1. #1

    f2p player help with PvP and WvW item and character progression

    Alright I am a f2p player, cant afford the game right now.

    Anyway I really enjoy the PvP and WvW in the game. I made 2 level 80s - ranger and necro.

    In both I have mixed berserker and soldier gear.

    However I can not figure out how to progress to the next ascendant gear via PvP and WvW.
    If someone can help me what chest progression to chose for armor, weapons and trinkets I will be very glad. Then from which vendors, do I need to craft anything (hopefully not) and etc.

    Also what do you do with all the junk you can not sell? I am really not into crafting. Do I sell them to the vendors?

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer barackopala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chile, Viña del Mar
    Posts
    3,754
    Berserker is not at all wvw viable, you can find guides on metabattle.com for wvw stuff, most of them use expansion elite specs and expansion related stats (like minstrel's for support classes or viper for certain condi classes), ascended armor in wvw will eventually drop for you, but i wouldn't get my hopes high for them to drop as they more consistently drop on fractals tier 4 daily chests.

    Do not vendor your mats, sell them on the TP ideally, you might wanna save mats for crafting so you can craft your first batch of ascended armor in order to start your fractal progress so you can more easily do tier 4 fractals later on for even more ascended gear.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

  3. #3
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Tyria. Now visiting the Crystal Desert.
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by ins View Post
    Alright I am a f2p player, cant afford the game right now.

    Anyway I really enjoy the PvP and WvW in the game. I made 2 level 80s - ranger and necro.

    In both I have mixed berserker and soldier gear.

    However I can not figure out how to progress to the next ascendant gear via PvP and WvW.
    If someone can help me what chest progression to chose for armor, weapons and trinkets I will be very glad. Then from which vendors, do I need to craft anything (hopefully not) and etc.

    Also what do you do with all the junk you can not sell? I am really not into crafting. Do I sell them to the vendors?
    Just like Barackopala said, you'll have more success doing some PvE Fractals. They're fun and interesting. I don't remember well if you can sell mats with a f2p account, but selling mats is my main way of making money. Definitely do that if you need some extra gold.

    Also, try to find a guild or consistent group to help you farm fractals. Most of GW2 players are friendly, but having in-game friends can change everything!

  4. #4
    The Lightbringer barackopala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chile, Viña del Mar
    Posts
    3,754
    Another good tip is to do daily tequatl, it has a really low ascended droprate but it CAN drop, and even if you dont get it you'll still earn 1gold for low a really low effort, 1g is quite good for someone who is just starting the game, faster gold earning methods require one of the following:

    A) Market knowledge (and money investment) trying to flip materials-items off the TP, can be EXTREMELY lucrative but requires some insider knowledge or foreshadowing of future stuff to be added into the game, for example, right now selling materials is pretty much a no-go due to wintersday having bags of mats for karma.

    B) Knowledge of future events, as in, is wintersday going on? if it is you can farm the jumping puzzle for presents, those can be sold for a good ammount of money, if you're good enough you can farm the JP for good money/hour ratio. In my case i do recall having a Super adventure box skin, luckily i had the most expensive one (this was prior to anet revealing that SAB would come back), i eventually sold it for around 1k gold (whilst the other ones were going for around 100~300g), ended up deciding to sell it a few weeks before april's fool announcement, HUGE profit before the item went down in price to practically 50 gold.

    C) Knowledge of what to farm and how to farm, this one is tricky, there have been methods to earn gold easily, you had RIBA farm, Dry Top meta farm (older), Champion farm (WAY older, like one of the oldest methods), AB Multimap (ended up getting patched) and currently Ishtan farming which is quite profitable (there also was another one that required you gathering some ores, which got disabled due to how much money you could end up making).
    If you're good enough for fractal farming that's also a good way to earn easy gold, do your T4's, CM100-99-Recommendeds and you get good money, not the best but at least you're also getting possible ascended drops and ascended mats that can sell for extra... there is a certain fractal that can be farmed for encryptions if your group is good enough too.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

  5. #5
    First of all thank to all of you! I really do not understand most of what you say I mean the vocabulary is strange in GW2.

    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Berserker is not at all wvw viable, you can find guides on metabattle.com for wvw stuff, most of them use expansion elite specs and expansion related stats (like minstrel's for support classes or viper for certain condi classes), ascended armor in wvw will eventually drop for you, but i wouldn't get my hopes high for them to drop as they more consistently drop on fractals tier 4 daily chests.

    Do not vendor your mats, sell them on the TP ideally, you might wanna save mats for crafting so you can craft your first batch of ascended armor in order to start your fractal progress so you can more easily do tier 4 fractals later on for even more ascended gear.
    Yeah I found decent builds in metta battle. However I am really not into these metta stuff. I am playing to have fun. So far core ranger with long bow and great sword is what I like the most. I entered the gold league in PvP with a build I found in there - power survivor is the name, I cant link it it seems. However I noticed I am not doing much in WvW really. It does seem to have some staff meta going on for most ranged classes. Well anyway. As I said I am playing for fun. I rarely die just trying to keep range, high ground and add some long ranged DPS and revive people. I dont joint the raids of the commanders as I am not sure I am useful in these raids.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Just like Barackopala said, you'll have more success doing some PvE Fractals. They're fun and interesting. I don't remember well if you can sell mats with a f2p account, but selling mats is my main way of making money. Definitely do that if you need some extra gold.

    Also, try to find a guild or consistent group to help you farm fractals. Most of GW2 players are friendly, but having in-game friends can change everything!
    Apparently I can sell mats I just found out. I am not really interested in PvE part of the game. I do not feel like doing dungeons or fractials or anything PvE oriented. Or are fractials PvP oriented? I am not sure how to find a guild that is mostly focused in PvP and WvW. I will gladly join one, that can accept me with my weird play style to play long bow ranger. I am not sure if they will want such a player. And in the same time I am trully not interested in doing PvE stuff


    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Another good tip is to do daily tequatl, it has a really low ascended droprate but it CAN drop, and even if you dont get it you'll still earn 1gold for low a really low effort, 1g is quite good for someone who is just starting the game, faster gold earning methods require one of the following:

    A) Market knowledge (and money investment) trying to flip materials-items off the TP, can be EXTREMELY lucrative but requires some insider knowledge or foreshadowing of future stuff to be added into the game, for example, right now selling materials is pretty much a no-go due to wintersday having bags of mats for karma.

    B) Knowledge of future events, as in, is wintersday going on? if it is you can farm the jumping puzzle for presents, those can be sold for a good ammount of money, if you're good enough you can farm the JP for good money/hour ratio. In my case i do recall having a Super adventure box skin, luckily i had the most expensive one (this was prior to anet revealing that SAB would come back), i eventually sold it for around 1k gold (whilst the other ones were going for around 100~300g), ended up deciding to sell it a few weeks before april's fool announcement, HUGE profit before the item went down in price to practically 50 gold.

    C) Knowledge of what to farm and how to farm, this one is tricky, there have been methods to earn gold easily, you had RIBA farm, Dry Top meta farm (older), Champion farm (WAY older, like one of the oldest methods), AB Multimap (ended up getting patched) and currently Ishtan farming which is quite profitable (there also was another one that required you gathering some ores, which got disabled due to how much money you could end up making).
    If you're good enough for fractal farming that's also a good way to earn easy gold, do your T4's, CM100-99-Recommendeds and you get good money, not the best but at least you're also getting possible ascended drops and ascended mats that can sell for extra... there is a certain fractal that can be farmed for encryptions if your group is good enough too.
    Can you elaborate what is tequatl? And what are these farms you are talking about?

    Now again. Can you help me with what progression I chose from the reward tracks from PvP and WvW so I end up with ascended gear? I really, really do not understand how it works with this reward paths. I may be stupid or something, but for the first time in a MMO I find it hard to understand how things work.

    Also other questions. As I noted I end up somehow with an exotic gear thanks to karma and badges of honor. What can I do now with Karma and Badges of Honor or do I chose other reward from the WvW chests that give Badges of Honor.

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer barackopala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chile, Viña del Mar
    Posts
    3,754
    Tequatl and triple trouble are world events that are harder than the basic world bosses, you can see them here:
    -https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Event_timers

    The world events are run on a timer, if you click the part bellow the time that shows on the webpage for every event you'll see a bracket code (I.E: [&BKoBAAA=] ) if you paste that on your gw2 chat it'll show you the waypoint nearest to the event, completing world boss events rewards you with some rare gear and sometimes exotic gear, but for tequatl and triple trouble you have a chance to earn ascended gear, keep in mind tho the droprate is quite low.


    I am not too sure on how to quickly earn ascended gear on PvP and WvW but i've earned my fair share from them from just ranking up, the droprate tho is quite low, that's why i'd recommend to try climbing on Fractals of the Mists so you can get some traction into the gearing process (it's pve oriented), or you can go to bitterfrost frontier (a map which if you havent played previously you'll have to buy the gems to unlock that story from season 2), there you will want to farm winterfrost berries, you can trade them for accesories, backpiece and an amulet, all of them of ascended quality, doesnt take long if you farm the berries every day with 2 or more characters.

    I dont think buying exotic gear with badges and karma would be an amazing plan, if you have tons of them maybe, but ideally you might wanna buy it from the TP, from those wvw chests oyu might wanna get either the badges or proof of heroics so you can quickly skill up alts and stuff, for example i got my ranger to instantly get the druid spec and soulbeast spec as i wasnt used to playing a ranger, i ended up loving druid to death.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

  7. #7
    Fluffy Kitten Rivelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, USA
    Posts
    6,676
    You can get ascended chests from PvP from just leveling up your PvP rank, but it's kind of rare. If you play ranked PvP (instead of unranked), you can get three armor (or weapon) marks per season by finishing getting enough pips to get all of the chests before the final chest repeats. Three marks is enough to buy some of the smaller (shoulders, boots, gloves) ascended pieces from the vendor in Heart of the Mists...or you can wait for a second season to start and save your old marks. The larger ascended (helm, chest, pants) cost four marks each.

    Without access to the HoT living story maps, you can't farm for ascended accessories. If you want to get ascended gear that's not entirely RNG, outside of what I told you for PvP (and you don't want to PvE), you are going to HAVE to craft.

    I can understand liking playing a game for PvP aspects, and I know some people on populated servers do an awful lot of WvW, but honestly if GW2 PvP was the only thing I did I'd quit before long. That community is pretty small and also SUPER toxic. I've been bouncing around in high gold and low platinum and people are just assholes in every rank from what I've seen.

  8. #8
    Isn't the Spvp gear separate from the regular gear? I think they use sort of a template system where you can freely swap out stat combos before the match (unless I am confusing this with another game). This allows you to test out certain builds and experiment.

    Also, there are reward tracks with chests at the end for doing spvp in the interface screen, you can run through those tracks and pick up some chests there as well.

    The easiest way to get ascended gear with the stats you want is through crafting, but you will have to do some pve for that, I think.

  9. #9
    Titan PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    12,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    Isn't the Spvp gear separate from the regular gear? I think they use sort of a template system where you can freely swap out stat combos before the match (unless I am confusing this with another game). This allows you to test out certain builds and experiment.

    Also, there are reward tracks with chests at the end for doing spvp in the interface screen, you can run through those tracks and pick up some chests there as well.

    The easiest way to get ascended gear with the stats you want is through crafting, but you will have to do some pve for that, I think.
    Both WvW and sPvP have ways to earn ascended gear. In WvW its the one with gives your an armor piece at the end. Forgot what its called but its not the dungeon ones.

    In spvp you earn tokens during the seasons that you use to get ascended gear.

    Both modes also have their own "legendary" armor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •