Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    The game would be totally alien to you now after that gap of nearly six years, i recommend you download it and check it out, despite the 'concerned' posters here the game isn't that dead, you'll find plenty of people about, especially now as the Christmas Event (Fae Yule) has seen an uptick in player numbers.

Also Guardians and Defiants are now 'cool' with each other so you get to play with the opposite Faction, be in the same Guild, do content together....
    Yeah it reminds me of EverQuest2 in that sense. I'm not sure there's a betrayal type questline like in EQ2 but I know you can pay for a faction change and keep the race you are. That happened years ago that you could do that.

Deleted
    Hmm, weird stuff.
    Sounds to me like they just pulled this whole thing to try and get some attention to a dying game....

1. They release a grossly overpriced lootbox, so grossly overpriced that it HAS to catch attention on the internet.
    2. After loads of attention, they pull the whole thing down.

Doesn't sound reasonable to me; If you'd change anything because of the complaints, you'd just lower the price to a reasonable level, not take the whole thing down alltogether.
    Just sounds like a pathetic shot at getting people to try out the game imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Wow... It's hard to believe this game is still around. I started off as Guardian on Deepweb at launch and went Defiant shortly before Patch 1.1. I left Rift after Patch 1.2 when the guild I was in died. The game was pretty fun when it was on a subscription based model. Back then though, it had a hard time of escaping the stigma of being another WoW clone.

I remember how community used to be really important to the Devs, looks like they are just about the money now, oh how times have changed.
    The community is all over the place now. Steam version has 500 players in a 24 hour peak. Now while that is NOT a representation of the entire playerbase I highly doubt there are that many more on the non steam client.

RP community. Minuscule.

Raiding community. Again Minuscule.

PvP community. All but essentially gone. Hell you aren't even supposed to be PvPing in Rift according to CMs.

They keep claiming community is important but well we all know that's a huge lie since the population has dwindled greatly due to the complete shift in design decision to money>quality for 3 years now.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-12-15 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    They're "listening" because all the media attention they're getting, and the majority of the comments, are all extremely negative. Just like EA "listened" to feedback about lockboxes and said they were fine...until the outcry and negative media coverage got loud enough that they were forced to actually take action.
    Exactly. What they meant to have said is "We got caught" I'm sure they weren't really "listening" to likes of us, but someone like Jim Stirling who has a large Youtube following can really shine a spotlight on what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    Doesn't sound reasonable to me; If you'd change anything because of the complaints, you'd just lower the price to a reasonable level, not take the whole thing down alltogether.
    The really crazy thing is that they already had an easy way out with it. They could have just said "Oops! Typo, sorry guys! The price was always intended to be $9.99". And that would have been that. They could carry on selling them and the controversy would have blown over.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    The community is all over the place now. Steam version has 500 players in a 24 hour peak. Now while that is NOT a representation of the entire playerbase I highly doubt there are that many more on the non steam client.
    I wouldn't trust the numbers on Steamcharts, but as a general rule it will show you the population trends in the broad strokes. It's a handy weathercock to guestimate where a games overall population is heading rather than a full host of meteological tools to tell you exactly how many people play at any given time and underlying reasons why that is the case.

It's been clear for some time that the Rift population is shrinking and that does show up in the data we have available. I hardly think that's news to anyone at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Exactly. What they meant to have said is "We got caught" I'm sure they weren't really "listening" to likes of us, but someone like Jim Stirling who has a large Youtube following can really shine a spotlight on what they're doing.

The really crazy thing is that they already had an easy way out with it. They could have just said "Oops! Typo, sorry guys! The price was always intended to be $9.99". And that would have been that. They could carry on selling them and the controversy would have blown over.

I wouldn't trust the numbers on Steamcharts, but as a general rule it will show you the population trends in the broad strokes. It's a handy weathercock to guestimate where a games overall population is heading rather than a full host of meteological tools to tell you exactly how many people play at any given time and underlying reasons why that is the case.

It's been clear for some time that the Rift population is shrinking and that does show up in the data we have available. I hardly think that's news to anyone at this point.
    Oh for sure on Steamcharts. Hence why I said they do not entirely represent it.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post

Even if steam users only represent 1% of the population those are pitiful numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Even if steam users only represent 1% of the population those are pitiful numbers.
    Eh to be fair if it did then 500 as a percent would mean 49,500 are on the other client.

Somehow I doubt this game has 50,000 active players. Especially judging by how few I saw in the world and hell in major cities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Congratulations in advance for wining the Nobel prize 2018 for quatum mechanics, you've just proved what physicists had suspected for years, that there is a multiverse out there.

In one Universe you're playing Rift:

judging by how few I saw in the world and hell in major cities.
    In the other you don't even have it installed:

Anyone with it installed wanna confirm that because I really don't want to reinstall it?
    Mindblown !! i'd love to hear your thoughts on String Theory and Quantum Entanglement, fascinating stuff.

Congratulations in advance for wining the Nobel prize 2018 for quatum mechanics, you've just proved what physicists had suspected for years, that there is a multiverse out there.

In one Universe you're playing Rift:

In the other you don't even have it installed:

Mindblown !! i'd love to hear your thoughts on String Theory and Quantum Entanglement, fascinating stuff.
    SAW. Maybe read perhaps? If I had it currently installed I would have said the word "seen" or "see".

And if you bothered to read that thread I said I had just reinstalled Windows 10 recently. But well it's obvious you did and are just cherry picking as per usual. It was on the install not 3 days ago. So how would it be installed on a fresh install of an OS when I have other stuff that is on priority to install first such as work programs and other games?

A backup was out of the question and I wanted to do a clean wipe anyway because the PC was an absolute mess. Rift is most certainly not the first thing I thought of installing on my clean install and I doubt I will reinstall it. But of course to you uninstalling it for a day or more means an opinion is irrelevant right? Not how it works.

But of course you already knew that and just chose to pick the initial quote from that thread rather than actually read what I posted in response to someone. Nothing new there. God forbid someone asks if something is still on the store because they don't fancy logging in to check it or are unable to right?

This is why you are on ignore. And my own fault for responding to you here. You literally take everything out of context or warp it so it suits your argument.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-12-15 at 05:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes, the usual 'play the victim' deflection card, everyone's ganging up on me, everyone is taking what i say out of context, well boo hoo! If you plan to show your "concern" and play the SJW to prevent players falling into greedy Companies evil hands at least play the game you say you're 'concerned' about.

Ah yes, the usual 'play the victim' deflection card, everyone's ganging up on me, everyone is taking what i say out of context, well boo hoo! If you plan to show your "concern" and play the SJW to prevent players falling into greedy Companies evil hands at least play the game you say you're 'concerned' about.
    If anything you are playing the deflection matey. And factually stating you taking something out of context is not how a "victim card" works.

Now if you had provided all the context and I tried to play the "muh feelings" bit then that would be it. I merely added the missing bits to your statement you intentionally left out. Nothing more. So if anything you are trying to play a victim complex by intentionally leaving context out of your argument for your own benefit.

Just one last time for old times sake. How would I play a game when I had to reinstall Windows? Why would I install a game first over the countless other things that take priority such as work and security software? Or the games I play most of the time?

But sure keep acting like not playing a game doesn't entitle you to a critique or opinion. Not like we have heard that line over and over. You have to play a game and act like it's the best thing since sliced bread despite all the obvious points that the game has dwindled ever since it started down the F2P route? Surely that can't be a coincidence that as it went F2P the quality dwindled right?

Anyway laters. Plus it's off topic and I don't want to be involved in derailing this thread any further. I'd rather discuss the topic at hand.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-12-15 at 06:14 PM.

Alright, I don't like needing to make these warnings but here we go. Please keep discussion on-topic and productive, discussing the posting habits of others and being unnecessarily snarky/rude is considered off-topic/spam and contributes nothing to the discussion. Please keep posts respectful and to the topic of the thread. If other posters posting habits bother you, you're welcome to put them on ignore rather than derail discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Alright, I don't like needing to make these warnings but here we go. Please keep discussion on-topic and productive, discussing the posting habits of others and being unnecessarily snarky/rude is considered off-topic/spam and contributes nothing to the discussion. Please keep posts respectful and to the topic of the thread. If other posters posting habits bother you, you're welcome to put them on ignore rather than derail discussion.
    Yeah I'll admit it's partly my own fault here Edge. I apologize.

But to get back on topic. I just don't understand why the CEO wants to keep trying to do something like this without causing a commotion among the playerbase.

If you introduce a 100 dollar lockbox. It's gonna cause commotion. But yet they seem to want to possibly continue with these aggressive ways of making money.

If they want a good thing to do then do a deal like the Essentials pack. That is actually pretty ok value for money. I mean throw a mount and pet into it as well and that would be a sweet deal.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-12-15 at 06:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering the amount of characters I farm that on I'd be pissed.

I still don't have the mount. 12 different toons per week as well.

As I said I still think it's an error. It has to be. No way they would do this literally a day after the P2W fiasco.
    Are the said 42 mounts able to be obtained in game?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Are the said 42 mounts able to be obtained in game?
    Yes Jay. Most if not all are.

Thankfully though they removed this because they knew it was a silly move.

The box worked like this. You pay 100 dollars and got 1 guaranteed mount. Out of a pool of 42. That's it. 100 dollars for a mount!

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess the reason why @Eleccybubb is so vehemently against what you say is that you defend Rift and Trion Worlds like its your baby or something. Its really strange how you defend every single business decision that they make, considering how transparently obvious it is that they are simply milking the cow for as much as they possibly can before they shut down the servers.

If WoW did that, I'd be against it. 100 dollars for a random mount... and especially if the mounts can be found in game. I could see a company charging $100 or more for some rare mounts that are farmable in game, for the EXACT mount that you want, but for it to be random and charge that much, thats just non-sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes Jay. Most if not all are.

Thankfully though they removed this because they knew it was a silly move.

The box worked like this. You pay 100 dollars and got 1 guaranteed mount. Out of a pool of 42. That's it. 100 dollars for a mount!
    I mean, if Blizzard had the option for people to get the invincible mount for like $200 or something, im sure some people, a minute few would buy the mount so they wouldn't have to keep farming for it. Thats the only way I could see this being viable for any MMO. Make it high enough where not too many people would be willing to buy it, but leave it as an option for those who don't want to farm for it anymore, but it would have to be the exact mount you want, not a random draw of 42 mounts, lol.

Probably because you're a shill for a dead game produced by an even worse company and while you have a passion for Rift, and that can be admirable, you're going about it all in the least likable way possible (especially since you're a 'community ambassador').

Rift at one point was a very fun game, with new and interesting mechanics (and a few gimmicks) with a promising, stable community. Now however, it is anything but that and is little more than a shell of its former self being bilked by a game studio that has yet to make a release match it's lofty claims.