previously been in any of the existing maps. A lot of people also didn't like that there were no hearts in the HoT maps. Also, there were a lot of Hero points which were literally impossible to do alone which frustrated many people. Those are the main points which stand out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    HoT shifted the focus of maps away from exploration and more towards making your way through hostile and dangerous maps via events through out the maps which worked together to achieve the map meta. As a result traversing the maps in general was much more difficult than it had previously been in any of the existing maps. A lot of people also didn't like that there were no hearts in the HoT maps. Also, there were a lot of Hero points which were literally impossible to do alone which frustrated many people. Those are the main points which stand out to me.
    This, plus the need to unlock tons of masteries to access full maps was a killer. The maps have a ton in the way of verticality built into them, and a pretty large chunk of each map isn't accessible until you unlock a lot of masteries well down the road. It's frustrating when all you want to do is explore and clear a map and instead are faced with constant barriers that force you to go and grind events/farm mastery points to unlock that stuff.

I think how they handled it with mounts gating access to bits of the maps via masteries in PoF is infinitely better. It's a much smoother experience that still puts some barriers up, but keeps them low for completing basic shit like map completion. The harder stuff is still there, but it's more hidden side activities etc.

Just not got to the final zone (thought the second the last zone was the final one at first) and completing these maps has been a joy for the most part and I definitely feel like I'm not being forced to grind mastery levels/points as the points aren't terribly hard to come by and simple map completion (which doesn't require too much effort) rewards plenty of experience to get the "mandatory" unlocks for mounts and such.

Deleted
    At release. Played it for a few days. Then it hit me: why the fuck am I playing this instead of WoW?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    I haven't played GW2 all that much, so what exactly was the issue with HoT? What made it so terrible in comparison to PoF?
    For me it was the lack of rewards for effort and grind when HoT came out. Everything required more xp and points to unlock.

Map events required hour long commitments for any reward so there was no point if you came late. The rewards in general were weak anyway.

A lot of crafting requirements were overturned. Some stuff was nearly mathematically impossible to get.

I played through maps slow but if your focus was story you literally had to stop and grind in a way that didn't feel natural to the actual story itself.

Not bad but overturned and unpolished. Like they skipped their QA phase of development.