Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gaming Laptop for ~$500?

Title. There's a good chance within the next 2 months, I'll be looking into buying a gaming laptop. It's meant to be a temporary fix until I can build a PC about a year later, so I wanted to keep it at $400-500 or so. And I want it as a laptop particularly because I plan to build a PC later.

After doing some research, this is the best laptop I could come up with near the budget, but was curious if anyone knew of a better option?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...tag=lapninj-20

Not expecting to get something that can play WoW/OW/etc. on ultra or anything, but would enjoy having it play somewhat decently.

Saw this om amazon.. https://www.amazon.com/CUK-W650-Busi...ds=1050+laptop 1050ti Will get you 60 FPS steady in most games.

That's a bit out of my price range. I think about $550 (after tax) would be about the maximum. The one I linked is literally at the very end of how much I could spend.

Thanks though. Anyone else know of a better deal than the one I linked?

15+ Year Old Account
    You won't get a "gaming" laptop for $500. The 940MX in your link will play some games reasonable, but anything a bit demanding will just stutter...
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    You won't get a "gaming" laptop for $500. The 940MX in your link will play some games reasonable, but anything a bit demanding will just stutter...
    I'm mostly looking for a laptop for wow, overwatch, and heroes until I can buy the gaming PC a year later.

Doesn't need to play on ultra. Just give decent FPS, even if I have to play on low.

Quote Originally Posted by Myzou View Post
    I'm mostly looking for a laptop for wow, overwatch, and heroes until I can buy the gaming PC a year later.

Doesn't need to play on ultra. Just give decent FPS, even if I have to play on low.
    I understand, but understand that if you go to a certain level of cheap the quality decreases dramatically, it's hardly even comparable.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/c...cmp%5B%5D=3595 since the 940mx is practically a smartphone/tablet gpu in comparison, and the 1050ti actually a true graphics card.

So what 100 dollars give you here is pretty palpable in difference, from what I've heard 940 mx gives you around 60 fps if you turn down the graphics to lowest, AND reducing the renderscale, whilst the 1050ti gives you 60 + fps in 1080 ULTRA. wouldn't you think that's worth it if considering you were almost at that price point anyway?
    Last edited by Heffladin; 2017-12-14 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heffladin View Post
    I understand, but understand that if you go to a certain level of cheap the quality decreases dramatically, it's hardly even comparable.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/c...cmp%5B%5D=3595 since the 940mx is practically a smartphone/tablet gpu in comparison, and the 1050ti actually a true graphics card.

So what 100 dollars give you here is pretty palpable in difference, from what I've heard 940 mx gives you around 60 fps if you turn down the graphics to lowest, AND reducing the renderscale, whilst the 1050ti gives you 60 + fps in 1080 ULTRA. wouldn't you think that's worth it if considering you were almost at that price point anyway?
    I'll definitely consider it. Perhaps in a couple months there will be a different option that's a little cheaper.

Then again, I might just opt to get the gaming PC at that time, (I just had a disability hearing, and if I get approved, the backpay is in 3 checks. The biggest is last), depends on what else I need to buy with the first check. My lawyer was optimistic, which is why I thought looking now to save time later would be helpful. I was planning on going to a local computer store and having them help me build a $1500-2000 PC, as I don't trust myself to build something myself. That many wires + OCD are not a good mix. Only thing I've been told is aim for a GTX1080 when I get it built.

Is computer upgrade king even a decent company? (The laptop you linked)

Saw this om amazon.. https://www.amazon.com/CUK-W650-Busi...ds=1050+laptop 1050ti Will get you 60 FPS steady in most games.
    I dont feel this way often but 10/10 on the Trolling /claps

At first I was like "wtf is this Chinese POS" then I saw this photo from amazon and had to tip my hat to you

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozler View Post
    As someone who recently tried to find a mid-priced ($1000-1500 USD) laptop to game on, I doubt you'll be able to find anything in that price range that can play games smoothly, even WoW. WoW is not graphically intensive, but it does demand some from a CPU. Those two areas are going to be substantially weak in that price range. You said $550 after tax, so it's safe to assume you need to find a laptop between $450-500, and that pretty much leaves you with workbook-style laptops. I'm no laptop guru or anything, but I don't think you'll be doing much gaming (even on low settings) with a $450 laptop. Maybe if you played Minecraft, but you can count Overwatch out. WoW is a maybe on Low settings, but I think New Dalaran is gonna destroy it.

Good luck in your search. Maybe some holiday deals will be in your favor. Or possibly a lightly used one.
    Considering I'm playing WoW currently on a 2008 laptop that cost $70, I would imagine it should be possible. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    I dont feel this way often but 10/10 on the Trolling /claps

At first I was like "wtf is this Chinese POS" then I saw this photo from amazon and had to tip my hat to you

Do you have a different suggestion? As his is kinda the only one I've gotten. Lol.
    Last edited by Myzou; 2017-12-14 at 11:03 PM.

Those specs aren't half bad for a $650.00 Laptop.

A... $70 laptop? Wow. You, sir or ma'am, are a pillar of patience and humility to game on such a machine. I'm scared to know what's inside of a $70 laptop.
    It's... not very pleasant. Hence looking forward to being able to upgrade. Being disabled sucks. The wait for disability is even worse.

I'm starting to think I should just wait until I can for sure buy one to ask for help, as the one the guy linked earlier is already almost sold out, haha.

Though I also wonder if I can find a pre-built PC for $1500-2000, as I imagine it'd cost the same (after their fee) to get it built by a PC shop. But that's way down the line. Lol.

10+ Year Old Account

Benchmarks. Does decent in 720p.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I wish you the best of luck! This time of year can really bring out some good deals. If I'm not mistaken, Intel released a new chipset so maybe you could get a laptop with an "outdated" chipset at an even better price.

Let us know what you find.
    I'll likely just ask again when I get the income.

Though, that Computer Upgrade King laptop that was linked actually looks really good. And the company has between 4.3 and 4.5/5 stars on Facebook and every other review site, so I'm actually considering it, does it have that much better specs than the one I linked or is the person who posted it messing with me?

Tower
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optipl...oAAOSwFb5aJEDG

Video Card
    https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Display...words=gtx+1050

Pick any monitor and kb/mouse you like. You will still come in under budget and be able to play wow a way higher settings than any $500 laptop. Spending $500 on a gaming laptop is a waste of money. You wont be getting anything worth buying until you about double that budget.
    Last edited by lloose; 2017-12-18 at 12:25 AM.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

10+ Year Old Account
    A... $70 laptop? Wow. You, sir or ma'am, are a pillar of patience and humility to game on such a machine. I'm scared to know what's inside of a $70 laptop.

Sweet sweet 3DFX glide and Windows ME.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    Tower
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optipl...oAAOSwFb5aJEDG

Video Card
    https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Display...words=gtx+1050

Pick any monitor and kb/mouse you like. You will still come in under budget and be able to play wow a way higher settings than any $500 laptop. Spending $500 on a gaming laptop is a waste of money. You wont be getting anything worth buying until you about double that budget.
    Please read the post. I'm specifically looking for a laptop because I plan to buy a PC a year later.

Please read the post. I'm specifically looking for a laptop because I plan to buy a PC a year later.
    Id just save your money then. Use the $500 to put into your new desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    Id just save your money then. Use the $500 to put into your new desktop.
    Considering I'll have more than enough for the desktop at that time, I'd rather not.

Hence trying to find a cheap laptop that can play wow remotely okay. (I currently play at 1 FPS on low w/ Render Scale set to .25, to give you an idea) I'd even be happy playing at 10 FPS at low settings. It's not meant to be a long lasting laptop. Just one that will suffice for a year.

Considering I'll have more than enough for the desktop at that time, I'd rather not.

Hence trying to find a cheap laptop that can play wow remotely okay. (I currently play at 1 FPS on low w/ Render Scale set to .25, to give you an idea) I'd even be happy playing at 10 FPS at low settings. It's not meant to be a long lasting laptop. Just one that will suffice for a year.
    This will run wow just fine and save you some money. If all you are wanting is a cheap laptop that will run WoW decent then here you go.
    https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-320-15...n%3A9647497011

A video showing some games running on that setup.

Edit: Linked the wrong video originally mybad. It play's Tomb Raider decent in the video and that is a more demanding game. It should have no problems running WoW at decent settings.

It will be a night and day experience compared to what you are playing on now.

Battery life mite suck tho so u will be playing with it hooked in the wall.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-12-18 at 01:13 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD