Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are the StarCraft books worth reading?

Is the expanded story worth the dive? If so where should I start

Deleted
    Good fun but trash, same as the warhammer or warcraft books.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    or warcraft books.
    you sir, are bugging.

In my opinion? Not really. The Starcraft lore is pretty boring and underdeveloped as far as a major fantasy canon goes and the story itself isn't that great. The zerg is pretty interesting and stuff but the protoss and terrans are very stock advanced aliens/humans.

If you enjoy the Starcraft story then you'd probably like the novels, if you take them for what they are and don't expect them to be 'well' written.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHomieG View Post
    you sir, are bugging.
    They are are mindless fun, just turn your brain off and enjoy.

you sir, are bugging.
    Depends. Some Warcraft books are actually pretty good. Rise of the Horde and Warcrimes (barring Warcrime's awful Jaina/Kalec lovestory and the hokey ending) are both very good books as far as high fantasy is concerned. War of the Ancients is alright when it comes to adventure/battle.

Most Warcraft books fall into the 'mediocre' category, a couple are quite good and a few are downright terrible. Stormrage, Cycle of Hatred and good chunks of the Arthas book come to mind when I think about Warcraft novels that are actively difficult to read through.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are are mindless fun, just turn your brain off and enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Depends. Some Warcraft books are actually pretty good. Rise of the Horde and Warcrimes (barring Warcrime's awful Jaina/Kalec lovestory and the hokey ending) are both very good books as far as high fantasy is concerned. War of the Ancients is alright when it comes to adventure/battle.

Most Warcraft books fall into the 'mediocre' category, a couple are quite good and a few are downright terrible. Stormrage, Cycle of Hatred and good chunks of the Arthas book come to mind when I think about Warcraft novels that are actively difficult to read through.
    I mean aside from Knaak's little talking raptor bit, I don't see anything bad about the books. The books contribute a lot to Warcraft's already huge catalog of lore. That's what's always made Warcraft better than any of its competitors like LotR and GoT and Warhammer. The fact that there's so much lore and so many mediums of said lore really make the franchise probably the best high fantasy franchise ever made.

Deleted
    I mean aside from Knaak's little talking raptor bit, I don't see anything bad about the books. The books contribute a lot to Warcraft's already huge catalog of lore. That's what's always made Warcraft better than any of its competitors like LotR and GoT and Warhammer. The fact that there's so much lore and so many mediums of said lore really make the franchise probably the best high fantasy franchise ever made.
    Are you seriously saying that Warcraft has more lore than Warhammer and LOTR? Warcraft itself was born from a failed project from Games Workshop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you seriously saying that Warcraft has more lore than Warhammer and LOTR? Warcraft itself was born from a failed project from Games Workshop.
    Possibly. Warcraft has RTS games, an MMORPG, a spinoff game, a movie, a now-defunct TCG, a plethora of novels, multiple comic series', a manga series, a tabletop RPG series, multiple short stories and short audiobooks/videos, etc.

Besides, I said Warcraft is BETTER than LotR and Warhammar. Of course their lore might rival Warcraft due to them being around longer.
    Last edited by DaHomieG; 2017-12-12 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Forgot there's a movie too lmao

Warhammer has more lore than Warcraft, Lord of the Rings is the progenitor of all modern high fantasy and Song of Ice and Fire isn't the same type of high fantasy as Warcraft/Warhammer/Tolkien, not to mention is a drama/historical. Kind of weird to stack the three of them up against Warcraft like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Warhammer has more lore than Warcraft, Lord of the Rings is the progenitor of all modern high fantasy and Song of Ice and Fire isn't the same type of high fantasy as Warcraft/Warhammer/Tolkien, not to mention is a drama/historical. Kind of weird to stack the three of them up against Warcraft like that.
    GoT is dark fantasy I know but I'm just listing contemporaries within the medieval fantasy genre

Deleted
    Possibly. Warcraft has RTS games, an MMORPG, a spinoff game, a movie, a now-defunct TCG, a plethora of novels, multiple comic series', a manga series, a tabletop RPG series, multiple short stories and short audiobooks/videos, etc.

Besides, I said Warcraft is BETTER than LotR and Warhammar. Of course their lore might rival Warcraft due to them being around longer.
    Warhammer has all of those times 5.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warhammer has all of those times 5.
    but who the fuck plays Warhammar in 2017 my guy lets be real for a sec

Deleted
    but who the fuck plays Warhammar in 2017 my guy lets be real for a sec

Millions of people, enough for GW to keep raising their prices like a drug dealer to his addicts.

10+ Year Old Account

Millions of people, enough for GW to keep raising their prices like a drug dealer to his addicts.
    II mean orcs with guns are cool and all but do you really think its better than Warcraft as a franchise?

I enjoyed them, but I'd consider them more teenage reading level than adult. If that is not a deterrent, go ahead and have a blast! As for where to start, i'm sure there's a chronological order you can google up, but I started with the terrans and went from there personally.
    Last edited by Grinthe; 2017-12-12 at 02:32 AM.

II mean orcs with guns are cool and all but do you really think its better than Warcraft as a franchise?
    I really like the Warcraft lore but some of it is full of plot holes and nonsense. You can't sell your opinion as facts and you can't state facts without at least a little research. Warhammer is doing alright or else they wouldn't still be around.

OP - I can't say much for the Starcraft books but I can say I enjoyed SC1 lore but not SC2. If an entire war in a galaxy is based one two people's love and an angry politician you can count me out of any of those books.

lore wise and story wise, 40k takes a giant steaming shit on everything warcraft has to offer. Gamewise warcraft wins, GW cant find a non shit studio to build them a good game. But as for as the lore warhammer has more than warcraft could ever hope for and more.

Deleted
    I am not saying one is better than the other, the fact is though that one is 20+ years older than the other and still earning a lot of money from countless books, figurines and vidya as well as monthly magazines.