Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Potential issue in placement match ranking

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthe...ld_went_73_in/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthe...ar_bugged_for/

Just a heads up, could be nothing, but people are getting some strange ranks after placements. This, according to threads above, seems to be affecting all divisions including previous masters tiers.

No official word yet, could be lies and salt but there're a hell of a lot of complaints; just so everyone here is aware.

UPDATE:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    With yesterday’s patch, a number of players unfortunately encountered an issue that caused them to be placed at ranks that were significantly different from where they ended the previous season. This issue is unrelated to our Performance-Based Matchmaking implementation, and is instead a result of an issue with Matchmaking Rating seeding from the previous season. We’ve finished diagnosing the problem and are currently working on a fix which, once completed, means that we will be resetting the Hero and Team League records (including placement matches) of any affected accounts.

In order to implement the fix without taking down the servers, we will need to disable the Hero and Team League Matchmaking queues for roughly an hour. Our current plan is to start this in all regions at some point tomorrow, Dec 14, but we will keep this thread updated if anything changes. For players that have yet to complete your ranked placement matches, we recommend waiting until this issue is addressed.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this causes for those of you that have already made significant progress into Season 1 2018. We’re extremely excited to show off the major gameplay changes included in this patch, and will be working hard to implement a fix so you can experience everything the Nexus has to offer without major issues like this. Thank you very much for your patience.

UPDATE 2:
    Good evening, everyone,

We've just completed the planned Ranked Mode resets for this season on affected accounts in all regions. Affected accounts will see that they are no longer placed, and internally, their ratings are now seeded properly for the new season. Thank you for your patience, and we deeply apologize for the inconvenience. We wish you all luck in your placements!

UPDATE 3:
    Hey everyone,

As mentioned in earlier forum posts regarding Matchmaking Ratings here and the follow up here, we have been working hard on a fix to address the issue affecting placement matchmaking ratings. After further investigation, we identified the root cause and have deployed a fix. We apologize to everyone who has been impacted by the rough start to the new ranked season.

Once the hotfix is live in your region, we will re-enable matchmaking for Hero League and Team League. And although the issues we encountered were unrelated to the Performance Based Matchmaking improvements, we are reinstating Ranked mode with the Performance Based Matchmaking updates turned off. We want to make sure we’ve resolved all of the issues and that the ranked season placements are in a good place before we reinstate any new features. We understand many of you are very excited about the Performance Based Matchmaking changes and we’ll update everyone once we’re ready to turn them back on again.

Additionally, to ensure the accuracy and fairness of this ranked season, we have decided to completely restart this season. That means all accounts, regardless of whether they were affected by this issue, will be reset. We understand that this is very frustrating, particularly for those who have already redone their placement matches. Once again, we sincerely apologize to our passionate and dedicated players who have been impacted by this unfortunate issue. Thank you again for your patience as we work to make things right.
    UPDATE 4:
    We’ve continued to monitor how placement matches and the ranked matchmaking system have been performing since our most recent hotfix and reset. While the system is now performing much more in-line with our expectations, we’ve also found a small number of players who have moved up or down a little too far in the ranking system during their latest placements.

We’ve received feedback that placement matches can feel like they have too much impact on a player’s ranking—especially if their place in the rankings at the end of the previous season was solid. While the vast majority of players haven’t been affected by this, we agree with the feedback we’ve received that moving up or down more than one league as a result of placement matches can be a negative experience.

We believe this is a one-time abnormality due to the issues we’ve experienced since the season began. We plan to address it by manually correcting affected players’ current rankings and matchmaking ratings to put them back where they belong in the ranking system.

This means that players who are more than 1 League (5 Divisions) higher or lower than where they ended 2017 Season 3 at the time that we make these adjustments will be moved up or down to get them back on track. Additionally, we will also adjust players who are currently in placements and diverging too far from their Season 3 end-point. As a side note, those who are adjusted down after rising too high will still be able to claim the end-of-season rewards for reaching that ranking.

Finally, we’re making adjustments to our placement formula so that players who already have a ranking heading into a new season will not move quite as much as a result of their placement matches. Players who haven’t yet started or finished this season’s placement matches will also be affected by this change.

Once again, we sincerely apologize for the rocky experience we’ve had rolling into 2018 Ranked Season 1. We want ranked play to feel fun, fair, and challenging for everyone who queues up, and we’re working hard to ensure our ranking system provides those experiences. We understand that dealing with issues like these as a player is very frustrating, and it is also quite frustrating for us to know that any aspect of our game isn’t living up to our expectations—or yours. We’re sorry that the new season got off to a rough start, and we’d like to thank you very much for your patience as we’ve worked to address this series of placement issues.

We will remain vigilant in monitoring ranked play and keep you updated if any further hotfixes or adjustments are needed as 2018 Season 1 continues.
    Last edited by Ryme; 2017-12-20 at 09:28 AM.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    I may missed them or some new posts may have been added; but intruigingly, so far the people who supplied screenshots of odd placements, played TL. I was - just doing placements for the pony - Gold 1 at the end of the season and had people in Silver 2 ban over me, so obviously having higher MMR. This might just be league positions getting yanked closer to their corresponding MMR.

However the wierd case would be Oddish (streamer, ex-pro) being placed in Platin 2 after 8-2 placements according to one post, which should be a clear indication something is fundamentally bugged.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did my placements, got placed more or less the same. Finished Diamond 3 last season and now I am in Diamond 2.

Blizzard's response:

"We're investigating these reports. Currently, it looks like there may have been an issue with the initial MMR seeding for some players when the season started, which would then cause where they ended up after placements to off. We're digging into it and should have more information soon."

10+ Year Old Account
    Bug or not, matchmaker is fucked up.

You play in Diamond 2 and people can't draft a decent composition or just feed whole game. Like 90% of losses I had, were with at least 3 level deficit. This is next level broken, I never had this bad experience. Yeah, now I am in Diamond 4 and game keeps trolling me further.

Haha, wow. I'd probably uninstall if I went 8-2 and got stuck in bronze. Hopefully they figure out what happened and reset whoever was affected, because this may ruin (even more) HL for weeks, if not months.

Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    Bug or not, matchmaker is fucked up.

You play in Diamond 2 and people can't draft a decent composition or just feed whole game. Like 90% of losses I had, were with at least 3 level deficit. This is next level broken, I never had this bad experience. Yeah, now I am in Diamond 4 and game keeps trolling me further.
    If the number of people affected by that problem is sizeable then you'll get all kinds of out-of-place people in various ranks. They dun goofed for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

"With yesterday’s patch, a number of players unfortunately encountered an issue that caused them to be placed at ranks that were significantly different from where they ended the previous season. This issue is unrelated to our Performance-Based Matchmaking implementation, and is instead a result of an issue with Matchmaking Rating seeding from the previous season. We’ve finished diagnosing the problem and are currently working on a fix which, once completed, means that we will be resetting the Hero and Team League records (including placement matches) of any affected accounts.

In order to implement the fix without taking down the servers, we will need to disable the Hero and Team League Matchmaking queues for roughly an hour. Our current plan is to start this in all regions at some point tomorrow, Dec 14, but we will keep this thread updated if anything changes. For players that have yet to complete your ranked placement matches, we recommend waiting until this issue is addressed.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this causes for those of you that have already made significant progress into Season 1 2018. We’re extremely excited to show off the major gameplay changes included in this patch, and will be working hard to implement a fix so you can experience everything the Nexus has to offer without major issues like this. Thank you very much for your patience."

15+ Year Old Account
    I got gold 5 myself. Went like 4-5 or 5-5. That is around what I was at last time.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

So it was true then, updated OP. Honestly, they should probably reset everyone at this point since people will have certainly played some unfair matches due to the placements of others.
    I am the lucid dream

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    So it was true then, updated OP. Honestly, they should probably reset everyone at this point since people will have certainly played some unfair matches due to the placements of others.
    I think they are afraid of a more general backlash if they do something like this.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/hero...ge=17#post-337

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Good evening, everyone,

We've just completed the planned Ranked Mode resets for this season on affected accounts in all regions. Affected accounts will see that they are no longer placed, and internally, their ratings are now seeded properly for the new season. Thank you for your patience, and we deeply apologize for the inconvenience. We wish you all luck in your placements!
    I am the lucid dream

People are reporting that the bug persists however. I'd still wait until further official word.

https://twitter.com/BlizzHeroes/stat...93227627040768
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We've temporarily disabled Ranked Queues in all regions while we investigate reports of inaccurate placements and season resets. Thank you for your patience.
    I am the lucid dream

How to drive people away from your game 101.

Deleted
    I was diamond 3 last season but got master 1000 in my placements. Was too good to be true.

Deleted
    Wow I had such a nice start before the reset (7:1) just to get a zeratul/valeera/morales team for the first match after the reset... tilt is real

Message from Alan Dabiri (Game Director):

Hi guys,

I just want to apologize to all of you regarding the Ranked mode issues we caused with this release. This was a massive update that included many changes across many areas of the game. We had a lot of internal testing and an extended PTR, but we still fell short here. There’s really no excuse. We need to do better, and I take full responsibility for this. The team is hard at work on fixing the issues, and once we have a fix deployed, we will re-enable the ranked game mode as soon as possible.

I just want to thank you all for your feedback, passion, and most of all, patience as we work to make things right.

Ranked season has been reset, and performance-based matchmaking has been disabled from ranked for the time being:

Hey everyone,

As mentioned in earlier forum posts regarding Matchmaking Ratings here and the follow up here, we have been working hard on a fix to address the issue affecting placement matchmaking ratings. After further investigation, we identified the root cause and have deployed a fix. We apologize to everyone who has been impacted by the rough start to the new ranked season.

Once the hotfix is live in your region, we will re-enable matchmaking for Hero League and Team League. And although the issues we encountered were unrelated to the Performance Based Matchmaking improvements, we are reinstating Ranked mode with the Performance Based Matchmaking updates turned off. We want to make sure we’ve resolved all of the issues and that the ranked season placements are in a good place before we reinstate any new features. We understand many of you are very excited about the Performance Based Matchmaking changes and we’ll update everyone once we’re ready to turn them back on again.

Additionally, to ensure the accuracy and fairness of this ranked season, we have decided to completely restart this season. That means all accounts, regardless of whether they were affected by this issue, will be reset. We understand that this is very frustrating, particularly for those who have already redone their placement matches. Once again, we sincerely apologize to our passionate and dedicated players who have been impacted by this unfortunate issue. Thank you again for your patience as we work to make things right.

Reports still coming in that this isn't fixed.
    I am the lucid dream

What the hell did they do to mess it up this bad? O.O

Deleted
    There's still Starcraft II - or possibly even older - code hidden somewhere under the hood and the last person able to decipher it spends his day happily staring into the sunset in some assisted living community in SoCal...

Seriously, they seem overambitious, unwilling to leave alone parts that aren't broken. They need to finetune more and rework, relaunch less and stop reinventing the wheel.