Thread: Ketogenic diet

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Ketogenic diet

Hello guys

I would like to talk about the keto diet. I have lost weight doing it and it is probably the best diet in my opinion because of how it naturally suppresses a person's appetite. Can't lose weight without eating less calories of course!

But the thing is people are still opposed to a diet that is high fat. There are people out there that have made this their way of eating as well and are perfectly healthy. Yet some refuse to accept it. Or most of the world actually.

What is your opinion on this diet and fat in general? Should we still stick to the low fat idea?

I think most diets are bullshit, I eat what I want when I want and I never have problems from it.

Deleted
    Diets are awesome. i recommend everyone who feels "big or fat" to visit a doctor. You lose your freedom but you gain a better grasp of a working life.

The most important aspect of a diet is consistency. People need a lot of willpower and they also need to be objective and consider whether or not any given diet is truly working for them. I think one of the biggest mistakes people make when it comes to dieting is trying to go cold turkey. It's better to slowly cut down on unhealthy habits, gradually replacing specific foods with healthier alternatives rather than simply jumping right into the deep end.

I also think some people need to make peace with the idea that they can be notoriously fussy eaters. I know I am - and that there's some stuff that they just won't be able to stomach or enjoy no matter how hard they try.

CICO is the only thing that works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    I think most diets are bullshit, I eat what I want when I want and I never have problems from it.
    just because your metabolism is great doesn't mean you're healthy

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

Keto is great, especially since most good foods are fats/protein anyway.

It can be hard to let go of carbs tho

I have had success with ketogenic dieting and intermittent fasting. I got to around 9% body fat without losing any muscle and strength on it last year.

The problem is that I've also done this and put on more muscle while on a prototypical bodybuilder diet which is high carb, high protein, low fat. The logic behind keto and fasting is that you deplete your glycogen stores when you don't eat carbs for a certain period of time and your body burns fat instead of carbs as a result. The science behind it seems solid but I don't know how true that really is or how effective that makes it compared to a regular diet.

Nutrition is the only scientific discipline I've ever seen where there is so little agreement on anything. Everyone used to say carbs were important but now keto is big and people get good results on it. Everyone used to say high animal protein was important but now vegans and vegetarians say it isn't (I think they are full of shit because they cherry pick evidence to fit their ideology).

Diets that have completely different foods and macros seem to produce good results in different people. I would say try different diets and find one that works for you.

Deleted
    Last edited by mmoc66337a3447; 2018-09-17 at 12:39 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Diet are awesome for the wallet of their creators and that's pretty all.

Don't be a pigeon.

Keto is not necessary, but can be good in short periods of times, such as in Mark Sisson's keto reset diet. You just need to avoid processed carbs, grains, industrial seed oils and added sugars, especially fructose. From there you need nutrient dense foods, including organ meats, bone marrow, high quality animal fat and protein, leafy dark green vegetables. There's no reason to avoid carb rich nutritious foods such as sweet potatoes, squash, postachio nuts, etc.

Also "diets are dumb just eat a balanced diet" is ignorant uninformed advice. It's literally the "just be urself" advice of the nutrition world.
    Last edited by Echoherb; 2017-12-13 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    Talk to me in 30-40 years and we'll see how well that eat what whatever you want diet works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoherb View Post
    Talk to me in 30-40 years and we'll see how well that eat what whatever you want diet works out for you.
    tbf he/she can be perfectly healthy as long as don't overdo it. Anyway, in 30-40 years we probably will be able to print 3d intestines or something

Quote Originally Posted by Echoherb View Post
    I will be 60-70 in 30-40 years so I don't think that is something I would worry about. xD Life expectancy is 75 here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fad diets are for idiots. That's my opinion.

Its pretty simple, if you consume fewer calories than you burn, you lose weight. If you have the "willpower" to commit to some fad diet then you have the willpower to just eat a normal diet in moderation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a 'fad' diet fan. Been getting warnings from professional people about Keto and a few others.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post

Its pretty simple, if you consume fewer calories than you burn, you lose weight. If you have the "willpower" to commit to some fad diet then you have the willpower to just eat a normal diet in moderation.
    This is advice dumb fat people give lol.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post

It's hardly a fad diet, it's been used for over 70 years. And for many it's a way of life. You really don't need that many carbs in your nutrition.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    The most important aspect of a diet is consistency. People need a lot of willpower and they also need to be objective and consider whether or not any given diet is truly working for them. I think one of the biggest mistakes people make when it comes to dieting is trying to go cold turkey. It's better to slowly cut down on unhealthy habits, gradually replacing specific foods with healthier alternatives rather than simply jumping right into the deep end.

I also think some people need to make peace with the idea that they can be notoriously fussy eaters. I know I am - and that there's some stuff that they just won't be able to stomach or enjoy no matter how hard they try.
    And /Thread 10/char

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by George Costanza View Post
    CICO is the only thing that works.
    Deal is, I found it way easier to get CICO right by doing lazy keto.