Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    I've tried playing around settings. Since even turning everything to low doesn't help fps that much it's pretty desperate.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't checked HDD usage but I did transfer it from SSD to HDD and didn't get anything but painful loading screens.
    Sorry I can't be of much help. It's hard to troubleshoot through forums. Just keep digging and you will get it. Almost all of us have been there at one point or the other.

Isn't this just a WoW problem? I have a GTX 1080 ti and run all games on ultra high settings without any problems. However, I can't seem to get WoW on a stable >60 fps with everything on Ultra on 1080p. Other games work just fine and give me hundreds of fps.

I had to set the 'view distance' sliders tot 7 out of 10, and changed most of other settings to 'High'. I finally have a good FPS, but during an invasion boss in a 40 player raid, I'm still getting drops tot 25-30 fps.

7+ Year Old Account
    Change the view distance andnother 2 related settings to 7. Its pre legion values, but doubles my frames. 10 is just not optimized and 7 is a hardly noticeable difference
    Network Administrator with a desire to be creative. MCSE Server 2016, A+, Network+ certified and an avid gamer.
    Aorus Xtreme RTX 2080 Ti | i9 9900X@ 4.6ghz custom loop | Level 120 Void Elf Protection Warrior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revved View Post
    Isn't this just a WoW problem? I have a GTX 1080 ti and run all games on ultra high settings without any problems. However, I can't seem to get WoW on a stable >60 fps with everything on Ultra on 1080p. Other games work just fine and give me hundreds of fps.
    Yeah it does seem like it. Blizzard is infamously bad at optimizing WoW for high end hardware. Guess if I don't find a solution we'll just have to wait for Blizz to fix these things.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried lowering view distances. No effect

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah it's starting to look like it's only WoW's faulty optimization that is causing all of this.

Since I just played OW all maxed out (epic) with 150% resolution scale and didn't drop under 70FPS during gameplay (fps is limited due to her monitor) and hot daymn I guess I should consider upgrading my 660 since OW looked so amazing on her computer :P

Fans started spinning faster, GPU usage jumped up and everything was totally awesome with OW.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm running a Ryzen 5 1600 + a MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X, and I cannot complain about the performance. It's damn good. I even had to clock back the 1600 from 4Ghz down to 3.8 after the latest bios update, and still the last time I played I had pretty good FPS. It could be some faulty hardware. Ryzen or not, the CPU, although not as strong for WoW as Intel's CPU's should not yield bad FPS. Less than Intel? Sure, but not by such a margin that it'll be gamebreaking or mess up a strong GPU performance compared to an older one.
    Ryzen 3600X | MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wi-fi | 16GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MHz | Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3 Gold | NZXT Kraken X62 | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO | 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe M.2 | 3x 27" HP Omen 165Hz 1Ms Latency

Yeah it does seem like it. Blizzard is infamously bad at optimizing WoW for high end hardware. Guess if I don't find a solution we'll just have to wait for Blizz to fix these things.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried lowering view distances. No effect

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah it's starting to look like it's only WoW's faulty optimization that is causing all of this.

Since I just played OW all maxed out (epic) with 150% resolution scale and didn't drop under 70FPS during gameplay (fps is limited due to her monitor) and hot daymn I guess I should consider upgrading my 660 since OW looked so amazing on her computer :P

Fans started spinning faster, GPU usage jumped up and everything was totally awesome with OW.
    Check out my reply on first page

overwatch is easier on that CPU

Snip
    Last week a guy was complaining that his 1070 also hit really low fps. He said it was a issue with blizzard side can't remember the exact words. But its something to do with optimisation and legion, apparently it was confirmed with a blue post from blizzard.

That being said, he was reporting 20-40 fps in quest areas suramar being the worst. but 120 fps upwards in games like battlefront. I'm still pretty sure he has a dodgy card for it being that low but I don't doubt there could be a issue. Sounds like you might have it.

Not sure if you can use it as a point of reference but I run a 1080 ti now and sit at 120 on ultra in all areas besides suramar and Dal where I hit 70

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svisalith View Post
    Check out my reply on first page

overwatch is easier on that CPU
    But I have the same CPU and it has better results in WoW. RAM is in dual-channel mode and only WoW is having trouble. No other game.

Quote Originally Posted by Revved View Post

I had to set the 'view distance' sliders tot 7 out of 10, and changed most of other settings to 'High'. I finally have a good FPS, but during an invasion boss in a 40 player raid, I'm still getting drops tot 25-30 fps.
    I'm on ultra with the 1080 ti, but I turn off shadows to get my fps where they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Last week a guy was complaining that his 1070 also hit really low fps. He said it was a issue with blizzard side can't remember the exact words. But its something to do with optimisation and legion, apparently it was confirmed with a blue post from blizzard.

That being said, he was reporting 20-40 fps in quest areas suramar being the worst. but 120 fps upwards in games like battlefront. I'm still pretty sure he has a dodgy card for it being that low but I don't doubt there could be a issue. Sounds like you might have it.

Not sure if you can use it as a point of reference but I run a 1080 ti now and sit at 120 on ultra in all areas besides suramar and Dal where I hit 70
    But dodgycard should show symptoms outside of WoW as well?

But I have the same CPU and it has better results in WoW. RAM is in dual-channel mode and only WoW is having trouble. No other game.
    That was one potential performance issue, i suggested another (throttling) and there could be more. Having the same CPU model number doesn't mean that it's neccesarily running at the same performance level; you should monitor and benchmark it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svisalith View Post
    That was one potential performance issue, i suggested another (throttling) and there could be more. Having the same CPU model number doesn't mean that it's neccesarily running at the same performance level; you should monitor and benchmark it.
    Why whould it throttle though when it doesn't get hot and all the power plans are for performance? I monitored it with HWMonitor and temps were at 56 celsius.

- - - Updated - - -

It just looks like for whatever reason WoW is not using the GPU fully like OW did.

Why whould it throttle though when it doesn't get hot and all the power plans are for performance? I monitored it with HWMonitor and temps were at 56 celsius.
    I can't give an exact reason but you're basically complaining about poor CPU performance and saying that your own CPU of the same model does the same thing but better. You can verify that with benchmarking to be sure but the most logical cause of that is some CPU hardware/throttling issue, second most being a software issue hurting CPU performance

It just looks like for whatever reason WoW is not using the GPU fully like OW did.
    Because it's CPU limited, the graphics card is rendering whatever frames come through and then sitting idle waiting for the next one
    Last edited by Svisalith; 2017-12-13 at 01:52 PM.

But dodgycard should show symptoms outside of WoW as well?
    You'd think so, but with a 1070 running wow at 30 fps in a quiet area it's not just optimisation problems, something else is up

10+ Year Old Account
    All right so I ran GeekBench on both systems and there is something wrong because my system had Single-Core Score 3944 and Multi-Core Score 18267.
    While her system shows Single: 1903 and Multi 8832

Her memory scores are lower (around 1000 each) so is this a case of bad RAM? Since on paper her RAM should be better Kingston 16GB (2x8GB) 2666Mhz and BIOS is set to 2666mhz as well. Mine is Kingston 8GB (2x4) 2133Mhz.

- - - Updated - - -

My system https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/5422754

Her system: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/5423102

All right so I ran GeekBench on both systems and there is something wrong because my system had Single-Core Score 3944 and Multi-Core Score 18267.
    While her system shows Single: 1903 and Multi 8832

Her memory scores are lower (around 1000 each) so is this a case of bad RAM? Since on paper her RAM should be better Kingston 16GB (2x8GB) 2666Mhz and BIOS is set to 2666mhz as well. Mine is Kingston 8GB (2x4) 2133Mhz.
    Isn't RAM bottlenecked by CPU?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnedge View Post
    Isn't RAM bottlenecked by CPU?
    Ryzen should support 2666Mhz and I've even seen people recommend 3200Mhz to get max performance out of Ryzen. (Ryzen tends to favor fast RAM)

- - - Updated - - -

i added links to our systems

Ryzen should support 2666Mhz and I've even seen people recommend 3200Mhz to get max performance out of Ryzen. (Ryzen tends to favor fast RAM)

- - - Updated - - -

i added links to our systems
    Yeah I checked it out.

What I mean was if her CPU is throttled it will also effect the RAM since it passively throttles the RAM via bottlenecking.

Overwatch will play better still in the scenario because its a GPU based game.

WoW will be be affected in this scenario since its a CPU based game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnedge View Post
    Yeah I checked it out.

What I mean was if her CPU is throttled it will also effect the RAM since it passively throttles the RAM via bottlenecking.

Overwatch will play better still in the scenario because its a GPU based game.

WoW will be be affected in this scenario since its a CPU based game.
    So what would cause all of this since our systems are pretty much identical apart from GPU and RAM. Faulty Ryzen chip or something else?

So what would cause all of this since our systems are pretty much identical apart from GPU and RAM. Faulty Ryzen chip or something else?
    Possible or some super funky setting somewhere. I don't know alot about newer AMD chips so I'm not exactly sure if there is a way to manually throttle is (up or down).

Just blindly throwing darts at this point.

You pretty much need to check every setting possible.